Last hunt

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,465 Senior Member

Did our last regular season hunt yesterday. It was 25 degrees when we left home at 7:30, 11 when we started hunting at 10:30, and 4 when we finished! Wind blew at 20-30 NW all day. But enough griping, what a day! Eight of us filled our limit of 24 and shot 1 grouse as well.
Some of the most challenging shooting of the year. All the birds I shot were fast, high flyers. We had most our luck in standing corn, so we lost some as dogs couldn't see birds fall. Birds were quite skittish so nobody had any classic 'slam dunk' shots. Not to mention how bundled up you were due to cold!
Glen had another excellent day! He made 2 nice retrieves, found a bird I shot in corn that I would have never found, and stayed close all day. So happy with how he hunts in corn. Many times I know he can see the birds running ahead and doesn't panic and take off. Ran into his first **** yesterday and just left alone when I called him.
Hopefully will do a couple preserve shoots this winter. -12 now, so football in the man cave!
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,284 Senior Member
    Dang! You guys went out with a serious bang. Great job and I hate whoever scored that grouse. That's a bird I've never shot.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    I hate you
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Good times!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Our pheasant population got hammered last spring with 14-15 inches of rain in 3 days and assize flooding, looks like just a few hours west and north me, the hunting is still good. That's refreshing to see, pheasant hunting was terrible here
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I hate you

:that:

Great hunting btw...
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    With a day like that you can't complain about the weather!
    Congrats on a great hunt.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,843 Senior Member
    Nice last day to say the least, I never even made it out pheasant hunting this year, glad the hound is liking his job:applause:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11