Home Main Category General Firearms

Front Sight Help Needed

Hondo341Hondo341 MemberPosts: 448 Member
I have a 4" Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. The front sight needs to be replaced with a taller one. It is one with the flat base that is pinned in. Anyone know where I can find one? It would be great if I could find a Patridge sight. Someone who makes sights would be great. An extensive internet search has turned up only the sight from Bowen.
"People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    No clue here, sorry.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,420 Senior Member
    If Bowen classic has em' you got it made! You could find a load that prints a little closer to point of aim.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Bowen's good stuff. Did you try Midway, Numrich, Ruger?
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    If the gun is shooting too high, which would require a replacement, you might call Ruger. They're very helpful. You might also try other ammo. A slower bullet will cause a lower point of impact.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    If the gun is shooting too high, which would require a replacement, you might call Ruger. They're very helpful. You might also try other ammo. A slower bullet will cause a lower point of impact.

wouldn't a slower bullet shoot a little higher at closer range due to slower exit from muzzle? or have I hit the eggnog too hard..I did drink about 5 cups of coffee down at the restaurant this morning....a bunch of guys meet down there every morning to see how shot who or do we need get flowers for one of us....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Heavier, slower bullets usually print higher due to longer dwell time in the barrel and reaction to muzzle jump.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Heavier, slower bullets usually print higher due to longer dwell time in the barrel and reaction to muzzle jump.
    Jerry
    Better watch out Jerry, Ranch13 will say you're crazy for saying that :silly:
    Then get mad if you refuse to prove it to him.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    Yes, you're right. A faster bullet will hit lower.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Better watch out Jerry, Ranch13 will say you're crazy for saying that :silly:
    Then get mad if you refuse to prove it to him.

DILLIGAF?
    :rotflmao:
    Jerry
    DILLIGAF?
    :rotflmao:
    Jerry
    No sir, you do not.

A little while spent with a file and some flat stock, and it's possible to fabricate a sight in just about any configuration and/or height desired. Just remember to "measure twice/cut once!"
    Jerry
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Jerry
    That's what I was thinking, Jerry...