Home Main Category Personal Defense

Do stupid stuff- - - -pay stupid consequences!

2»

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Thanks, bis! Great post! And spot on.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    It is NOT taking the law into ones own hands !

It is " preserving ones life by the means God or Providence has provided, a sidearm."
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Sadly, there are many folks that have made it a "Race Issue" and their main objective is that under no circumstances are these "Children" to be shot by anyone, Police, Law Abiding folks, they believe there is no justification for personal defense.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    samzhere wrote: »
    I'm telling you, the result of this will eventually be the cops just "forgetting" to show up or just sitting and watching, and letting drunk idiotic thugs shoot innocent people. And I can hardly blame them. We'll eventually be reduced to the old days, taking the law into our own hands.

And as I thought would happen, here's a story about NYPD cops ignoring calls and minor crimes:

http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/wary-cops-letting-minor-offenses-slide/
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,912 Senior Member
    And as I thought would happen, here's a story about NYPD cops ignoring calls and minor crimes:

Anarchy starts small. Commie scum are doing it, now the cops are too.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!

That is nothing new or news, do you know how many "unfounded" radio calls are answered every day? The Police are summoned, rocks and bottles are thrown, sometimes shots are fired, but you do not always read about it.

Lots of these calls are answered by unassigned investigative details or special units not responding to an assignment or call, an SP designation.... check & advise..... ignoring chronic calls, shots fired or cries for help in areas well known for fake calls is nothing new.

There is no "ignoring" minor crimes, just comparatively really poor response times, motor vehicle accident property only no traffic interrupted gets poor response time compared to life issues or crimes against people.

FYI: in NYC on any day there are enough fake calls to 911 to tie up 3 divisions so response times to such areas known for chronic fake calls is poor.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    That is nothing new or news, do you know how many "unfounded" radio calls are answered every day? The Police are summoned, rocks and bottles are thrown, sometimes shots are fired, but you do not always read about it.

Lots of these calls are answered by unassigned investigative details or special units not responding to an assignment or call, an SP designation.... check & advise..... ignoring chronic calls, shots fired or cries for help in areas well known for fake calls is nothing new.

There is no "ignoring" minor crimes, just comparatively really poor response times, motor vehicle accident property only no traffic interrupted gets poor response time compared to life issues or crimes against people.

FYI: in NYC on any day there are enough fake calls to 911 to tie up 3 divisions so response times to such areas known for chronic fake calls is poor.

If this is true, (I don't have any knowledge on this, so I take no position) then I would have to say, while I 'get it'....this really sucks. They might be few and far between, but there are folks in those areas who still deserve the services that responders provide. Doing this is about as close as you can come to having a 'law-free' zone without officially declaring it such and is WAY too close to just giving up. Playing percentages with peoples lives ("X% of the time it's just a crank call, so let's sandbag") is how governmental bureaucracies all to often operate. People are outraged if a private entity does something similar, why should be expected to accept this from our government?

Now, I'm not sure I have the answer, but there's got to be a better way to do business...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    If this is true, (I don't have any knowledge on this, so I take no position) then I would have to say, while I 'get it'....this really sucks. They might be few and far between, but there are folks in those areas who still deserve the services that responders provide. Doing this is about as close as you can come to having a 'law-free' zone without officially declaring it such and is WAY too close to just giving up. Playing percentages with peoples lives ("X% of the time it's just a crank call, so let's sandbag") is how governmental bureaucracies all to often operate. People are outraged if a private entity does something similar, why should be expected to accept this from our government?

Now, I'm not sure I have the answer, but there's got to be a better way to do business...

It would be nice for police and politicians alike, if the people who make the rules would always be geniuses, and every possible eventuality would be defined and have a proper response. Police would always enforce the letter of the law, period...Utopia of a sort.

It would also be a police state - a direct contradiction to the concepts of any democratic form of government. Originally, laws were made to remedy those situations where a person refused to act with civility towards his neighbor. Laws were just a backup plan, made with the consent of the people who were to be governed by them. Honestly, that is the only way a free 'state' can survive. Now, in this country, laws are made by career politicians who want the power they can wield over other people by choosing whether to enforce, or not enforce existing laws against any particular individual. At one time, all-encompassing laws were few and far between, with more specific laws being left to communities to expand upon, as needed in that particular locale.

We are seeing these civil breakdowns more frequently, now, because we have a government that is too centralized, with too many career law makers, that make too many laws, for too many people. A centralized government can only rule the 'outlying' communities by force, in the end, because they are clueless about what it takes to have peace in any particular neighborhood.

Neighborhoods that police get run out of have basically seceded from the rest of the city and set up their own ruling authorities. Just ask the people who live there, if you don't believe it. They all have a hierarchy that the residents understand. If they don't like it, and can find a way out of it, they leave - just like the pioneers did, two hundred years ago. The people who stay view the police as invaders, not much different from a weak country that is invaded by a stronger one.

So, if you believe any of the above, the logical solution is to either do what Abraham Lincoln did when the southern states seceded, or leave them alone and let them self-destruct, or prosper if they can figure out how to do that. Basically, you either declare war on the insurrectionists, or leave them alone and hope they discover the error of their ways and come crawling back. Politicians, being what they are, will try to have it both ways and extract profit from the lack of results. In the end, you get civil war - a small one if cooler heads eventually prevail, or a large one if the radicals get a chance to exploit it.

Lacking some great statesmen on both sides, I don't see anything else happening, and there are no great statesmen on the horizon.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    That is nothing new or news, do you know how many "unfounded" radio calls are answered every day?

Oh, absolutely correct. I pity law abiding and decent folks who live in such rancid areas -- thousands of poor but good folks who're stuck amid the chaos, and cannot even count on the police to help them.

Where we live, thankfully, that's exactly the opposite. Emergency calls (genuine 911 emergencies, either medical or crime in progress) in our neighborhood receive 3 minute police or EMT response! That's the average time and it's my experience to be true. I had 2 medical emergencies and my neighbors and I had 2 burglary/crime report calls and the cops and EMTs were there almost before you put the phone down. Great timings and terrific response!

Last fall when I had a police complaint to file (repeated loud neighbor stuff) but a non emergency, it took the officer about 20 min to respond. I'd phoned the non-911 line of course, made it clear this was not an emergency, just a civil complaint following my 3-4 attempts to get the neighbor to cool it previously. Cop appeared, very young guy but very professional (generally, Houston PDs are excellent) and he took my report, went to the neighbor, asked them to cool it down, no citations but I had the report recorded so that it was on the record that the cops had been called for future legal reference. Neighbor has since been evicted and is causing headaches elsewhere, thankfully.

But overall, our police, fire, and EMT response times are excellent in our neighborhood. It's full of young but very well educated professionals (many of them attorneys) who vote, who have a strong civic voice, and so the squeaky wheels get greased. I do however feel sad for the same sort of peaceful folks who are stuck in bad neighborhoods. They are caught.