Home Main Category Clubhouse

More bad news...well in context. Who lives in MD

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,534 Senior Member
Outside of the van going up, I've found my assignments are dwindling daily.
The Army force shaped me out the macdill assignment
Another guy got to the Bragg assignment before I did. Sucks being fours hours behind...
I am now down to Meade, Derrick, or California if I don't want to go do another tour down range. Getting into the fight is appealing, but that would be another year away from family. I would have a total of 65 months deployed...
There is no way in hell I am going to California...even if they guaranteed me CSM.
So tell me the cons of going to Maryland....
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I was in and out of Suitland and Andrews AFB quite a bit, and always liked it, but strongly disliked Pentagon work due to traffic.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Gun registration ... all what they think are "assault weapons" must be registered. 10 round mags or less but those owned are grandfathered in. You have to get apply for a handgun qualification license if you want to have handguns. They have an approved gun list like CA too. It is almost to the point for you want to take a handgun out of your home you better have a CHP which is "may issue". Transporting any firearm must be unloaded and cased or you are subject the waterboarding almost. MD is so bad I go out of my way to take I-81 heading north to miss DC and only have to be in MD for less than 40 miles. I know we are protected under the FOPA but I am still scared to go through MD almost as much as NJ and NY
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,620 Senior Member
    Can't or don't want to stay in AK?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Chiro....both.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Yeah. All AR's and AK's not provably owned before Oct 10the 2013 are verboten and any that are registered. If you own the handguns the list does not apply. Same for magazines. You can possess all of the hicaps you want but need to take possession out of state. You can forget concealed carry but our AG told the court that long gun open carry is perfectly legal (Yeah right) and why we don't need concealed carry. We do have a very healthy firearm community and lots of great places to shoot and hunt. Stay out of the cities and you should mostly be among humans. Maybe you could make my birthday Blastfest next year. Oh yeah Thank You Very Much!!!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Vic lives in southern Maryland, mookie lives right across the river in Virginia, and I'm a bit futher out in Virginia, so at least you got some people to get together with. As for living there, after Sandy Hook the state enacted a bunch of new gun laws that caused Beretta to move out to another state. The liberals in Annapolis and Baltimore control the politics, so while a bunch of good people in southern and western Maryland are just as conservative as we are, they're hung by the mouth-breathing leftists.

Meade is in an OK area, but many of the DC suburbs on the MD side are welfare communities. Let us know what you decide, and if you end up at Meade, we'll get together.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Meade isn't too bad a place to live. I believe that base housing has been upgraded recently. Meade also has a nice gun range out to 600yds.
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Gun registration ... all what they think are "assault weapons" must be registered. 10 round mags or less but those owned are grandfathered in. You have to get apply for a handgun qualification license if you want to have handguns. They have an approved gun list like CA too. It is almost to the point for you want to take a handgun out of your home you better have a CHP which is "may issue". Transporting any firearm must be unloaded and cased or you are subject the waterboarding almost. MD is so bad I go out of my way to take I-81 heading north to miss DC and only have to be in MD for less than 40 miles. I know we are protected under the FOPA but I am still scared to go through MD almost as much as NJ and NY
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    I was stationed at Ft. Meade a long time ago....wasn't a bad post.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Retire if you are ready? Man, I guess Maryland is better than CA....................maybe not? Were they thunking Fort Irwin/NTC.............Alaska to hot desert would be quite a change.

If you lived on base in CA or MD do the same gun laws apply on base as the rest of the state? I know you have to register guns on base to keep them there and it is a PITA keeping the guns and ammo separated going in and out the gate to the range and even on base if a range is available. Forget CCW on bases.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    When I leave here, I will have 19yrs. I could drop papers as soon as I get to where ever. But, I want to get the kids out of the house.

CA would be out at camp Roberts in San Louis obisbo. But like I said, I wouldn't do CA if they guaranteed me CSM.

Of the choice between Meade and Detrick. I am leaning to Detrick. It would give me a chance to work at RMMC. For a strategic mission, it is not bad.
    Detrick is close enough to Pennsylvania for you to live with humans!
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Vic lives in southern Maryland, mookie lives right across the river in Virginia, and I'm a bit futher out in Virginia, so at least you got some people to get together with. As for living there, after Sandy Hook the state enacted a bunch of new gun laws that caused Beretta to move out to another state. The liberals in Annapolis and Baltimore control the politics, so while a bunch of good people in southern and western Maryland are just as conservative as we are, they're hung by the mouth-breathing leftists.

Meade is in an OK area, but many of the DC suburbs on the MD side are welfare communities. Let us know what you decide, and if you end up at Meade, we'll get together.

Have to get together with Vic and Mookie sometime. We need some regional meet and greets/shoots.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,899 Senior Member
    If you were to be stationed at Ft Meade, you would be 35 minutes from Alexandria, Va. A much friendlier place to live, while having a manageable commute.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    If you were to be stationed at Ft Meade, you would be 35 minutes from Alexandria, Va. A much friendlier place to live, while having a manageable commute.

What color is the sky in your world? That commute would be an hour on a slow weekend.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,899 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    What color is the sky in your world? That commute would be an hour on a slow weekend.

My Daughter lives near Huntington station, have made the d rive 3 times to go to the PX. Of course much longer drive during rush hour.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    During rush hour on a normal day it's over an hour.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member