Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley .44 mag - Field Report

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 21,108 Senior Member
As I mentioned in the .243 Winchester thread, I went hunting with a friend last night. The goal was to get him a deer on a ranch that wanted does and spikes culled and to use my .243 Winchester and 100gr Hornady bullets in the process. For science. Well, I wasn't going to go out without a gun for myself. But, with the drizzle and rain we were having, I wanted it to be stainless. So, since I was playing second fiddle to his hunt, I took the Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley in a shoulder holster under my jacket.

We ended up getting my friend a deer relatively early so, it was my turn to hunt.

Excuse the lack of scenic pictures I usually post along with a hunt. But, with the rain and all................I opted to keep the camera secure in my ruck.

We set up on a fence corner along a long, wide sendaro. As the evening progressed, I saw a few does come out into the sendaro. But, they were about 300 yards away and that wasn't happening with the .44 Mag. Nothing else showed up any closer, so we decided to still hunt our way down the brush line along the sendaro. Maybe something would walk out in front of me and within range of the revolver. About 5:45, as I passed in front of a two-track that ended at the sendaro, I saw deer down the road.

We crouched down and I set up the BOG-Pod Tripod with a Primos Lift-n-Loc and started looking down the road with binos. There was a BIG buck!!! But, I couldn't shoot him. Does and spikes only. Luckily, he and two smaller buck were chasing a doe and one of the smaller bucks was a spike. Woohoo!

I watched and waited as the light faded and they zig-zagged from one side of the road to the other in their pursuit of the doe. They would exit the brush, doe first, small buck, spike, and big buck trailing. Cross the road and enter the brush on the other side. Back and forth, but getting closer all the while. Finally, on the third crossing, the spike paused for a second as he crossed the road in procession. Unfortunately for him, he paused at 71 yards. As it was getting dark, it was now or never. I placed the crosshairs of the 2x Weaver scope on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger.

"BOOM!"..."POP!"

As the gun recoiled off the tripod, I saw the spike crumple to the ground. I looked at my buddy, who was on the other side of the road, and gave him a thumbs up. With his earlier doe and my spike, we were done for the evening.

Leaving my ruck and the tripod, I walked down the road towards the buck. As I approached, I saw him lift his head and try to move his front legs ineffectively. But, his back legs wouldn't move. Figured I'd spined him. So, I approached from his back side quietly, grabbed a horn, extended and turned his head, and punctured his right carotid with my knife. A simple small puncture in and out and the faucet was open. Like a hose on half full, the blood quickly poured out the opening and the buck faded.

We then drug him down the road to the sendaro and over to my friends doe. Then, in the mist and drizzle, took some pictures before going to get the truck.

DSCN1360-Copy_zps68b39944.jpg

Back at the house, with the rain increasing and the thunder and lightening storm passing overhead..................I butchered the two deer and conducted my postmortem under an umbrella in my friends driveway.

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley - .44 Rem Mag
240gr Hornady XTP
Muzzle Velocity: 1,416 fps
Distance: 71 yrds
Impact Velocity: 1,229 fps (est)

Entrance
DSCN1384_zpsa5a3ec8a.jpg

Entrance Under Hide
DSCN1388_zps1d6ac7b9.jpg

Entrance Under Shoulder
DSCN1390_zps80d76b4b.jpg

Bullet Broke Scapula on Entrance
DSCN1389_zps72c47860.jpg

Entrance Under Ribs
DSCN1392_zps9e373b2e.jpg

Heart/Lungs - Entrance
DSCN1393_zpsb5568a18.jpg

Heart/Lungs - Exit
DSCN1394_zpsfb830212.jpg

Exit Under Shoulder - Through Spine
DSCN1396_zpsebbc3101.jpg

Exit Through Shoulder
DSCN1395_zps8d4b6787.jpg

Exit
DSCN1386_zps33b455e2.jpg

Not a vital organ was struck and there was only minimal bruising to the top of the lungs from the temporary cavity caused by the hydrolic wave of the bullet passing through the deer. But, he dropped on the spot. Ultimately needing assistance from a blade to pass on.

Still, I am pleased that I got him and pleased with the performance of the bullet for where I put it.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,503 Senior Member
    I would think that the bruising (another word for internal bleeding) would have done him in sooner or later. Better to end it sooner regardless. The bullet did do a good job-- it busted through bone and kept pushing through. I don't think you could have asked more from it.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,487 Senior Member
    Hey, I'll take a dead deer either way you guys took 'em all day and twice on Tuesday. There's something to be said for a hole on both side of the deer, especially from a big, slow revolver bullet. Somehow, someway, it gets it done.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I had almost exactly those results last year. Seriously it is erie, my shot was 75yards 240gr JSP through the spine. I put a .22LR bullet in my bucks head though.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,108 Senior Member
    I went back to the ranch today with the good weather and took pics of the terrain.

This is the sendaro we walked down and the two-track I saw the deer on ends into the sendaro at the arrow.

DSCN1398-Copy2_zps1cb3bf1c.jpg

This is the view down the two track the deer were traveling up.

DSCN1406-Copy_zps81472be5.jpg

The horizontal arrow is where I was kneeling to shoot and the vertical arrow is where the buck what standing when I shot him. He had come out of the brush to the right and was traveling towards the brush on the left while following the doe.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,774 Senior Member
    Excellent performance from the bullet. I wonder if a .357 magnum could have accomplished the same. I doubt it.

Great presentation of the facts. :up:
    I want a .357 Mag to hunt with. That's a project for this year.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,618 Senior Member
    I got a good deal on some xtp's in the same weight a few years ago, they areaccurate in my blackhawk. I have only used it to finish some deer not at any range such as your shot was.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,503 Senior Member
    My son used the same bullet in a 44 mag bolt rifle and the bullet performance was fantastic. Expansion, weight retention, and penetration was all I could ever ask for.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    I got a good deal on some xtp's in the same weight a few years ago, they areaccurate in my blackhawk. I have only used it to finish some deer not at any range such as your shot was.

What load did you have in it when I shot that button buck? Not as far as Zee's shot, but as I recall he only made it about 100 yards, (if that), before he flopped over. In behind the left fore leg out through the right shoulder.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,618 Senior Member
    I believe you were shooting 300g bullets that day full house load I stopped buying them cause they were pricey and punishing to shoot still xtp bullet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    Most excellent! Going to have to start calling you Zee Weishuhn.
    twa wrote: »
    Most excellent! Going to have to start calling you Zee Weishuhn.

Funny you say that............

The irony is most hilarious.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,332 Senior Member
    Nice fat meat buck...some good eating there. The handgun/load performance is ...well...don't know what more a guy could ask for...Great report!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Nice fat meat buck...some good eating there. The handgun/load performance is ...well...don't know what more a guy could ask for...Great report!

Something I'm noticing with both the .44 Mag and the Casull, is the lack of trauma to the surrounding tissue of the bullets path.

Unlike high ugh velocity rifle rounds, these bullets get in and get out. Doing their thing with little fan fair to surrounding tissue.

No bloodshot, so to speak.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,328 Senior Member
    For science!

And sausage and jerky and steaks and ground venison and......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,689 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Excellent performance from the bullet. I wonder if a .357 magnum could have accomplished the same. I doubt it

I have killed 4 or 5 deer with the .357 and the results were similar to his.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    I have killed 4 or 5 deer with the .357 and the results were similar to his.......Robin

That is my goal for next year. To kill a deer with a .357 Mag.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    That is my goal for next year. To kill a deer with a .357 Mag.

For Science! Thanks for the write up. Always enjoy these.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY