Home Main Category General Firearms

Price Check, Ruger Security Six 6" .357

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,702 Senior Member
LGS has a blued Ruger Security Six, 6" .357 with Pachmayr Decelerator grips in the used case. It looks to be in what I'd call 90-95% (I'm bad at rating guns though). It has a drag mark, and has obviously been fired, also has a few nicks in the finish here and there but no actual dings in the metal. He's asking $325, which comes to just under $350 OTD.

Good price? Online people seem to be asking $450 and up, but I'm not sure if they are actually getting it.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    The six inch barrel will make it a little more difficult to sell, I believe. I think that price is at the top end, but I might be WAY wrong. Offer $300 and see what happens. I've only had one 6" revolver in my life, so I may be undervaluing it.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Last one I had I bought used LNIB and sold fer $175...................but the prices have gone crazy. Yep back in the 80s........................:spittingcoffee: :rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    Everytime I see one for sale, they start at 400.00 and go up up up. That would be a good deal around here.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    good price..... you should be posting pictures by now
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    I'd buy it
    of course it would make a trilogy.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Go buy. Now.

Yep.
    If it were a 4" gun, I'd be all over it.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    Shop opens Monday and I work nights so I'll be there when the door opens.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    If I were looking for one I would buy it. What sights are on it?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    If I were looking for one I would buy it. What sights are on it?

Adjustable black rear, all black front ramp.
    Bring in three $100 bills and make an offer. Complain about the 6" barrel. It can't hurt!
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    Go get it before it's gone. I own a six inch Security Six and I love it! I've had a number of revolvers in four and six inch. The Ruger is my favorite 357. It was my hunting OS sidearm for years before being replaced by a S&W Mountian Gun. I wanted a 44mag.

Mine wears Hogue grips and I replaced the factory spring with Wolfe's. It really improved the trigger.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Go buy. Now.

Do it...........go now..............fast

My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Check for a bulge in barrel. Check for tight cylinder with no excessive movement. Make sure the hand advances the cylinder under slight resistance on all chambers. Take it home :cool2:

Bah............but it......send it to Ruger later......they will make it happy again if needed..........
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    It costs a lot to send it to the factory. You got to pay postage overnight both ways, which is about $40, or used to be. I doubt it's got issues, as Rugers are hell for strong.

I send a Smith back for some reason I can't remember, cost me postage and parts, maybe a hand. It was an old revolver, a Model 29, IIRC. I bought a Model 28 that had end shake and tightened it up myself.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    What is the intended purpose of this revolver if any? Mine was a cougar/bear gun. For concelled carry 6' might be a bit much. For target/hd I'd prefer the 6". As a hunting/os weapon I'd go 6" all the way. If there's no intention buy it for the fish (Halibit)
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Freezer wrote: »
    What is the intended purpose of this revolver if any? Mine was a cougar/bear gun. For concelled carry 6' might be a bit much. For target/hd I'd prefer the 6". As a hunting/os weapon I'd go 6" all the way. If there's no intention buy it for the fish (Halibit)

Range toy. I've been fortunate enough to go well past filling niches in my collection, this is purely a good gun at a good price that grabbed my attention.
    Hope that it is still there for you to get.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I bought a blued Security Six .357 a little over 30 years ago for $325.00. Grab it while it's still available!
    Jerry
    It's now in waiting period purgatory. Pics when I rescue it. Did not get a stellar price but I consider it fair. Turns out it was actually labeled at $375 plus tax, and I got it for $370 OTD.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Make sure you put a Pachmayr camo Gripper on it just for cpj. He loves his rubber.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    It's now in waiting period purgatory. Pics when I rescue it. Did not get a stellar price but I consider it fair. Turns out it was actually labeled at $375 plus tax, and I got it for $370 OTD.

You need to get a FL carry permit and that silly waiting period will become a distant memory.
    While you didnt steal the gun, that wasnt a bad price either. I think you are going to enjoy shooting it, I do mine.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Bring it to Miami and we can shoot my 6" stainless GP 100 and compare them.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    You need to get a FL carry permit and that silly waiting period will become a distant memory.

Matt, even if you don't live in a state that has ccp's you can get a Florida permit because you're in the military. If you're not active or retired, you can still get a Florida permit through the mail with a copy of a DD214 even if you don't live here and Florida has reciprocity in 33 states.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Florida is good here in the Great Commonwealth of Virginia.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    The price is fair, buy it. I have had a, stainless, 6" security 6 for about 25 years and I will never trade it. It feels good in your hand and it is accurate to a fault. I can't, for the life of me, figure why they dropped it from the line.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    Good deal, glad to hear it was still there for you.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Well done