Home Main Category General Firearms

.300 Blackout question

JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 MemberPosts: 48 Member
I do alot of reading here but not much posting. Anyway, They recently made hunting with suppressors legal in FL. With that in mind, I now find myself interested in a cartridge I was not previously interested in. I already have a couple TC Prohunter frames so I'm thinking a custom barrel chambered in .300 blackout and threaded for a suppressor. I know its not as tacticool as an AR but is there any reason why it wouldn't be very functional? What would the ideal barrel length be for subsonic rounds? Might be ugly but it should be pretty sweet I think.

Replies

  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    I would save the money and get a production barrel in .308 and have it threaded. You can buy or load the .308 to mirror the Blackout. The Blackout is purpose made (short) to fit in an AR magazine.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Member Posts: 48 Member
    You know, I think this is a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. I read the release by FWC and immediately started thinking of the blackout lol. I would like it to be as compact as possible, my thought was 14-16" barrel plus the suppressor.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    14" barrel will need an additional tax stamp for a short-barreled rifle. I'd imagine that in .300 Blackout a 16" barrel will do just fine.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    I think it's a fine round. I have a 700 with a suppressor, and it's quiet and quite a thumper with the 220 gr. bullets. Of course, the .308 is a more versatile round, if that's what you're looking for. I've got a .308 and didn't want another. I don't know the load for a reduced .308, but I'm wary of low powder levels.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    Gene, I think that folks are using Trail Boss for the subsonic .308 loads.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    The .300 BLK is a great deer round. I would go with as short a barrel as you want to deal with - 8" or 9" if you are going pistol or SBR.

    I really don't understand the hating on the .300 BLK. For me and everyone I know who actually have used it on deer, it performs perfectly.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    And there's nothing a .308 can do a .30-06 can't do better. Your point being?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Member Posts: 48 Member
    Probably go the 308 route, i just wasn't thinking. Got stuck on the other for some reason.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    I'm not sure we should interrogate personal choices. If it was pointless to make them, I doubt they would be made. As I said, I have a .308, a .30-06, and an 8mm Mauser. None of these choices was based on performance alone.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This.
    A subsonic 300 BO ONLY makes sense in the AR platform.

    Agree. A 308 cal suppressor is a versatile piece of gear, but, no point in paying a premium for brass to launch a subsonic .308 bullet from a non AR rifle.
    You can load any 308 cartridge at subsonic levels,
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You like it.
    I think its pointless in a bolt gun.
    It's that simple.
    Don't be a bitch cause I don't like it.

    Care to back up this opinion with facts? Or strengthen your opinion in some other way? As it stands, yours is a simple preference, with nothing beyond that. But I'd be glad to hear your reasons so long as you don't do a Sam on me and get defensive. WHY is it pointless? Is a .308 pointless because you can do everything with a .30-06?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I'm not sure we should interrogate personal choices. If it was pointless to make them, I doubt they would be made. As I said, I have a .308, a .30-06, and an 8mm Mauser. None of these choices was based on performance alone.

    tumblr_inline_neydcpth7G1s3i907.jpg
    I do alot of reading here but not much posting. Anyway, They recently made hunting with suppressors legal in FL. With that in mind, I now find myself interested in a cartridge I was not previously interested in. I already have a couple TC Prohunter frames so I'm thinking a custom barrel chambered in .300 blackout and threaded for a suppressor. I know its not as tacticool as an AR but is there any reason why it wouldn't be very functional? What would the ideal barrel length be for subsonic rounds? Might be ugly but it should be pretty sweet I think.

    He asked our opinion, we are giving it........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    I'm not cpj, but, you can't run a 30-06 in a short action bolt gun, but, a 308 can send a 168 A Max scooting along at 2800fps, whereas a 300BO cannot.
    A 300BO is a turd in a bolt gun, because you have no option to load it up to full strength. A 308 is easily loaded down. 30-06 requires a long action.
    If you're gonna go long action, might as well go 300WM, 300WBY, or 300RUM, any of which can be loaded down to subsonic levels, or 30-06 level, yet have the potential to outrun the venerable 30-06 by a wide margin.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,125 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Care to back up this opinion with facts? Or strengthen your opinion in some other way? As it stands, yours is a simple preference, with nothing beyond that. But I'd be glad to hear your reasons so long as you don't do a Sam on me and get defensive. WHY is it pointless? Is a .308 pointless because you can do everything with a .30-06?

    Barrel= way cheaper
    Brass= way cheaper
    Brass availability= Pretty much every place that has reloading supplies
    Ammo= way cheaper
    Ammo selection= Huge!
    Ammo availability= pretty much anywhere that sells ammo
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with the 30-30. And he only asked if it would be functional, which of course it would be. I'd actually like to have a 30-30 bolt gun.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Barrel= way cheaper
    Brass= way cheaper
    Brass availability= Pretty much every place that has reloading supplies

    Ammo= way cheaper
    Ammo selection= Huge!
    Ammo availability= pretty much anywhere that sells ammo

    It's more than simple to make .300 BO brass from a .223 case. An elementary procedure, really. As for versatility, the whole range of .30 caliber bullets work in the BO, too. So the versatility just doesn't pan out.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rpx5XbqAgM
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    Find a Rem. or Savage short action with a .308 bolt face. Have the bolt face opened up and a new barrel chambered for .30-30 stuck on it. Feed rails might need tweaking, but I doubt it.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Find a Rem. or Savage short action with a .308 bolt face. Have the bolt face opened up and a new barrel chambered for .30-30 stuck on it. Feed rails might need tweaking, but I doubt it.

    I don't want one THAT bad. My preference would be a Rem 788 in .30-.30, but I wouldn't want to invest the capital in one.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I don't want one THAT bad. My preference would be a Rem 788 in .30-.30, but I wouldn't want to invest the capital in one.

    Whether you want one or not isn't really important. Somebody else might want one, and I just gave the information on how to get one with available components. A Savage .308 that has been on the used rifle rack for a while might be had cheap. A .30 cal. unchambered barrel threaded for a Savage is also not expensive. The only machine work would be opening up the bolt face and reaming the barrel with a chamber reamer for the .30-30 cartridge.

    Somebody else might want to do it; not you, and not me, but somebody might.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement