Home Main Category General Firearms

Lee has great customer service.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,535 Senior Member
I own six classic loaders and my .223 and .30-06 dies for the T-Mag press are Lee. My hand priming tool is Lee, etc, etc. For "non-precision" reloading I default to Lee equipment. I bought, new, the three die "Pacesetter" set of dies at the gun show over the weekend in .30-06. They had them on sale for $20 new!

Well, I get it home and discover the decapping rod is missing from the resizing die. Bummer. I emailed Lee and they have a new one in the mail right now. I'll be in business in no time.

I've never heard a bad thing about their customer service. My experience is not exception. It is a $4 decapping rod, but the principle of the matter is what counts.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    I use Lee Dies sets for some of my handgun cartridges and the Lee FCD for all my handgun loads. I can assuredly tell a difference between the RCBS and Lee Carbide dies in both quality and function with the RCBS being better in both. But, the ammo produced by either seems to be on par with each other. For straight walled pistol cartridges, I can't complain.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I use Lee Dies sets for some of my handgun cartridges and the Lee FCD for all my handgun loads. I can assuredly tell a difference between the RCBS and Lee Carbide dies in both quality and function with the RCBS being better in both. But, the ammo produced by either seems to be on par with each other. For straight walled pistol cartridges, I can't complain.

How are they better? I've only used lee dies and have been quite happy. I'm about to buy some .223 dies so would I be better off with RCBS or some other brand? Do they work ok in a lee press?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I modified a set of Lee .204 dies to make the .257 Scooter dies- - - -I used a solid carbide reamer to open up the decap/resize die out to the right diameter for the .257 case neck, and used a .25 caliber decap/resize pin. Then I reamed out the seater die to an appropriate diameter for the bigger bullets and used a .25 caliber seater plunger. Works like a champ!

Virtually all reloading dies have the same 7/8" thread, so they interchange between brands of presses. The exception would be some very old Lyman dies used in their tong tools. and a few proprietary dies used in the Dillon "make a bunch of mediocre ammo fast" presses. Unless you're into shooting bughole groups in the next zip code, or just like to brag about how much your equipment costs, Lee dies get the job done nicely.
    Jerry
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I own six classic loaders and my .223 and .30-06 dies for the T-Mag press are Lee. My hand priming tool is Lee, etc, etc. For "non-precision" reloading I default to Lee equipment. I bought, new, the three die "Pacesetter" set of dies at the gun show over the weekend in .30-06. They had them on sale for $20 new!

Well, I get it home and discover the decapping rod is missing from the resizing die. Bummer. I emailed Lee and they have a new one in the mail right now. I'll be in business in no time.

I've never heard a bad thing about their customer service. My experience is not exception. It is a $4 decapping rod, but the principle of the matter is what counts.
    Good buy Jason, I like the Lee dies. I bought a three die set for the 7.62x54R and it came with the. 308 expander. I made a call to Lee and they sent the. 312 expander at no charge....
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    They have been great to me. When I bought a used Loadmaster that had been poorly treated I sent it in for a rebuild fully expecting to pay for it. It came back 2-3 updates better for no charge. I have always had exceptional results from mine. They have a loyal customer in me.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,624 Senior Member
    The decapping rod also expands and rounds the neck. So it's important. I love Lee equipment just fine. Those who claim to see a difference in ammo reloaded with Lee equipment always fail to convincingly say why.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    My 348 Winchester dies are Lee they work great!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    They have been great to me. When I bought a used Loadmaster that had been poorly treated I sent it in for a rebuild fully expecting to pay for it. It came back 2-3 updates better for no charge. I have always had exceptional results from mine. They have a loyal customer in me.
    I second that.... Any more I buy the Lee RGB dies as I have all the shell holders anyway...I realy like the Lee single carbide pistol dies, but don't think they make them in .32S/W long which I need a set.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    sarg1c wrote: »
    I second that.... Any more I buy the Lee RGB dies as I have all the shell holders anyway...I realy like the Lee single carbide pistol dies, but don't think they make them in .32S/W long which I need a set.

They do, but slightly different??? I fergit , but whan I was reloading for a freind .32 S&W Long back in the 90s I called them about using .32 Auto dies and a Tech was very helpful telling me how to make it work by swapping something or the other.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/carbide-sizing-die-only/

Lee makes pretty darn darn good stuff that works, which is also very affordable. They have a lot of innovations in their products. Lately they have hit a home run with the Lee Classic Cast Turret/Single Stage Presses.

I have Redding Dies I bought for my 7.5X55 Swiss and some RCBS Competition dies I inherited from one of my brothers and some accessories/tools/odds and ends from a lot of makers.

I will say it used to be said Lee stuff would wear out and/or need replacement parts sooner than others, but they have started making stuff more durable. Stuff like screws that screwed into plastic threads on a powder hopper now have knurled knobs and things like that and upgrades to existing products.

Lee is like the Ford or Chevy compared to some of the others who are Buicks to Cadillacs on some of their product lines. Hold a Lee die and an RCBS and sure you can see/feel the difference in machine work/weight, but honestly not much difference in the finished product for MOST of our shootin purposes. Now some Lee stuff is getting up to LTD quality. Lee is nothing to be ashamed of owning.

I am a firm believer in their FCDs..........Factory Crimp Dies.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,737 Senior Member
    I've used Lee equipment for over twenty years. I taught my purest son on this equipment. He of the mind now "I'll only use RCBS" but for the life of me I can't understand why. I've loaded thousands of rounds with my equipment and have never had a problem with it.

A fool and their money are soon parted.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I can say with great certainty the Lee seating dies (rifle) suck big green donkey balls in comparison to Hornaday. The Hornaday lines the bullet up for you, while the Lee requires you to set the bullet on top of the case, hoping its straight. That's worth the extra price. As well as the lock rings on the Hornaday are actually....lock rings. The Lee dies attempt to accomplish a "lock" ring by cramming an O ring in the nut. Not a concern for turret press users, but it is for a single stage press.
    I've loaded some fantastic ammo on Lee dies. But they ain't the best.

I've loaded some 40gr Berger FBHP varmint bullets with the Lee seater no problem. And they were sitting on top of the case like a miniature leaning town of Pisa before I ran them up into the die.

I've disassembled my RCBS and Lee seater and I like the internal geometry of the RCBS more. But the Lee does ok, too.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    I have a Hornady Ammo Concentricity Tool I sometimes use to check and correct bullet run-out. Sometimes my reloads are just fine, others it will pull it in spec.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Ammunition-Concentricity-Tool/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
    Three thumbs up for the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Well worth the ectra step required.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    41magnut wrote: »
    Three thumbs up for the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Well worth the ectra step required.

Fits like a glove.........so to speak........ with their 4-hole Turrets........fills the last hole!
  • will-jwill-j Member Posts: 50 Member
    CPJ.... Lock rings can always be replaced. Been there. For the price, LEE dies cannot be beat.
    WILL
    :confused:
    [email protected]; I need my meds.
    THE WINDS OF TYRANNY ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Side note, hornady has the best lock ring design of all of them. It actually...locks. The RCBS and even the top dollar Reddings use that stupid set screw.

That's why I prefer Forster Lock Rings.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith