Police officer accidentally shoots himself in Cincinnati

shushshush Senior MemberPosts: 6,259 Senior Member
Dear me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30702344

'The moment an off-duty police officer accidentally shot himself has been captured on camera.

CCTV footage shows Darryl Jouett enter an elevator in Cincinnati with his wife, before removing his gun from its holster.

He then struggles to reposition the weapon and it goes off. The bullet narrowly missed his wife before hitting him.'

:roll:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,331 Senior Member
    Doesn't say where he was hit, etc.

Looks like a better outcome than that police chief.

Wonder what kind of firearm it was? Maybe a Glock? :devil: :fan:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,732 Senior Member
    After looking a the video it looks like his weapon was not in a holster on his waist, just stuffed in his waist band. If you look at his face and then he starts messing around with the gun and pulls it out of
    his waist. Then it looked like he was trying to put it in his coat pocket again because he had no holster. Then practicing the worst gun handling I've seen manages to cover the woman at least a couple times, not to mention himself and manages to shoot himself. I hope he ok, I hope she is ok. No excuse for someone that wears a gun everyday!

As crusty old firearms instructed once told me. "Carrying a gun is a Brain On Activity!"
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    How did it narrowly miss his wife????? I though, at first, the bullet ricocheted, but no he just shot himself.

Man, why didn't he put down the box he was carrying first?

Brain Fart to the max.....................hope he recovers, but needs some serious extra training.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Tex Gruber shooting Academy!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    That was just some good old fashioned gun play, maybe he was just too freaking cheap to buy an off duty holster...... so he carried Gangsta rapper style......

Was he perhaps Lee Paige's cousin ?
    That DEA agent that was the only one professional enough to carry and shoost himself with a Glock 40 !!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    Judging from the shape of the gun, I would venture to guess it was a Glock, or similar striker-fired "safe action" P.O.S.
    horselips wrote: »
    Judging from the shape of the gun, I would venture to guess it was a Glock, or similar striker-fired "safe action" P.O.S.

Oh, so let's blame the gun for the general incompetence or stupidity of the user ????? Fumble a gun enough like that and you could probably negligently discharge most any gun.

Edited to add: If that gun was in a proper holster, it would not have discharged !!!!!!
    But there you see him Dinking around with his gun and it fires.......

More general words of wisdom from the South end of the Northbound horse.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • pardogpardog Member Posts: 423 Member
    horselips wrote: »

These type of guns due have a well established reputation for negligently discharging when the trigger is pulled.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,687 Senior Member
    pardog wrote: »
    These type of guns due have a well established reputation for negligently discharging when the trigger is pulled.

LOL. IMagine that- the gun fires when the trigger is pulled. Obviously a hardware problem.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Well I hear there is soon to be a Microsoft version of Windows for guns, called "Stoopid 3.1 build Idiot proof.... and when you pull the trigger it asks, do you really want to shoot your wife ? and also, your gun is busy downloading updates, Please try again later...
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Anybody who expects the gun NOT to go off when the booger hook pulls the trigger has the wrong idea of how that whole process is supposed to work.

I hope he fully recovers, AND gets some remedial training on how to handle his weapon.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    I had a handgun not go off when I pulled the trigger.

Turned out there wasn't a round in the chamber. That was soon fixed.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Was he hurrying up because he wanted to get it into his coat pocket before the elevator door opened and someone saw he had a gun??????

Bad decision and piss poor gun handling....................he could have killed/injured his wife (?) other innocents because of his NEGLIGENT behavior.

He should be punished..............really... how about TWO WEEKS WITHOUT PAY and a letter of reprimand in his official file or worse? Something he would never fergit!

That wasn't in the Line of Duty..............in line of careless behavior.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    With a suspension, he could always have some quality time with a 40 ounce bottle of malt liquor.....
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,159 Senior Member
    A senseless shooting that occurred by carrying a firearm. :)
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    "Police officer accidentally shoots himself in Cincinnati"- - - - - - -Hmmmmm- - - - - -I wonder which body part he calls "Cincinnatti"? Looks like it was somewhere in the groin area to me!
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Gene L wrote: »
    A senseless shooting that occurred by carrying a firearm. :)[/QUOTE/]

It was not the carry of the firearm, it was all that dabbling with it and pulling the trigger.

A senseless shooting that occurred because a senseless person was carrying a firearm, proving senseless senile demented people should not own or carry firearms.... FIFY..
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Gene L wrote: »
    ............... proving senseless senile demented people should not own or carry firearms....

That is a low blow, if I could remember your name and who you are I would................

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,687 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Well I hear there is soon to be a Microsoft version of Windows for guns, called "Stoopid 3.1 build Idiot proof.... and when you pull the trigger it asks, do you really want to shoot your wife ? and also, your gun is busy downloading updates, Please try again later...

Reminds me of this:

Clippy-suicide.jpg
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Pardog was being sarcastic, he forgot the dripping with sarcasm emoticon.

My impression was also he was too much a cheapskate to purchase an offduty holster and was carrying Mexican't style.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    Settle down kiddies, I never said the gun was at fault. I merely tried to identify the make. Of course the officer was the ultimate cause of his misadventure. But, for what it's worth (nothing to most here), if it is a Glock, that certainly didn't help the situation any.
    I remember a Police Officer that shot off his junk with a S&W model 10, he later admitted he that he liked to carry it hammer cocked and in his waist band sans holster.

If someone does not follow the rules of safe gun handling, what model gun they carry is somewhat irrelevant to the discussion.

The fact that he felt the need to unholster the gun and play with it and pull the trigger and shoost himself certainly did not help the situation.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,972 Senior Member
    But, but..if it had multiple safeties, this never would have happened....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    Those safeties only work IF the user engages them. If's a big word. If my aunt had testicles, she'd be my uncle.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Yeah, let's have a gun with no trigger !!!!! If there is no trigger, it will be a very safe gun!
    You will not be able to shoot it, so there can never be a negligent discharge !!!!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    But, but..if it had multiple safeties, this never would have happened....
    :that:
    I'm for more safeties
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN Depends adult undergarments are a good safety when you can no longer trust your farts !
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,798 Senior Member
    This was dumb on so many levels I can't begin to express them.

He had absolutely no reason to pull out his gun at that time.

Dumb! You cannot fix stupid and sometimes it hurts.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    You just can't feel pity on some dopes.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member
    Stupidity at it's best. Why couldn't he have given the box to his wife to hold.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.