Home Main Category Hunting

30-06 Strikes Again

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
Took my grandson to the lease this morning because Jerminator inspired me with his son's first deer. Actually, we've been taking him out there for a couple weeks now. My grandson Blayne and I have been trying to score him a deer for 4 years. The first year when he was 12 I put in for the State drawing for a TPWD hunt at Choke Canyon WMA. That year I put in for both grandkids, his sister, Hayley and Blayne. But neither one could make the trip and i had to call and cancel because they both had the flu.

Then the next year we put in for Matagorda Island WMA, which is on the barrier island here between our bays and the Gulf of Mexico, and didn't get drawn. That place has a lot of competition for its hunts.

Then, the next year I put Blayne in for the James Daughtrey WMA, named after a game warden killed on duty that is just up the road about 25 miles west of Choke Canyon WMA. Hayley didn't want to go so I didn't put her in for the draw. We got drawn for that and went. Blayne missed two deer on this one, and he was pretty down hearted, missing his first deer he ever shot at. But I told him very few people score their first time, and to keep trying.

Last year we got drawn for Lake Sommerville WMA. I thought this was going to be it. There were some nice deer and plenty of them. However, again Murphy was at his game and Blayne hit his deer but we couldn't find it. One of the Workers at the WMA who was tracking it saw it limp into some serious brush never to be found.

This year we just decided to hunt my lease and I'm glad we did. This morning it was like DeJaVu of my deer a couple Saturdays ago. We got off late this morning and didn't get to the gate until about 6:45. It was getting light already and I had wanted to be setting in the blind before daylight. We went into the main gate and didn't get to the last until about 7:00 A.M. and there about 10 yards from the fence was a doe. I told Blayne to get out and rest the rifle on the fence post. He did and before I could blink, a doe was on the ground dead. Finally he has scored. I've seen some happy kids in my time, but that boys face wasn't big enough to hold that whole smile.

This whole experience was a long time coming together. I was almost as happy as Blayne. But I think his dad is as happy as anyone. He has told me the last two years he wanted more than anything for Blayne to kill a deer. Dad's and Granddads are like that. We love to pass this great experience on to family. I remember when my sons and one daughter killed their first deer. Blayne's mother is my oldest and she was 21 I think when she killed her first. But she may as well have been 12 the way she reacted. This is one of a parent's or grandparent's most memorable experiences.

I know it didn't happen without pics, so Pictures soon to come.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is awesome snake. Congratulations to the young man.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    That is awesome snake. Congratulations to the young man.

Thanks farmboy, and I congratulate all the members here that are doing the same. Jerm has kicked off a new wave of inspiration in me and I'm really happy my grandson scored today. This is better than killing them myself.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    OK in order to comply with forum rules and save myself $5, here are the pics I promised, though belated. But better belated than Never.

My grandson Blayne and his doe

IMG_0807_zps8a176032.jpg
    snake284 wrote: »
    OK in order to comply with forum rules and save myself $5, here are the pics I promised, though belated. But better belated than Never.

My grandson Blayne and his doe

IMG_0807_zps8a176032.jpg

For the pleasure of Zee and some other gore lovers here, this is a pic of the exit wound. I had one of the entry but I can't find it. But it wasn't near as impressive as the exit.

IMG_0806_zpsc87994cb.jpg
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    Well done. Good for him.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Outstanding! Tell Blayne good job.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Awesome, congratulations to the new (experienced) Hunter!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I see no deer blood on his face...
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Well done, Grandpa. You must be proud. Congratulations to both you and your Grandson.

It surprises me that you had him using a 30-06 instead of your beloved 270! :wink:
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    Great to see that Blayne finally scored Mike. I love reading reports in the hunting section when it involves those new to the sport.

Good on you both for persevering. Sometimes the first deer comes easy, other times it has to be worked for.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    shooter wrote: »
    Well done, Grandpa. You must be proud. Congratulations to both you and your Grandson.

It surprises me that you had him using a 30-06 instead of your beloved 270! :wink:

Hehehehe, Actually it's a long story. I have been adding to my collection so that when I will everything each of my kids and grand kids will get a rifle. So far I've been able to keep up with the numbers of potential inheritors. Since Blayne is the oldest grandson I had his rifle built back about four years ago on a Howa 1500 Short action that was a .22-250. I already had a 22-250 and I bought it with rebarreling in mind. I thought the .250 Savage would be perfect. And it probably was 4 years ago when Blayne was a little tike of 11 years old. But he's now 15 and he's blossomed a bit. He killed his first hog last December with my 8x57 Yugo Sporter. So this year I had already blooded the 30-06 and wanted to hunt with my .270. I ask him what he wanted to shoot and he pointed to the Remington. He would have been welcomed to the Winchester but he had heard me talking about the 30-06 so he wanted to try it. Also, my 06 pet load is a 200 grain Game King bullet over 56 grains of IMR 4831 which causes the 200 grain GK to come smoking out of the barrel at nearly 2700 FPS. That's a respectable load for sure. Good Velocity and heavy bullet. Can't beat it for killing ower. I really have faith in Game Kings. I've been shooting them as long as I've been reloading, about 34 years now. That's what I load in the .270 also, which has a lot to do with my confidence in it also. I put up with all the .270 joking but I have to say, in any rifle that can push a suitable projectile at 2700-3100 FPS it's going to kill pretty reliably. And in my opinion, Game Kings just do it so well. They penetrate and they expand well. That's a good combination for a bullet to have. They can get to the Boiler Room and they can wreck the plumbing and put the animal down for the count where there's not a lot of tracking and searching needed to find the deer.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Good hustle! Love the smile!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    bellcat wrote: »
    Good hustle! Love the smile!

Thanks bellcat. We went out again this morning and we're going again this afternoon. But I'm going to the rifle range to check out the .243 which my wife and I both missed several deer with, the 9.3x62, which I dropped on the scope the other day, and my son in law's 30-06 which he's never sighted in. Then we'll go out about 3:30 P.M. and see if we can score a couple more doe. We have this afternoon and tomorrow to get our doe because doe season here ends in this county for this season tomorrow evening at the end of legal shooting time.

Does this mean that if I see a shooter buck standing next to a doe that I'm gonna shoot the doe first? NOT!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Way to go, nothing better than being with a kid for his first deer.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    He Is the future of hunting congrats
    BigDanS wrote: »
    I see no deer blood on his face...

That's because my woman is an expert deer skinner and cleaner. Nobody gets bloody, not even her. If it was me doing it, everybody and everything within 50 feet would be bloody, LOL!

But if, however, you're talking about Blayne's initiation as a blooded deer hunter I guess I forgot. Next time somebody kills something, he's going in head first,

:tooth::tooth::tooth:
    I haven't looked at this thread in a few days, but I want to say thanks to all who posted and that I'm going to let Blayne look over all of your posts. Your positive comments will go far to inspire him to keep hunting. And it's true that a kid who hunts stays out of trouble and learns a lot valuable things about life.