Hunting ammo question

farm boyfarm boy Senior MemberPosts: 987 Senior Member
My LR-308 loves American Eagle 168gr HPBT M1A ammo. Will this bullet expand? I dont have time to do full load development for the 168gr SST's before rifle season opens.
I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
Dad 5-31-13

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Using it on deer it will expand and kill deer just fine. Real close shot it might fragment a bit but it will still kill deer.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I have killed deer, pig, and other stuff with the 168gr SMK. While it will work, it is not the best terminal performer I've ever seen at .308 velocities.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 987 Senior Member
    Thanks guys.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    hit in the lungs, go collect meat.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    hit in the lungs, go collect meat.

Yeah I agree with MHS, hit the lungs, and if you hit the lungs lower with a more frangible bullet, chances are it's going to take part of the heart out too. Like was said, go collect meat. Besides, you might want to hit lower because if that bullet comes apart high it may take the tenderloin apart too. However if you hit it high and pretty far forward it might clip the spine and put it down Bang Flop-DRT however you like it with not too much meat damage.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.