Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun value books

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,931 Senior Member
I'm going to sell a few of my rifles, so what are the best value books, Blue Book by Fjestad , Standard Catalog of Firearms by Shideler, or ??
I fully realize that there only an approximation, but its a place to start.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    Another good place to look is on Gunbroker or other auction sites. That gives you a pretty good idea of what a certain rifle is going for.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Value books are sometimes in the ballpark, sometimes out in the parking lot. The only price that matters is the market price. BigA/1 is right - check the auction sites - but be patient. Most of the firearms are so overpriced they attract no bids, despite being listed and relisted for months. Wait until models like your are actually sold, and wait for more than one. In my experience, Gun Auctions usually has slightly lower prices than Gunbroker, and GunsAmerica is generally higher yet, although a killer deal is made every now and then on all of them. If there's a gun show in your area, go, and bring your rifles. Stick a for sale sign on a dowel put it down the bore so everybody knows its available. Walk them through the crowd and past the tables, you stand a good chance of selling it, or trading for something else you might want.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,354 Senior Member
    you can look at the books, but i would look at the gun auction/selling sites.

some of them have "past" auctions/sales so you can get a real idea on what people are willing to pay/bid on them.

good luck.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Been looking at Gun Broker for a couple of months, also Cabelas ( high priced) .

JAY
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    Lets see what you want to get rid of!
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    MODS, no prices, if this is not allowed delete it

1) FN mag Mauser 26" McGowen bbl. M-70 3pos. safety, Jaeger trigger, 2 stocks syn. & 3x walnut, .30-338 mag brass & dies.
    2) Win. Super X mod 1 , 12ga. new never fired , might have the box.
    3) Win. M-70 push feed , 26" Shilen CM # 5 contour , .280 AI, brass & dies.
    4) M-98 small ring Mauser, 26" Shilen CM #5, 7X57 AI , Gentry M-70 safety, Timney trig., Extensive action work, brass & dies.
    5) Win. M-52D International match, free rifle stock, all accessories in custom case. 20X Unrtl 2" target scope
    6) Anschutz M-1413 Match, Irons & 20X Weaver 1/8 min. dot , all accessories in custom case.

Many more still in storage.
    No, I will not sell my .270

JAY
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    5) Win. M-52D International match, free rifle stock, all accessories in custom case. 20X Unrtl 2" target scope

Do some good checking on that one "including" the scope.
    It may be worth separating the two
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    If you know how to work it, Gunbroker will let you break down actual SALES of a particular model within the last week, month, six months, so you can get a good feel for what they are really going for.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug