Home Main Category Hunting

First Deer!

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 14,183 Senior Member
A Buckless Yooper no more! Well not really a Yooper, same basic DNA though. Son #1 shot this six pointer, the one side had missing tines to make it an 8, with a .50 Thompson Omega Z5 at 25 yds with a 270 gr. Platinum Power Point and 90 grains ofBlackHorn 209 and a Federal 209A shotshell primer, this was the load we worked up for elk hunting this year with MHS.
058_zps824cabf2.jpg

We had one doe come out at 125 yds at sunrise and he almost took a shot be she never stopped walking so we hunkered down in 4* with a 15 mph NW wind and partly cloudy, supposedly felt like -13. I was checking the cell phone for time since we had to leave by 8:45 and I realized that I had 4 bars and 3G of service so I bumped the forum on and had read about one paragraph of Zee's hunt yesterday and KABOOM! I about crapped my pants, my kid had not said a word as 5 deer and this buck walked up to the elevated stand we were in, I thought for a moment he had touched one off in the stand, I immediately saw the buck was trying to get up and we tagged team reloaded while he kept an eye on the deer but he expired by the time we got the primer in. The kid did awesome, he was quiet and smooth, shoulder, lock, kaboom all in one motion. I took the above photo and decided it was way to cold to be bare handed and we were on some time constraints so I gutted it and sent him back for the truck, we were able to drive right up to the deer. We were hunting on my office managers parents place and out of her dads stand, her husband was bow hunting out of another stand and could not quite get the angle on a doe, he saw 12 deer this morning, they graciously allowed the kids to hunt since it has been tough to say the least up by the Canadian border where my family hunts, I only saw 2 does all season, 6 days of hunting and we only got one 6 pointer in camp the last weekend, bucks only in our zone this year.

Here is the entrance wound:
008_zpsc23048b4.jpg

The other side of the hide:
009_zpsed75ead5.jpg

Broke a rib and hit the spine, knife point is on the entrance, no exit wound.

010_zpsbc12ccb4.jpg
Shredded the front of the loin, could not find the bullet, must have dumped it out when gutting. Bullet hole is at about 12'0clock to the left of the picture.
012_zps5d8c4e40.jpg

Did find a piece of bullet on the hide, looks like it went superior from the entrance.
013_zps033ab676.jpg

Awesome Day!
060_zps14a1b308.jpg
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Awesome job!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Excellent! It is looking like this year is turning out great for youth hunters. I think CPJ's kid is due to score one pretty soon.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,545 Senior Member
    Your boy did very well. Congrats to him.

Sako
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    That is excellent! Very proud of your son to endure such temps and still pull off a good shot.

Thanks for the autopsy pics. I'm learning the difference in lead (cast) bullets at lower velocity and fragmenting (expanding0 jacketed bullets at higher velocity. There is a distinct difference in terminal damage.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Good for you guys.
    No holding him back now.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    Congratulations

that was some cold weather to be out in.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,040 Senior Member
    Congrats! Nice deer.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Congratulations to your son, nice buck for his 1st

When I lived in Mn. & Wi. it was not unusual to hunt in -15f weather.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Excellent! It is looking like this year is turning out great for youth hunters. I think CPJ's kid is due to score one pretty soon.

I keep waiting to see some pictures from his woods.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Yep!
    sakodude wrote: »
    Your boy did very well. Congrats to him.

Sako
    Thanks! He just read all the posts.
    Zee wrote: »
    That is excellent! Very proud of your son to endure such temps and still pull off a good shot.

Thanks for the autopsy pics. I'm learning the difference in lead (cast) bullets at lower velocity and fragmenting (expanding0 jacketed bullets at higher velocity. There is a distinct difference in terminal damage.
    We dressed appropriately and he knows we need to move once we start to shiver, besides, we were Ina 4X8 stand with a Mr. Heater going, they are quiet, light, and take the edge off on your face , feet and hands. It is interesting that big bullet did not exit, there must be a big chunk I missed, I could not feel any more fragments, conventional wisdom would say that big bullet at that range with the BH209 should have been a pass through.
    Yes, he definitely got the bug this fall when a 3X3 muley walked up to within feet of him.(replying to Weatherby)
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Congratulations

that was some cold weather to be out in.
    Thanks, MN weather is consistent:)
    Thanks, not to big and not too small, big enough to say hey look what I got and small enough to hunt hard for a bigger one.( replying to Bullsi)
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Congratulations to your son, nice buck for his 1st

When I lived in Mn. & Wi. it was not unusual to hunt in -15f weather.

JAY
    Thanks, I was telling the boys this years cold reminds me of hunting with my dad when I was their age, except I had crappier cold weather gear than they do.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    The steam coming off the deer's body is cool.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Congratulations to son #1 for his first. His grin says it all.
    Kudos to you and your office manager for making it happen. As Jerm says, it looks like this year is a great year for young hunters and gives me hope for the future of hunting.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Congratulations to son #1 for his first. His grin says it all.
    Kudos to you and your office manager for making it happen. As Jerm says, it looks like this year is a great year for young hunters and gives me hope for the future of hunting.

Thanks, he definitely like to read you hunting and fishing posts.
    Zee wrote: »
    The steam coming off the deer's body is cool.

That was a good hour and a half after he was gutted, and after a 45 minute ride in the covered box of a pick up, can't cool them off fast enough even in cold weather.
    cpj wrote: »
    Me too!

Good job Chiro Jr!

Are you done or is there more season for the kids to hunt?
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 806 Senior Member
    You guys must be tougher than me, with a windchill of -10 this morning, I opted for church and a nap today instead of deer hunting! Tell the young lad congrats
    You guys must be tougher than me, with a windchill of -10 this morning, I opted for church and a nap today instead of deer hunting! Tell the young lad congrats

I will, thanks! I missed the past 4 weeks of church being on the road hunting, I feel like I have been gone 6 months. Couple more years you will be used to MN and they will stop asking you about your accent:jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,123 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Very nice

Yes, a good day, he is thinking about meat snacks now, we will see how long a deer lasts 4 boys these days at my house.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Great job by your young man! Great that he got his first with a muzzleloader, no less.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Great job by your young man! Great that he got his first with a muzzleloader, no less.

Thanks, he has paid his dues, he has been hunting with his own tag since he was almost thirteen and with me since he was in second grade, lots of butt time in a stand, I am very glad he got a good opportunity at a younger age than I had. I have been surprised the boys enjoy the muzzleloaders as much as they do, I have had them for a couple years from banquets and never bought the the rest of the necessary stuff until late last year, they took right to them.
    cpj wrote: »
    Still another youth only weekend in January, and we have "alternative method season". Muzzle loaders and handguns.

Good for them, hope they score, persistence pays off.