Long time coming, but finally got 'er done.

Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth MemberPosts: 136 Member
After a lot of sacrifice, help from family and friends, and encouragement from everyone, I finally got my RN. And what's even better, I got a job at a nursing home that doubled my hourly wage and offers opportunity for overtime. It's not my dream job, but I'll work on getting experience and keep looking for a job in an ER somewhere.
Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.

Replies

• ericbericb Banned Posts: 393 Member
    After a lot of sacrifice, help from family and friends, and encouragement from everyone, I finally got my RN. And what's even better, I got a job at a nursing home that doubled my hourly wage and offers opportunity for overtime. It's not my dream job, but I'll work on getting experience and keep looking for a job in an ER somewhere.

Congrats, it is a great career. If you are single, check out some of the "Traveler" agencies. Usually the assignments are 6 months and you can see a lot of country.
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,409 Senior Member
    Congratulations! Good Job...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,231 Senior Member
    Seth

Did that three years ago. Now I'm an oncology nurse. It's a tough job, but the bennys are good and there's always work. Congrats

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,603 Senior Member
    Congratulations on your achievement. I see more guns in your future.......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,106 Senior Member
    Rockin' good job, my man! You did the work, so you deserve the strokes. As was said, you'll always have a job, as long as the wildfires don't burn down every bldg in eastern AZ! Glad the worst is behind you. And remember, only two more years of schooling for "nurse practitioner"!! Yeah, right. I know, I know.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 136 Member
    [QUOTE= And remember, only two more years of schooling for "nurse practitioner"!! Yeah, right. I know, I know.[/QUOTE]

It took me long enough to do it that I should have a Bachelors, but it was only an Associates. I am planning on getting my BSN as soon as I'm settled in at the new job, hopefully by the start of next year. And I understand that the new rules state that the NP will require a Doctorate.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,500 Senior Member
    This is awesome!! Congrats on achieving your goal and a new career.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    Thanks for the nice words. I hope to retire some debt and then work on a few rewards for my wife and I for scrimping for so long. I have a rather large brood, so traveling may be out of the question, but I might relocate for the right situation.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    Congratulations! I have a dear friend that quit his job and went back to school full time to be a RN. He has never been happier, I hope that it works out as well and fulfilling for you as well.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,171 Senior Member
    Congrats and well done. Seem to recall you were in the Tempe/Chandler area at one point. Lots of good hospitals in the area as I am sure you are aware. I worked at Chandler regional and what used to be Desert Sam, both were good places to work when I was there.
    While the nursing home is a decent first job, my advise would be to get out as quickly as possible. New nurses IMHO need the exposure of a trauma center to fully develope the skill sets required to be truely good at the job.

Sako
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,330 Senior Member
    Many congrats, Seth! Over the last year I've come to realize that good nurses make all the difference when it comes to medical care.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 971 Senior Member
    Congratulations!!

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,144 Senior Member
    Congratulations! My father took the long way through medical school, he became a nurse when it was NOT usual to see male nurses and then kept going to become a nurse anesthetist BEFORE heading to medical school and ultimately became an anesthesiologist. He always said the most rewarding part of his career was when he started out in nursing.

Funny thing is that my wife is strongly considering going back to school full time to become a nurse too!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,515 Senior Member
    Great job, over the years I have become grateful that the civilian comunity is getting into male nurses; we have had Corpsmen for an eternity doing the same job and sometimes the job of doctors and now this.
    Congrats.
    This message has been deleted
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,348 Senior Member
    Congratulations on such an accomplishment! I have several friends in the US Army Nursing Program/Nurse Corps and it definitely does not look like easy schooling or an easy job. Well done!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Hey, congratulations, that is great. Proud of you man :beer:
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Way to go!! :beer:
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
    sakodude wrote: »
    Congrats and well done. Seem to recall you were in the Tempe/Chandler area at one point. Lots of good hospitals in the area as I am sure you are aware. I worked at Chandler regional and what used to be Desert Sam, both were good places to work when I was there.
    While the nursing home is a decent first job, my advise would be to get out as quickly as possible. New nurses IMHO need the exposure of a trauma center to fully develope the skill sets required to be truely good at the job.

Sako

Yeah, we used to live in Chandler, but moved here for nursing school. We had 3 kids at Chandler Regional and I did several clinicals there. It really is a good hospital. I still have a house there, but jobs for new grads are hard to come by in the Valley of the Sun, or even not new grads. But I'll keep looking for something in acute care, hopefully ER or ICU. What, in your experience, is the best way to get into the Trauma/ER units?
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,171 Senior Member
    Yeah, we used to live in Chandler, but moved here for nursing school. We had 3 kids at Chandler Regional and I did several clinicals there. It really is a good hospital. I still have a house there, but jobs for new grads are hard to come by in the Valley of the Sun, or even not new grads. But I'll keep looking for something in acute care, hopefully ER or ICU. What, in your experience, is the best way to get into the Trauma/ER units?

Get your certifications. BLS, is required most every where but if you can, look into NRP,PALS, and ACLS. even further look into the CCRN exam. These and some interest should get you in the door. Even if you start in a level 2 or 3 ER it gets you the critical thinking skills and forces you to think and act quickly. Really depends on where you want to go as an RN, but you may need to look at relocating for the right opportunity. Larger metropolitan centers have larger ER's and generally greater opportunity.
    Good luck and again congrats.

Sako
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,224 Senior Member
    Congrats to you :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,504 Senior Member
    Congrats. That is a great deal that you are doing for your family.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    ericb wrote: »
    Congrats, it is a great career. If you are single, check out some of the "Traveler" agencies. Usually the assignments are 6 months and you can see a lot of country.

+1 My wife worked as a traveller for several years and really got a lot out of the experience. Now she works in the OR at a major hospital in the area and is doing extremely well. One word of advice that she often gives new RNs is to stand up for yourself with the Docs (especially surgeons) and don't let yourself become a doormat. There are several surgeons that she was certain would hate her because she didn't take any of the crap and called them on their prima donna behavior but now they ask to work with her exclusively.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,649 Senior Member
    Good for you fellow. I know it takes a certain kind of temperament to be a nurse. Good luck with your new career!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 403 Member
    Congratulations!!!
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,509 Senior Member
    Congrats on the new opportunities before you and in a field where you will always be needed. :beer:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    I'd keep up the education. Getting more advanced degrees is a good thing. Doing it young is better since it never gets easier. But we can't change history.

I used to work with another project manager who's wife was working on her RN masters. She worked weekends in the ICU, 3 twelves. She was pulling more $$$ on the weekend than we were, working all week.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman