The Kids Had An Awesome Day

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,231 Senior Member
Both kids made a special trip home from College and this was the result of our first day out for KS Rifle season. Both Kids tagged out (buck and doe) and I filled a doe tag. This is what hunting is all about, I couldn't have asked for a better day!
The Remington VTR .308 scores for my Son and my daughter bloodied the new Mossberg .308 scout rifle. The body weight of my Sons deer was massive, one of the larger deer we have ever shot.
Over 700 lbs of deer in the back of the truck on the way home tonight - One heck of a day and a busy night and morning ahead!

kyledec62014.jpg

kyleampmeg2014.jpg

kyleampMegdec62014.jpg

meg2014.jpg

megdoedec62014.jpg

truckbed.jpg

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,616 Senior Member
    Wow!!! Incredible!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,219 Senior Member
    Wow!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Awesome!!!.
    Please pass on my congratulations to your son and daughter. Congratulations and kudos to you for 'bringing them up proper.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,272 Senior Member
    Hell of a hunt guys. Congrats to all.

Sako
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I haven't seen that many deer in a day in NW OK. Something weird is going on, I am blaming it on all the oil traffic.

Congratulations on a day for the books.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    That is above awesome, congrats to all of you!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    That's awesome. Very well done all around

Tell me more about the Mossberg scout
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    Excellent day, especially with the kids scoring nice deer. I too want to here more about the Mossberg, I have an ATR in .243 that I like more and more every time me or the kids shoot it.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    A great family day! You suck! :up:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    What an exceptional family memory that will never be forgotten. Congrats!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Awesome!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Good quality family time!!!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    What a great time. Congratulations to all of you.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Looks like a day to remember to me.

Maybe the kids can give you a few "pointers" for next year
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    Awesome, glad ya got to spend time with your kids.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,853 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    Both kids made a special trip home from College and this was the result of our first day out for KS Rifle season. Both Kids tagged out (buck and doe) and I filled a doe tag. This is what hunting is all about, I couldn't have asked for a better day!
    The Remington VTR .308 scores for my Son and my daughter bloodied the new Mossberg .308 scout rifle. The body weight of my Sons deer was massive, one of the larger deer we have ever shot.
    Over 700 lbs of deer in the back of the truck on the way home tonight - One heck of a day and a busy night and morning ahead!

kyledec62014.jpg

kyleampMegdec62014.jpg

Now that Buck be a keeper deer in anybody's book. And a nice doe for a pretty girl there. Be proud dad, it's your right. Have fun and I wish you all many more to come.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    Congratulations on a fantastic family day. Those kids will remember this day for the rest of their lives,,,,,,,,,,Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    You've got a bunch of butchering to do....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Awesome
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Thanks for all the nice replies fellas, it was a day that will never be forgotten.
    Hell of a long day of butchering today, but got it all done FINALLY!

Couple guys were asking about the Mossberg, it is the MVP Patrol rifle in .308. It uses AR Mags which is really nice, best I have gotten out of it just under 2" groups at 100 yards but I have not played around with many loads with it. I topped it with a Nikon Pro-Staff 3x9x40 and it has made a handy little deer rifle with acceptable accuracy. My daughter made a heck of a shot (aprox. 150 yards) on her buck last night when it and 3 other bucks stepped out into the field. I was very proud to say the least. The only complaint I have on the rifle is the "grittiness" of the bolt when feeding and ejecting, you really have to give it a pretty good tug, you can't baby it or it will hang up. I have a feeling it may smooth out after time, the rifle doesn't have 50 rounds through it yet. (could be because of the AR mags??)

mvp.jpg
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    If it's anything like the 223 version I have, it will clean up as you use it more. Plus, mine works a whole hell of a lot better with lower capacity pmags in it. Get a 10 round pmag and see how she plays

Dang, I was hoping mossberg had made a true scout based on the .308 patrol rifle. That would be… epic
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    If it's anything like the 223 version I have, it will clean up as you use it more. Plus, mine works a whole hell of a lot better with lower capacity pmags in it. Get a 10 round pmag and see how she plays

Dang, I was hoping mossberg had made a true scout based on the .308 patrol rifle. That would be… epic

Yes this. I want.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    Thanks twa, my ATR really likes Federal Fusions.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11