Home Main Category Hunting

Score another one!

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
Son-in-law Steve has some meat on the pole- - - - -Bang/Flop, no tracking, about 150 yards behind the house they're building on the farm. One shot with a 150 grain factory round from a Savage 110 .30-06. It's a nice, heavy-bodied 9 point. Luis, if your daughter sees this one, you're going to be in the doghouse for sure!

Steve_9_point_002.JPG

Steve_9_point_004.JPG

Gotta get busy and find the time to get myself out in the woods- - - - -SOON!
Jerry

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,664 Senior Member
    Really nice buck! No tracking...what not to love about that....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,000 Senior Member
    Great deer----I guess if you use enough gun they don't run away.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,656 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Great deer----I guess if you don't use a .270 they don't run away.

FIFY :tooth:

Seriously, nice catch there, Teach!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,018 Senior Member
    That is a nice heavy horned buck!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    One of the good things about opening up the doe quota to 3 per day for close to a 3-month season and limiting bucks to 3 a year is that the bucks get a chance to grow up. I'm going to guesstimate that this one is a 3-year-old or better. The possum police actually listened to the property owners a few years ago when we urged them to allow a liberal doe harvest as a population-control strategy. It seems to be working fairly well.
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    One of the good things about opening up the doe quota to 3 per day for close to a 3-month season and limiting bucks to 3 a year is that the bucks get a chance to grow up. I'm going to guesstimate that this one is a 3-year-old or better. The possum police actually listened to the property owners a few years ago when we urged them to allow a liberal doe harvest as a population-control strategy. It seems to be working fairly well.
    Jerry

That's a nice buck in my book, but this libtard 13 inch rule would make that buck illegal in most of Texas now. That buck could have lived to be 7 years old and I bet it wouldn't be much if any wider than it is.

I had to pass on one yesterday morning that I figure was probably 12.5 inches, but could have been 13. It was hard to tell. The way Texas Parks and Wildlife tells us to judge is if the main beams inside are wider than the ears at alert position, which according to them is between fully spread out width wise and straight up (Which I've never see one do). If it's just right at the ears, then it's probably 13 inches and legal.

On the buck I saw yesterday the right ear protruded out past the main beam about 2 inches, but the left ear was about that much inside the antler so I couldn't be certain of its width.

The woman that's on the lease with us said she's seen that buck in the game camera and she said she'll shoot it if she sees it because the rack is offset and not a normal deer. We both agree that this buck too won't get much wider than it is because it appears genetically defected, and that it will have to die of old age if someone doesn't break the law because it has a lot more mass than a normal buck of its size.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake, Tennessee has what seems to be a really uncommon situation- - - -a wildlife department with a fair amount of common sense. The vast majority of the deer taken here never see an official check-in station- - - -everything concerning harvest reporting is done online. That system relies on people having some integrity, and most of the hunters, at least in our neighborhood, are also sportsmen who believe in playing by the rules. I can't remember taking a deer harvested on our place to a formal check-in station in the past 3 years or so, but every one taken by anyone here has been reported promptly and honestly. That's the only way the system can work- - - - -honorable people doing the right thing, every time!
    Jerry
    Snake, Tennessee has what seems to be a really uncommon situation- - - -a wildlife department with a fair amount of common sense. The vast majority of the deer taken here never see an official check-in station- - - -everything concerning harvest reporting is done online. That system relies on people having some integrity, and most of the hunters, at least in our neighborhood, are also sportsmen who believe in playing by the rules. I can't remember taking a deer harvested on our place to a formal check-in station in the past 3 years or so, but every one taken by anyone here has been reported promptly and honestly. That's the only way the system can work- - - - -honorable people doing the right thing, every time!
    Jerry

Well, we had some similarity going until the second point you made. Here the wardens and and biologist have a lot of common sense about inforcement. But when it comes to all the citizenry being honest and forthcoming it's about 60%-40%. Most people try to go by the law, but about 40% believe it's cool to get by the game wardens.
    Also, the only checkin stations you will usually see anymore are on Government land and state hunts.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Nice shot on a nice deer!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,748 Senior Member
    Congratulations Steve. That a good looking deer!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Wow! Very nice buck and yes, you are correct...my daughter will not be seeing this one! Send my congrats his way!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,270 Senior Member
    Pass on to Steve my congratulations please Jerry. Its a great looking buck.

And like Wambli says, get out there and get yourself one........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Thanks, all! Steve has taken several does and a couple of button bucks, but this one is the first real set of horns he's harvested off their property. He was wound up tighter than an 8-day clock when we drove the pickup to the kill site to bring his deer in. Good for him- - - - -I love when the young folks score, even if I don't!
    Jerry
    I'm sure that one, or some of his kinfolks will make an appearance on the grill next May!
    :drool2:
    Jerry
  • KyBoaterKyBoater New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    Big bodied deer and decent mass.
    Fine eating.
    Thanks, all! Steve has taken several does and a couple of button bucks, but this one is the first real set of horns he's harvested off their property. He was wound up tighter than an 8-day clock when we drove the pickup to the kill site to bring his deer in. Good for him- - - - -I love when the young folks score, even if I don't!
    Jerry

Yeah Jerry, Us old guys deserve a good buck too! Ha!Ha!Ha!

I have seen that all of em got a doe, and it appears all of them are happy with that. Nobody wants to go out in the cold rain to get a buck. No body except me anyway. I went out this morning to get Mr. Buck and that scoundrel looked me right in the face and disappeared as fast as he showed up. But I could swear that right before he left the premises I saw him raise his right front hoof and make a well known gesture with a middle Finger (Don't ask me where a deer got a middle finger, but I swear he had one).

:roll2:........................:roll2:........................:roll2: