How many cartridges?

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,536 Senior Member
Do you take into the woods when you are hunting big game. For example. I had to scrounge around in my pickup one time to find a couple mismatched reloads so I wouldnt be sitting in the woods with a empty rifle. (yes I was single) Now I take 10 and spread them through what I will likely be wearing. PA rifle season can be real cold to prett warm in the same week, and I dont like to try to drive in Carhartt bibs so I have the bibs, a set of camo rain pants, a camo gore tex jacket that I put a blaze vest over, and a quilted blaze/camo reversable that I can just toss on for a drive or a fast "get out after work" hunt.

So my answer is 2-4, and I normally only put 3 in the rifle though 2 has been the loadout pretty often.

I saw this on a hunting board and the answers were between 3 and 40 with a lot of 1 magazine full and 2 refills for the magazine. I wondered what a more shooter oriented group would come up with.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,866 Senior Member
    Depends on the firearm.

Normally 2 clips full for my Garand.
    One mag in my AR (20 in 223, 10 in 6.5G, and 7 in the 'wulf) and K-31
    I have a "butt band" on all my bolt guns, each holds 8-9 rounds, I normally have it full at the start of the season, and if I shoot, I just drop the empty back into an empty loop. Otherwise, the 8-9 rounds are the MOST I carry. Normally only put 2-3 in the bolt gun when hunting.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    One loading plus 20 because the belt pouch holds 20.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Depends on the firearm

Same here. For the AR 10, I usually have the mag that's in it, and a spare. Not because I need 40 rounds, but if I lose the mag I am out of the hunt.

Usually a spare mag for whatever gun I am carrying. If it's a single shot or non-magazine bolt gun, then usually just 5 spare rounds.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    Five for my rifles. Twelve for my revolver. The 44 is my OS piece as I hunt far from the road and cabins. There are a lot of cougar in the woods I hunt and the terrain is steep. The handgun can be great signal devise if I get hurt.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    For deer and such 3-5 in the gun and 5 in the holder on my vest. I load out my vest with everything I need for the hunt so I can just grab the gun and vest and I'm ready to go.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    Allen Butt stock ammo holders hold 9 rounds. I load my rifle with 4 out of that and so I have 5 spare rounds after that. With the Allen, I know how many I have in the gun at a glance so this is sort of a safety feature also.

If I'm carrying my side arm, usually my 1911, I have one magazine in the gun and I carry one fully loaded mag. in my pocket.

If I'm carrying my 586 S&W Revolver, of course I do have the cylinder fully loaded and I also have a fuly loaded speed loader along, so if mister bad bore shows up en mass I have plenty of deterrent.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,548 Senior Member
    Twenty.

I used to take 4 or 5 until JerrybobCo introduced me to antelope. Now I take 20.

At least 20.

Because, sometimes stuff happens.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Twenty.

I used to take 4 or 5 until JerrybobCo introduced me to antelope. Now I take 20.

At least 20.

Because, sometimes stuff happens.

Mike

I agree.
    For my 222 I load 6 into the mag and carry 2 reloads.
    7MM08 I carry 2 three shot mags and about 10 extra cartridges.

Most of the areas I hunt don't have cell coverage so I leave the phone behind and carry enough extra ammo so I can have at least enough to give 3 distress signals of 3 shots...........cos crap happens.

.......................Oh, and cos one of my hunting buddies ( who shall remain nameless) normally uses the same calibre and has a habit of forgetting his ammo...........:roll: :tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,631 Senior Member
    Depends on the gun. How I'm hunting. What I'm hunting.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,355 Senior Member
    I over-carry ammo with no real good reason, sometimes as much as 30 rounds taken and 10 or so carried on me. Why 10? I have no good answer. Last few big game critters I killed were single-tag-in-pocket, 1-shot affairs.

When I'm flying into some place to hunt out of state, I know that part of my logic is that if I need to re-check my zero, adjust, and re-check again in the field, I might need more than a few rounds to do it. The other part of it is those "unforeseen adventures." For instance, if I kill my deer/elk/antelope and want to do some coyote or other varmint hunting, extra ammo is a must.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,230 Senior Member
    No less than 10. True story...

My brother won the elk lottery for Michigan and drew a bull tag. This was literally a once in a lifetime hunt. Anyway, we come up on a nice 6x6 in a fairly heavily wooded area. I was with him and got to watch the shots. Bang! "TREE!" Bang! "TREE" Bang! "HIT" (kind of far back-- got the liver but I didn't know that then). Bang! The 4th shot hit him in the neck and dropped him.

It was a good mile and a half back to the truck and that was all the ammo he had with him. That first shot to the liver would have killed him, but still. It was too close for comfort!
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

:that:
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Yep
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    All my deer rifles have the rear stock neoprene or similar shell holders attached to the stock, so what ever the gun holds and what ever is left on the stock goes to the woods with me.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Depends on the firearm.

My answer would be the same as Paul's, usually 3 or 4 rounds, or reloads for my muzzle loader. The exception would be any lever action with a tubular magazine.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Stock cartridge holder holds 10... So I bring 10 with me... if I shoot then I'll carry 9... etc..
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    No less than 10 extra with me and a loaded gun. Most often I have 20. Every trip I bring at least 20 per gun and I normally take four guns on a trip; one primary iron sights, one primary scoped, one backup, one loaner. I always have my G20 with me loaded with 15 rounds and although I suppose I should carry a second magazine for the g20, I do not.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    I load four in the magazine on my Model 70 .30-06 and jack one into the chamber when I get settled into my blind. But, I usually carry my G20 plus a spare mag, too. If I'm thinking hogs, I may carry more rifle ammo. I've only needed one round for whitetails, the last few years, because the opportunities were good and I was careful in shot selection. This year, I didn't go, at all.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    I keep my rifles in a soft case in the truck during deer season. Each case has a pouch that holds 12 rounds. W hen going into the woods I load the riflre of the day with 4 rounds and the rest in the pouch goes in my pocket. Never had a problem with no ammo.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,526 Senior Member
    What ever the mag holds plus 10, since most of the time I hunt alone, so if I bust a leg or something, 3 volley's of 3 each should get some attention , probably shoot after dark.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,942 Senior Member
    No less than 10.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11