Home Main Category General Firearms

Salvaged Guns

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,645 Senior Member
Last fall while visiting the wifes family, daughter and I went exploring /snooping in a abandoned house on the property. Right inside the back door we found 3 guns. A Marlin 1894 .44mag, Winchester 94 .30wcf, and a Springfield 67E 12 ga.
All the guns had light surface rust which I remove and actions and barrels look ok. The Winchester only needs a buttplate, the shotgun is fine and the Marlin needs a replacement butt stock and to have the k-mart special scope taken off. Hopefully I can find a drop in replacement stock for the Marlin, seems everyone has them on back order right now.
2e64d57d89c9902daa24fede27139db5.jpg13c29e53ecb11d97b2a4406a3cd8c61a.jpg429789ef1141b2fae317e10c62f88e70.jpg
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    You do realize that the stock on that Marlin is upside down....Right? Nice find though. Unless there are some cracks or other problems I don't see anything that some sandpaper, steel wool and some tung oil wouldn't fix....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Last fall while visiting the wifes family, daughter and I went exploring /snooping in a abandoned house on the property. Right inside the back door we found 3 guns. A Marlin 1894 .44mag, Winchester 94 .30wcf, and a Springfield 67E 12 ga.

That is a dam terrorist hoard over here......blood and sand, very nice.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,645 Senior Member
    I just realized the stock is upside down on the Marlin.
    We are positive the guns were part of my late fatherinlaws collection. Some one had stashed them before the family did round robin picks of the collection. The broken stock leadsme to believe I know who it was. With us they will remain a family collection.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    You do realize that the stock on that Marlin is upside down....Right? Nice find though. Unless there are some cracks or other problems I don't see anything that some sandpaper, steel wool and some tung oil wouldn't fix....

Caught it as I took the picture. That is how it was found. We put them in the daughter trunk and she brought them down justthe other day for her x-mas visit.

The inside of the stock it totally broken
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Very nice save.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    The butt stock on the Marlin is correct. The rest of the rifle is upside down.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    The Marlin stock is on Gangsta style!!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Some TLC and a good home is all they need now.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    The butt stock on the Marlin is correct. The rest of the rifle is upside down.

Ha ha, nice! And nice find!
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Marlin butt plates are available but you will need to shape it to size as none are standard. I bought mine from Brownells and shaped it using my bench grinder and sand paper.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Marlin butt plates are available but you will need to shape it to size as none are standard. I bought mine from Brownells and shaped it using my bench grinder and sand paper.

Yea, I was hoping to find a drop in stock for the Marlin.
    The Winchester just needs a buttplate, am hoping that is a screw on part. Hard to tell seeing the gun was build in 1940 when things were hand made and not just stick parts together.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,288 Senior Member
    First off, GREAT scavenger hunt! The Winchester and Marlin look in good shape, as does the shotgun.

Now to brass tacks; Trace the buttstock of the Winchester on a piece of paper and send that to me. It's very likely I have a period correct one that will either be a near perfect fit, or can be sanded down to fit. I have 5 different sizes of Winchester buttplates, so one should be real close.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    First off, GREAT scavenger hunt! The Winchester and Marlin look in good shape, as does the shotgun.

Now to brass tacks; Trace the buttstock of the Winchester on a piece of paper and send that to me. It's very likely I have a period correct one that will either be a near perfect fit, or can be sanded down to fit. I have 5 different sizes of Winchester buttplates, so one should be real close.

It has been said many times, This Place Rocks!

Will send you a pattern after we get back from my folks. And many Thanks to all for the links to available stocks
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    Nice save!! Great guns. Can't beat this place.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,004 Senior Member
    Dude, that is an awesome find. Make sure those guns are given the home they deserve.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    Quite a find. Both the Winchester and the Marlin are worthy guns, maybe the shotgun, but I don't know about them. Any stock will have to be fitted, but not by much.

The older 94 Winchesters had steel buttplates on them. Worth replacing with originals.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Dude, that is an awesome find. Make sure those guns are given the home they deserve.

They will be. As far as I am concerned the Winchester is a family heirloom from when the wifes Father was young. It will become part of a trio of old 94s. No idea of where the other two came from, but they will be cleaned, put back as close to original as I am able and will be taken care of, shot little, and will stay in the family.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Too bad whomever put them aside didn't think to protect them in a silicone impregnated gun case or rifle/shotgun socks, but non-gun folks never do it seems...............................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bucklancasterbucklancaster New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Too bad whomever put them aside didn't think to protect them in a silicone impregnated gun case or rifle/shotgun socks, but non-gun folks never do it seems...............................

No pitting-no PROBLEM!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Ron, the next time you go on a road trip I'm gonna follow you, I want in on your hidden stash of guns.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    Nice guns! I like both lever actions.

Maybe you can find a replacement stock for the Marlin in ebay.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

This!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Nice find on the guns, (again) and I'm fairly sure you can get a stock for the Marlin from Boyds. If they don't list it on their website they still might make it. I had them make one for one of my Marlins and even though they said a month or two, I had it in about a week. All for about 65.00. They are great people.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Nice find on the guns, (again) and I'm fairly sure you can get a stock for the Marlin from Boyds. If they don't list it on their website they still might make it. I had them make one for one of my Marlins and even though they said a month or two, I had it in about a week. All for about 65.00. They are great people.

Thanks for the idea

I have looked and others have suggested places, most are out of stock, too expensive for my liking or unfinished. I had hoped to find a factory drop in stock, but I guess it isnt all that easy.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,281 Senior Member
    Its probably going to be unfinished unless you find a donor carbine that someone melted the barrels off of.

Tung oil, some real fine wet dry sandpaper, and time. It will be even more yours after that.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.