Home Main Category General Firearms

Drying brass after wet media tumbling.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,536 Senior Member
I'm going the route of wet brass tumbling with stainless steel media. I really like the results. The only issue is drying the brass afterwards; notably the time it takes to do it. So I am devising a plan...

wz2082_1.jpg

A rotary sieve like this one about 9"Wx14"L and turned on rollers using a small motor. Now, behind this sieve would be a heating element of some kind...maybe even a small space heater or rig up some thin copper tubing to be a 4-nozzle duct for a heat gun to blow hot air through the sieve as it tumbles. Nothing too hot, but definitely warm.

I reckon drying time would be less than 30 minutes. Let the brass cool and start loading. It would also tumble out any leftover steel pins in the cases.

Thoughts, suggestions? Especially motor suggestions.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,759 Senior Member
    What...you don't have an oven and a cookie sheet?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Boring. :tooth:
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Boring. :tooth:

Yes, but much quieter. Unless the soon to be Mrs MPD doesn't mind the racket.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Or, buy a cheap toaster oven. You'll need it anyway for cerrakoting or aluma-hyding parts, or working kydex...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,357 Senior Member
    some thoughts

1. if possible i would try to find a sieve with larger openings or at least large enough so that the smallest case won't fall through.

2. before you turn on the heat i would use the tumbling action to use some CDA and blow out as much water as possible so that you aren't waiting for puddled/settled water to dry.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,635 Senior Member
    I don't know, if my brass gets wet, it turns green.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Old pillow case
    Clothes dryer
    Old bath towel(s)

Toss the brass into the pillow case, add a couple of bath towels to muffle the clanking noises. Pin or tie the pillow case shut. Channel Ron Popeil- - - -"Set it and forget it!"
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    Use a hair dryer set on low blowing in one end of the sieve to dry the brass. Too bad you don't live closer; I got all the stuff needed to make about a dozen of those minus the hair dryers.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    Use a hair dryer set on low blowing in one end of the sieve to dry the brass. Too bad you don't live closer; I got all the stuff needed to make about a dozen of those minus the hair dryers.

Estimate shipping costs. :)
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    Estimate shipping costs. :)

:spittingcoffee: For a variable speed drive, check for one of those little kids battery powered cars; a Barbie jeep or something like that. Pull the motor and drive from one of those and you're half way there. Find another shaft and some wheels from a busted office chair, or buy new shaft and wheels from a big box building supply. Make a frame to hold the two shafts from wood and mount the motor and drive on the frame. Hook a battery charger to the motor and you're in business. Use small rubber wheels on the shaft driven by the motor and no speed control will be required if the kiddie car speed control is trashed. Drive wheels need to be locked to the shaft with epoxy, and the wheels on other shaft can be held in place with holes drilled on both sides and held in place with washers and cotter pins.

If there is any trick to building something like that, it's seeing something used for one purpose, and using it for a purpose it was not designed to do. In other words, channel your inner redneck! :roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    I'm really curious. How is the wet tumbling so much better than dry, that you're willing to build a brass dryer?
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Dryer when the wife's not home. Kinda like baking gun parts in the oven.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,049 Senior Member
    I'm going the route of wet brass tumbling with stainless steel media. I really like the results. The only issue is drying the brass afterwards; notably the time it takes to do it. So I am devising a plan...

wz2082_1.jpg

A rotary sieve like this one about 9"Wx14"L and turned on rollers using a small motor. Now, behind this sieve would be a heating element of some kind...maybe even a small space heater or rig up some thin copper tubing to be a 4-nozzle duct for a heat gun to blow hot air through the sieve as it tumbles. Nothing too hot, but definitely warm.

I reckon drying time would be less than 30 minutes. Let the brass cool and start loading. It would also tumble out any leftover steel pins in the cases.

Thoughts, suggestions? Especially motor suggestions.

Hmmmmm..................One or two of these might help........... http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Homeware/140kg-Capacity-4-Lazy-Susan-Bearing-516-Thick-Turntable-Bearings-VXB-Brand/0737976000061
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    jbohio wrote: »
    I'm really curious. How is the wet tumbling so much better than dry, that you're willing to build a brass dryer?

No corn cob or walnut media dust, mostly. Gets into primer pockets and inside cases better, IMO. Media is nearly infinitely resuable.

A dryer is not necessary, just convenient.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    I used o set them on a wood burning stove, but don't burn wood any more ..SO, here comes the oven again...
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    Get a cricket basket and set it on top of a bucket of Damp Rid. No noise.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.