...tag soup...

wildgenewildgene Senior MemberPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
...or these pics pretty much define my second season cow/ calf tag. Opening morning saw some elk coming down a draw, got ahead of 'em & set up, they came out walking 50yds. from me, all 4 of 'em had spikes...

...private land...

elkte_zps175ff00f.jpg

...4 cows on private...

te14elk_zpsf677db27.jpg

...more elk on private...

jbar9elk1-1_zpsba502e80.jpg

jbar9elk2_zps06a1da0b.jpg

cartercrossingelk_zps7710c6e0.jpg

...not elk...

jbar9ram_zpsd2060277.jpg

...yesterday was the last day, saw elk @ daylight in a snowstorm, circled up & around 'em, came out & had a perfect standing broadside shot @ just over 100yds., more spikes... :oops: :cry: :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    Interesting pics
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Awesome pics, Nothing like the scrub mesquite and cactus I stare at while at the ranch.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,409 Senior Member
    That sucks, Gene, but it seems to be the story of some season: tons of quarry, none of it legal. Regarless, that's some of the prettiest country around. You have quiate a backyard to play in!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,026 Senior Member
    I had a similar experience for the late cow season Gene. I got a 5x5 in late october. Went to the same area for cows over a weekend...all we saw were bulls. And some awfully nice ones! No cow this year. The 5x5 turned out to be tender & tasty though. Can't complain.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...well, hunting season wasn't a total bust...

2014mulebuck_zpsfa09e456.jpg

14cartercow_zpsf0f1dad1.jpg

...was a very large cow...

skinnincartercow_zpsb42e3749.jpg
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,099 Senior Member
    Pretty much describes my 2012 Colorado trip. My dad picked up a GPS with a function that designates private & public land. Driving along and looking at the screen; "We're on public land now!" - absolutely NOTHING to be seen. "We're going through private land now" - HORDES of deer, many of them freakin' monster 3x3's and 4x4's.

Most of these deer were a decent way from the road going about their deer business, but the truly frustrating one was a 220 pound plus 4x4 that was sitting regally - much like the Sphinx of Egypt - in the yard of a mobile home with his harem of about 15 does at a mere 160 yards. Bastard knew the score too. Stared at me smugly as if to say "I just got done diddling half these does, and I'm going to diddle the other half as soon as you leave.":bang:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Congratulations! Look like a great hunt in beautiful country.