Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Fox News gone from DishTV

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,813 Senior Member
Both blame each other for all of Fox's channels being removed.

I don't know who is to blame here, but Dish has a history of this. They removed all of the Turner Channels for a couple of weeks or more over contract negotiations, just last month. I intend to see how it plays out for a day or so, before possibly withholding payment to Dish.

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,327 Senior Member
    It seems like every other week we get a series of radio commercials around here calling for action of some kind regarding the current station that Dish Network is about to drop.

From this I gather that Dish either doesn't want to be in the business of providing satellite TV or is really, REALLY bad at it. The missus has had us on DirecTV for over ten years. If they've dropped anything at all, it wasn't anything we miss.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    My understanding of it is that Dish has a smaller channel lineup than some of their competitors and the way they keep folks' business as a result is to offer a very good price on their packages vs. the competition. In business terms, that means low-balling the hell out of your vendors (read: channel providers) to keep your prices low. I have seen this back when I had DirecTV with some channels, but only once in a great, great while. It sounds like Dish REALLY needs to strike below the belt and hope that the holdout gets the vendor to supplicate to their contact terms to stay in business. Inevitably, that's going to lead to ugly holdouts from both sides.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I had DirectTV for several years and only switched because DirectTV was having major problems with their Genie 'whole house' DVR, and we wanted to upgrade to that. I hesitated, because we had no problems with the service, but didn't expect to lose my favorite programming for weeks at a time. The Dish system was rated very high at the time, and it does work well, but after sampling the programming for a year, it is noticeably worse than the DirectTV line-up that we left..

Losing Fox News means watching nothing but state controlled news, in my opinion. Fox is not perfect, but it does offer an alternative to DNC talking points, spouted verbatim (sometimes) on every other channel.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Both blame each other for all of Fox's channels being removed.

I don't know who is to blame here, but Dish has a history of this. They removed all of the Turner Channels for a couple of weeks or more over contract negotiations, just last month. I intend to see how it plays out for a day or so, before possibly withholding payment to Dish.

You can bet they wouldn't remove one of the LIBTARD Networks.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Choosing between Dish and Direct is like a choice of getting beaten to death with a chain or a baseball bat. Fox will be back when enough customers scream and shout, and/or choose another satellite signal provider. I'm probably going to threaten to slow-walk my payment until Fox returns. Money talks!
    Jerry
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Dropped Dish a few years ago due to this sort of crap. You can tell me how much it costs but not what I can watch!!!! :nono: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »

I'm betting they would it's all about money.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,118 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »

You would be wrong....CNN/Turner was gone for the same reasons a couple of months ago....Everything is NOT a progresso/liberal plot....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Is BET still on?
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Posts: 820 Senior Member
    Called Direct today to see about switching. But they absolutely refused to tell me whether or they would give us the local channels.. Which tells me they don't have our locals, so we'll stick with Dish and hope this Fox thing gets straightened up after a bit.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Yeah, they withhold a lot of info, and lie about quite a few things as well, because once they get you locked in, they are gonna keep getting paid regardless. You have to agree to a contract with lots of weasel words - kind of like having a surgical procedure done - you may not like what you think all the legal gibberish means, but you either agree to it or go home.
    Yeah first he wanted my address telephone and credit card.. Told him to hold up I had some things I wanted to know first... Then the big dance started...
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Not just Direct and Dish ... Time Warner and Comcast play those games also. It's a dance the providers do with the networks over contracts and the consumer gets screwed then and again when the provider passes the increase on in the billings. And local channels ... I still don't understand when they tried to charge for local over the air channels, they might as well charge for the air we breath.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Without the satellite, we wouldn't get any TV.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    Ranch13 wrote: »
    Without the satellite, we wouldn't get any TV.

Same here. Could maybe get a few local channels, but even then most of what might come in would be mexican channels.

I had service with Dish since the late 90's. When my now ex moved in with me, I had it turned off and she started a new service and we got new equipment and had it run to our bedroom, which I didn't have before. Several years later and after she moved out, I decided to call and see what my options were to upgrade my equipment since it was not HD, no DVR and was not working very well any more. They said I'd have to buy all new equipment. Told them I'd be willing to do a new 2 year agreement, but I want the same deal as a new customer. Nope. So I told them to cancel my account and I'd call back later and start a new one. They said I'd have to wait 90 days after cancelling to start a new service. Fine. I can go 3 months without TV. When I called back, they said it hadn't been 90 days, I would have to call back the next day and it would be 90 days. My thinking, I'm offering to give you my money for the next two years right now, and you're telling me to call back tomorrow?!!!! Nope.

It was then that I saw that I could "bundle" my internet with Direct TV, get better programming and not spend much more than I woud have at Dish. And I got the Genie, whole home DVR and upgraded to HD programming, which is all I wanted in the first place. Been fine since then, although I'm still spending money on this thing and very rarely watch it. I'd be surprised if I watched 10 hours of TV a week all combined.... Thinking I'll do away with it when the 2 year agreement is up this summer.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    I get my Pay TV and Hi Speed Internet from Cox cable. Yeah, I might pay a little more, but the customer service has been excellent, and while nonsense like this Fox/Dish thing can happen, it is rare and far between.