Home Main Category Personal Defense

Major Crimes

Dr. dbDr. db Senior MemberPosts: 1,541 Senior Member
Another TV show trying to convince me that armed citizens are more dangerous than helpful.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,137 Senior Member
    Yep....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    The show of course is a retake on the show "The Closer" w. Kyra Sedgwick, which was fun to watch because of her performances.

Naturally the producers assumed that they could still do the show, and so they remade it as Major Crimes. But it was way too formulaic and repetitive -- after about 4-5 episodes you had seen all they had to offer. I'm guessing that some bigwig producer then decided the problem was that they had all older actors and so to entice a younger audience, they introduced this kid who was about as annoying as Ensign Crusher. So the show quickly devolved into a soap and I clicked it off.

Did the same for "Covert Affairs" --- first couple seasons they had some very entertaining eps w. plenty of varied locales and good writing, plus the yummy Piper Perabo. Then, slowly but surely, they soaped it up with continuing plots about the blind Augie and their romance. Zzzzz...

But, as I don't watch Major Crimes any more, can you be more specific? What was the latest ep that did the antigun thing?

Of course, having a private citizen use a firearm correctly and in a "good" way is nonexistent on TV. I remember seasons ago the owners of a gunstore helped Jack in 24, and there are other very rare instances. But mostly no. If a show did portray that, they'd have to turn in their liberal membership cards.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Sam: it was the recent "Santa Claus" episode. A yokel from North Dakota, gets himself killed and muddies the waters on a bank robbery. The implication is he and his wife are uninformed nouveau riche goobers with a barely room temperature IQ who believe in the second amendment.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    The problem is the low information voter will, by definition, have no knowledge of the 2 million times per year privately held guns are used to prevent crimes and his vote counts just as much as yours.
    Dr. db wrote: »
    The problem is the low information voter will, by definition, have no knowledge of the 2 million times per year privately held guns are used to prevent crimes and his vote counts just as much as yours.

Oh, you're totally correct on that. Non-gun people whom I've talked to are clueless and believe only the liberal mantra. Sigh.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "Bread and circuses- - - -it's been an effective political ploy to manipulate the masses since Roman times!"
    Jerry
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I converted many LEOs when I asked; what about your wife, children, sister, mother, brother non LEOs ?
    Do you really want to identify them in the morgue ?

Easy conversion, go forth proselytizing, tell the faithful the good news of CCW !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Dr. db wrote: »
    Another TV show trying to convince me that armed citizens are more dangerous than helpful.

And there are several.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    T.V. programs also try to convince folks that only LEOs carry in Calaforny, and that non LEOs are a great danger to all if they do carry.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Naturally the producers assumed that they could still do the show, and so they remade it as Major Crimes. But it was way too formulaic and repetitive -- after about 4-5 episodes you had seen all they had to offer. I'm guessing that some bigwig producer then decided the problem was that they had all older actors and so to entice a younger audience, they introduced this kid who was about as annoying as Ensign Crusher. So the show quickly devolved into a soap and I clicked it off.

My wife was a huge fan of The Closer, and still tries to watch Major Crimes, just because it retained some of the good characters. But, good characters suck, too, when they have lousy scripts. She fast-forwards through all of the 'Rusty' scenes, and can't stand Mary McConnell's character, either, so she can watch a whole episode in about 15 minutes. Apparently the writers flew the coop with Brenda Lee.

I admit that I liked most of the Closer episodes , but Major Crimes is a major bust.
    I tired quickly of Cold Case, all the episodes seemed to have the same general plot, the guilty codgers confessing to their crimes when in most instances on the show, all they needed to do was shut their yaps.

However shows like that are better than sleeping meds for me when I have insomnia.
    bisley wrote: »
    I admit that I liked most of the Closer episodes , but Major Crimes is a major bust.

The Closer was fun if you didn't take it too seriously. Kyra Sedgwick was a treat. Of course the actual police work in the show was speculative at best, but the writing was good and the humor okay. I suppose that with Major Crimes they've tried to make the show work without Kyra but that's a wash. And they made it even worse with that bratty kid. My girlfriend likes it still, but she's a total fan of police procedurals, the goofier the better. I tune 'em out.

I suppose that eventually there will be a new "good" police procedural appear, like The Shield or Homicide, someday....
    The Shield was good, however, I really hated how it ended.
    Even though I knew there was no way for it to have a happy ending.

I have watched "Blue Bloods" with Tom Sellick, they do make plenty of errors however.........