First squirrel hunt

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,935 Senior Member
Finally, dragged my tired self out of bed before daylight and went to the hard to get to woods on base, got there about 0720. It was the right time as I needed daylight because of the hurricane we had and the reports of more than a few trees down. It wasn't as bad as the reports, but, several important mast trees were on the ground. It was cold, real cold since this was the first time out with temps in the 40's, but, probably next time 40's will seen just right.

So I snooped and pooped into the woods and just as I get near a calling squirrel, I notice I forgot my orange vest and had to go back and get it; by the time I got back which was probably 10 min the squirrel had shut up. I took a seat against a tree and in 10 min a squirrel climbed half way up a sapling; well, that was a mistake. I have no clue where it came from since the ground was washed clean by the high water during the hurricane.

Anyway, I visited a few usually hot spots and ended up with 5. I confirmed that a couple of spots had squirrels and will visit those places again.

No pic since I cleaned them in the woods.
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,502 Senior Member
    Squirrel Pot Pie

3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
    3 squirrels, boiled and boned
    2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup thinly sliced celery
    1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
    3 Tbsp flour
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp pepper
    ½ tsp dried thyme

Topping:
    2 cups buttermilk baking mix (like Bisquick or Jiffy)
    1 cup milk

Heat oven to 400°F. Combine all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with nonstick spray. Spoon filling mixture into baking pan and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine topping ingredients. Spoon batter evenly over filling. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

squirrel%20potpie.JPG
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,935 Senior Member
    That looks about right.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,714 Senior Member
    Good hunt Ned. I envy you being able to hunt them critturs. Its on my bucket list.

Hey jbp, that looks really yummy.........I will bring the beer!!!!!!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 403 Member
    I'm eating at JBP's house. Stat.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,334 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Good hunt Ned. I envy you being able to hunt them critturs. Its on my bucket list.

Alec, the Tennessee spring squirrel hunting season is open from May 12th. through June 10th. Guess what happens right in the middle of that time frame?
    :up::up::up:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,825 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Squirrel Pot Pie

3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
    3 squirrels, boiled and boned
    2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup thinly sliced celery
    1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
    3 Tbsp flour
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp pepper
    ½ tsp dried thyme

Topping:
    2 cups buttermilk baking mix (like Bisquick or Jiffy)
    1 cup milk

Heat oven to 400°F. Combine all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with nonstick spray. Spoon filling mixture into baking pan and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine topping ingredients. Spoon batter evenly over filling. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

squirrel%20potpie.JPG

Now JBP, that do look good. That's inspiring me to go find a place to go shoot a few tree rats. I loves em.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Alright, I'll tell you what.....

Alec, if you'll come back over this Memorial Day and go squirrel hunting, I'll for sure put my farming aside for 2-3 days and come on up like I'm supposed to have done long before now. And I'll bring my little .32cal flintlock squirrel rifle and let you use that so you can experience exactly how it was to squirrel hunt way back when! Only stipulation is.....has to be head shots! Nothing else :nono:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,750 Senior Member
    has to be head shots! Nothing else

yup

almost was going to arrow a black one today
    He was just down right annoying
    3 today, different woods many more trees down.

But the big cypress den tree that I have been hunting for 40 + years is still upright and still an active den tree.
    Take care of the den tree! The limiting factor in squirrel populations is the lack of den trees. Females won't use the leaf nests we commonly see in trees. Only males will use these for cover from predators and low temperatures on cold winter nights. You can increase the population significantly by making nesting boxes and hanging these in hardwood trees, maybe 3 or 4 per acre. I'm talking about Eastern Grey Squirrels.....the only squirrel species I've managed in past years.
    They put up nest boxes in the ordnance area on base when they tried to import fox squirrels from Camp Lejeune. In fact they transported the squirrels here in the boxes, I just called the Warden and he said the effort was successful. They are mostly black with white on the face. He could not say if the boxes are still in use by the squirrels.

The reason the ordance area was selected is that general hunting is not allowed in that area.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Squirrel Pop Pie, Man, I am going to try that, it looks good.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,714 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Alec, the Tennessee spring squirrel hunting season is open from May 12th. through June 10th. Guess what happens right in the middle of that time frame?
    :up::up::up:
    Jerry

Woohoo!!!!! Sounds like a plan!!!
    Alec, if you'll come back over this Memorial Day and go squirrel hunting, I'll for sure put my farming aside for 2-3 days and come on up like I'm supposed to have done long before now. And I'll bring my little .32cal flintlock squirrel rifle and let you use that so you can experience exactly how it was to squirrel hunt way back when! Only stipulation is.....has to be head shots! Nothing else

That sounds even better Rich!!!!

The only downside is that the way the export season has gone, I may be struggling to get there next year :tissue::bang:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Alec,

Get it worked out, please! Times aren't too good economically, but Women will still buy flowers and especially the "speciality" types that you grow! For the first time I started growing sunflowers and zenias (spelling?) and put them on my table at the Farmer's Market two weeks ago (first time) as a "calling card"! Don't know why I never thought of it before, but flowers attract "Wimmins", and "Wimmins" spend money readily on fresh vegetables.......as well as owning and controlling 100% of other good and valuable consideration :devil:! I think it's going to work fine!