Yes, maybe Romney again.

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,851 Senior Member
I tell you all what, I think of what's out there so far, Romney is the one with the better chance at getting elected. I think a lot of people realize that they should have voted for him last time now. I still say, he's a lot more conservative than people give him credit for. My old line, you don't get elected Governor of the People's Republic of Massachusetts by doing your Ronald Reagan impersonation, still holds true for me. I think he did what he had to to get elected Governor of Massachusetts and he did what the majority of the voters who put him in office wanted. But listening to him the last ten years or so I think he'd be a great president. I think on a national scale he is much more conservative than what people saw of him in Massachusetts on a state level. He's level headed, he's dedicated to keeping us strong, and I think he can get a balanced budget in his tenure as president. Also, he's much better than the NJ fat boy and he's got a lot better chance of getting elected than Jeb Bush. I personally like Jeb too, but I just can't see another Bush getting elected anytime soon.

So as it stands now, if a Louie Gomert type guy doesn't run, Romney is my man.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
«1

Replies

  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,454 Senior Member
    This is sad.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    This is sad.

    Why sad? Explain yourself. cpj is going to come in here and rip me up one side and down the other, but he's gonna tell me why and in doing so I can't really in good faith complain. So if this is so sad, Tell me why you think it's sad!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,201 Senior Member
    We got a whole year before this actually starts getting serious for us again. I sincerely think Romney is a good man and would have made a much better president than Obama, but he has had his chance. 2012 was his to lose and he lost it. It would be like John Kerry running again. No way! If he sincerely loves his country, he can do the right thing by stepping aside so as to not be the typical Republican "rich old white guy" presidential candidate and help some of these young guns get elected.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    I voted for him before, and I'd do it again.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I'm waiting for it, waaaaiiiitttting for it..........

    The Juggernaut will be here soon.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,100 Senior Member
    Weren't Romney and McCain supposed to be the most "electable" candidates when they ran? How did that work out? (BTW, I voted for both because I didn't approve of the alternative.)

    Maybe something/someone different is in order? I don't know who, because they haven't presented themselves. But I've heard here and abroad that if a true conservative were to run, he'd do better than an "electable semi-moderate." Perhaps that's who we should support NOW, not lament his poor run after the primaries?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people realize that they should have voted for him last time now.

    Nope, no I don't. I realize, he is still not worth voting for. I vote for the individual, not who is "better". I would make a better neurosurgeon than my dog. You would be a fool to opt to have me perform neurosurgery on you, based on relativism.
    snake284 wrote: »
    My old line, you only get elected Governor of the People's Republic of Massachusetts by being a raging liberal
    fify.:agree:
    snake284 wrote: »
    But listening to him the last ten years or so I think he'd be a great president. I think on a national scale he is much more conservative than what people saw of him in Massachusetts on a state level.
    Why? Because he said so? Because of the R after his name? For me an individual is defined by his actions, not his words. Romney's actions are of a progressive, big gov, Liberal. He is simply saying what he thinks you want to hear. The pigs are in the farmhouse.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    Romney wouldn't even use the hard facts he had (via tons of video) to play hardball with the Democrats, for fear of alienating Hispanic and independent voters. Instead, he alienated conservative voters who were already suspicious of him over his 'flip-flops.' I want a candidate who will use the truth to beat the opposition, to counter the lies they will use against him. Romney could have won if hadn't been so timid.

    Yes, Romney would have been a better president, but so would PeeWee Herman or Dennis Rodman.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    I bumped into Romney a few months ago at the FBO in Nassau.Actually had a ten minute one on one
    with him while he waited for his plane to arrive. I was very impressed with his approach-ability,In my line of work I get to meet a lot of" BIG WIGS" Athletes, movie stars and most of our X Presidents going back to
    Nixon (yes I'm that old ) most are not as approachable as he was. He was on vacation with his family
    and most of the conversation centered around his stay in Nassau.However, I did bring up the Milk Toast
    factor and the establishment Republicans as one of my concerns, he seemed to understand.
    I must say, I walked away from the experience with a very positive opinion of the man. JMO

    BTW, he was alone with his family,no handlers,security,nanny's ect
    just another family on vacation!!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,100 Senior Member
    I don't think that Romney is a bad guy. I think he's a little disconnected, and I don't think that he is effective at playing hardball and prone to the political winds.

    But I don't think he needs another chance. He lost the Republican primaries in 2008 (to McCain) and the election in 2012. He's had his chance. Yes Reagan lost the 1976 primary and won in 1980, but I think if he'd have lost in 1980, he wouldn't have been able to run in 1984.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    I'm tired. Tired of holding my nose and voting for the person the party establishment says "can win." Tired of them putting up guys just because it's their turn. We won't mention names; Dole, McCain, Romney, Bush the third. The whole
    Democrat. = pie in the sky with ice cream and
    Republican = pie in the sky but we can't afford ice cream right now just isn't a winner for my side.
    At the same time voting for a third party seems like a waste. I learned my lesson with Perot. Although I'm happy happy to let liberals/progressives or whatever they are calling themselves now vote Green, Marxist, Socialist, Nader, Bull Moose, Globalist French Onion Soup, or whatever dilutes their vote. Right now Bush III has the twin albatross (yes that really is a proper plural) of common core and immigration "reform" while Romney has "Romneycare" and common core.
    I'd like to see Allen West, Condoleeza Rice, Carly Fiorna, Susana Martinez, Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, John Kasich, or another fresh person come in. It is too bad that Sarah Palin has become a reality TV "star".
    In addition we have the problem that I am not sure you can legislate independence. We have seen that it is easy to legislate dependence. The leftists have been using the ratchet technique for almost a century now.
    Unfortunately the kids are too young for me to say, "That's it! We're going off the grid!" and they might not be safe even then.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,726 Senior Member
    Insanity: doing the dame thing over and over and expecting a different result.

    That goes fir Job Bush as well
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    The real question is................................. does Romney eat Hominy? :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    We got a whole year before this actually starts getting serious for us again. I sincerely think Romney is a good man and would have made a much better president than Obama, but he has had his chance. 2012 was his to lose and he lost it. It would be like John Kerry running again. No way! If he sincerely loves his country, he can do the right thing by stepping aside so as to not be the typical Republican "rich old white guy" presidential candidate and help some of these young guns get elected.

    Two things, One I see your point and will concede that he's probably had his chance. But, two, I don't know if he's got his heart in another run. When you lose twice it takes a lot of wind and desire out of your sails. But I think he's got a lot of pressure from some of his constituents that are afraid we will end up with New Jersey Fats or Jeb Bush on the ticket and they, like myself see Romney not only as a much better candidate (In the case of New Jersey Fats) and also having a better shot at getting elected (than Jeb Bush). In truth I think Romney is one of the best and I really wish he'd won in 2012. But again, like you said, 2012 was his to lose and he did just that. I think that last debate might have been his downfall because he played Mr. Nice Guy and let Obama Hornswaggle him. He didn't push a couple of important issues that he could have won that debate on and not only did he not win those in the middle who hadn't made up their minds, he lost some of us as well. But this is the bad thing about debates. Do they really show what a man or woman can actually do on the job? I don't think so, and in fact I know it doesn't mean squat. It just means a man has a better line of qua qua in a debate. I still say Romney would have made a better president not only than Obama but a bunch of aspiring Republicans as well, just like this time.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I ain't gonna rip you, because you can't fix stupid. Because anyone thinks Romney can win is...stupid. He's THE reason we have Obama. Folks like you will punch that R ticket, without fail, every time. The people that won't, are the ones that make or break elections. The ones who stayed home or voted 3rd party because they couldn't stomach pulling the lever for Romney...they are the ones that will select our next POTUS.

    You wanna see stupid? Go look in the mirror and tell me I'm stupid when Hillary is inaugerated in Jan. 2017! Because you voted for Charlie Loser.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Annnnd, there it is. My dog catcher would have been better than Obama. Point is.... He. Can't. Win. Period.
    All he is doing is ing up the works. He had his chance and lost, time to move along and let someone with a chance run.

    How many times have you seen three times is a charm? And I'm saying this because the Repubs can't seem to find new blood. But I will stick my neck out and say you are misjudging Mit Romney. He's a better man than any in the running now and probably in 2016.

    Look, all BS aside, I'm not saying run out and put a Romney sign in your front yard. I'm basically saying this looks like our choices. And we need someone to put in the running. If I could dig up a Ronald Reagan or a Barry Goldwater even, I'd drop this like a hot potato. But I don't see anything of interest being promoted. And I'm praying for somebody to step forward.

    don't get me wrong, I still believe in Romney. But I don't have the warm and fuzzy over his chances.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,146 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    You wanna see stupid? Go look in the mirror and tell me I'm stupid when Hillary is inaugerated in Jan. 2017! Because you voted for Charlie Loser.
    Or Elizabeth "Pocahontas" Warren. It remains to be seen who survives the primary meat grinder, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going down that road of 2008 and 2012 again. My solution to the question of voting/not voting would be to vote all the other candidates/issues and leave the President box unchecked.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,105 Senior Member
    If Romney runs and gets the nomination, I won't vote for him. Romneycare, common core, weak as watered down whiskey on the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendments, more big government just like the Democommunists. No, I will NOT vote for more of the same, but from the other side of the aisle. I'm damned sick and tired of the Republican Party and their weak kneed candidates that are impossible to separate from their Democrat opponents by even the thinnest sheet of paper as to their stands on the issues, the Constitution(that they BOTH use for butt wiping paper), and their empty promises and outright lies.

    Condi Rice, Allen West, Bobby Jindal, or some of the other new Republican leaders would much more palatable than any of the same tired old farts like Romney, the fat boy from Jersey, Huckabee, Jeb Bush, or any of the other usual suspects that spew the same vile crap to get elected.

    If some piece of crap like Romney gets the nomination I will NOT pull that lever. Nor will I pull the lever for the Democrat. Shooting oneself in the left foot as opposed to shooting oneself in the right foot is NO LONGER AN OPTION!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.



  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    104RFAST wrote: »
    I bumped into Romney a few months ago at the FBO in Nassau.Actually had a ten minute one on one
    with him while he waited for his plane to arrive. I was very impressed with his approach-ability,In my line of work I get to meet a lot of" BIG WIGS" Athletes, movie stars and most of our X Presidents going back to
    Nixon (yes I'm that old ) most are not as approachable as he was. He was on vacation with his family
    and most of the conversation centered around his stay in Nassau.However, I did bring up the Milk Toast
    factor and the establishment Republicans as one of my concerns, he seemed to understand.
    I must say, I walked away from the experience with a very positive opinion of the man. JMO

    BTW, he was alone with his family,no handlers,security,nanny's ect
    just another family on vacation!!

    And that's the feeling I get sometimes listening to him, not make speeches, because they are all canned, but in interviews. I like the man. Hey he's a mormon. I have known lots of Mormons, and they are very pragmatic people. They are realists. Sometimes that doesn't equal good campaign retoric. But they are true blue folks on the whole. They get things done. While I can't buy their particular brand of religion, I don't care if they worship a golden goose on Sunday. I have never seen one push his religion from a position of influence. Yeah, they ride their Bicycles around in their white shirts and ties and black pants like they left church in a hurry and forgot their coats. But that's as far as i've seen their proselytizing go. I worked with a bunch of Engineers that were all Mormon and on the job I never heard a word about religion. I think overall they're great people and unlike Muslims (AND some Baptists, which I used to be) keep their religion in a proper place. But they have great values that I wouldn't mind seeing a president have. BTW I'm an Episcopal, not a Mormon.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    If Romney runs and gets the nomination, I won't vote for him. Romneycare, common core, weak as watered down whiskey on the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendments, more big government just like the Democommunists. No, I will NOT vote for more of the same, but from the other side of the aisle. I'm damned sick and tired of the Republican Party and their weak kneed candidates that are impossible to separate from their Democrat opponents by even the thinnest sheet of paper as to their stands on the issues, the Constitution(that they BOTH use for butt wiping paper), and their empty promises and outright lies.

    Condi Rice, Allen West, Bobby Jindal, or some of the other new Republican leaders would much more palatable than any of the same tired old farts like Romney, the fat boy from Jersey, Huckabee, Jeb Bush, or any of the other usual suspects that spew the same vile crap to get elected.

    If some piece of crap like Romney gets the nomination I will NOT pull that lever. Nor will I pull the lever for the Democrat. Shooting oneself in the left foot as opposed to shooting oneself in the right foot is NO LONGER AN OPTION!

    If you don't vote for a lesser piece of crap (in your mind) you might as well go ahead and pull that D lever. It has the same effect in the end.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, the Republican leadership knows that conservatives will usually show up to vote against liberals, hoping that the candidate might slow down the slide the country is in. Too many didn't, last time, so they will try to 'tweak' the 2016 candidate with a conservative slant on an issue that might pull conservatives in without scaring off independents. They usually fail at this, unless the Democrat is a more pitiful candidate than their own.

    I'm completely convinced the Republicans could win in a landslide with a good conservative candidate, supported by the entire party. But I think the leadership would actually rather lose than have a sincere conservative president.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I ain't gonna rip you, because you can't fix stupid. Because anyone thinks Romney can win is...stupid. He's THE reason we have Obama. Folks like you will punch that R ticket, without fail, every time. The people that won't, are the ones that make or break elections. /QUOTE]

    See, you missed the point AGAIN. I didn't vote for Romney in the Primary. That's where you need to protest what the established Repubs do. Although I think you misjudge Romney, I didn't vote for him in the primary because I was trying to get someone in the General Election I thought had a reasonable chance of winning and was a known conservative.


    The ones who stayed home or voted 3rd party because they couldn't stomach pulling the lever for Romney...they are the ones that will select our next POTUS.[

    You did that the last time. The ones that stayed home or voted for a third party are the ones that put Obammy in the driver's seat. That ain't Missile Surgery!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,566 Senior Member
    No Romney - PLEASE. That'd be as bad as Jeb Bush. The Rs always manage to self-destruct, they will this time too - you heard it here first.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    so they will try to 'tweak' the 2016 candidate with a conservative slant on an issue that ht pull conservatives in without scaring off independents.

    I'm completely convinced the Republicans could win in a landslide with a good conservative candidate, supported by the entire party. But I think the leadership would actually rather lose than have a sincere conservative president.

    I agree with most everything you say, as usual, but it doesn't have a lot to do with what the Republican establishment wants in the PRIMARY. Or it shouldn't.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Once the Primary is done, the die is cast. If your candidate didn't win in the primary, you now have the choice of voting for the lesser of the evils or staying home or voting for a Third Party Loser. Both of the latter will have the same effect, with no visible or invisible gain made. The Dummycraps will again have the keys to the country and will shove all the Crap they can down our throat.

    I still say that ANY Republican is better than about any Dummycrap, which definitely includes Hillary, and that we can hold the RINO's feet to the fire. But once you let it go full tilt bozo Dummycrap, we lose all control. Once it's past the primary it's all over for the protest crowd. You either do damage control or suffer in a sinking ship.

    I don't see where any of you think losing the general election to a dummycrap is doing us any good or making those in the middle ground vote more conservative. They are who they are and they are WHAT they are and your little protest vote ain't gonna change them. Do it in the primare where it will help. And just for the record, like i've already said, if there's a good conservative running in the primary he has my vote there before anyone.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,105 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    If you don't vote for a lesser piece of crap (in your mind) you might as well go ahead and pull that D lever. It has the same effect in the end.

    Wrong. I will NOT vote for the 'clean' end of the turd. And, for the record, there hasn't been a conservative candidate for President since Thomas Jefferson. The slimy little worms that claim to be conservatives are filth that crawled out from under a rock in the manure pit, and the sooner they return, the better. The conservatives you seem to support are so far left of center that I can't even see them without the Hubble telescope. They are not now, nor have they EVER BEEN, nor will they EVER BE, conservatives. A true conservative candidate has the same chance of winning a national election as 1,000,000 people picking the same winning numbers on the Powerball lottery 10 weeks running.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.



  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I have often heard voting choices as voting for a turd sandwich or a vinegar wash, well we all know turds make you sick, a salad is OK with vinegar, somehow given the available choices, it seems we end up with more gun control.. Maybe I am a one issue voter, however , it seems to me if a Politician is anti gun, his or her other policies stink on ice too..... then if that Politician is a Republican and his opponent is a dyed in the wool Democrat, it can only stink worse.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 380 Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I ain't gonna rip you, because you can't fix stupid. Because anyone thinks Romney can win is...stupid. He's THE reason we have Obama. Folks like you will punch that R ticket, without fail, every time. The people that won't, are the ones that make or break elections. The ones who stayed home or voted 3rd party because they couldn't stomach pulling the lever for Romney...they are the ones that will select our next POTUS.

    I think there was also major voter fraud. Which, unless the republicans gain control of the voting machine circuitry in major metro areas will happen again.

    Beyond that Romney stunk as a candidate, and less people voted in 2012 than in 2008.

    I see no relief from this wondrous Republican Congress, and even in the longshot that a Republican president can be elected I don't see one, outside of Rand Paul that will change course.

    The only way to real Federal Change, IMO would be an article V convention with a supermajority of states doing things like repealing the 14th, 16, 17th amendments, creating a balanced budget amendment, acknowledging the pre 1880 view that States should be in charge of immigration in their area, and an acknowledgement that the Constitution was a compact and that states could secede at will without any Lincolnesque repercussions.

    I guess I'd settle for repeal of the 16th and 17th amendments and a balanced budget amendment....
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 380 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Once the Primary is done, the die is cast. If your candidate didn't win in the primary, you now have the choice of voting for the lesser of the evils or staying home or voting for a Third Party Loser. Both of the latter will have the same effect, with no visible or invisible gain made. The Dummycraps will again have the keys to the country and will shove all the Crap they can down our throat.

    I still say that ANY Republican is better than about any Dummycrap, which definitely includes Hillary, and that we can hold the RINO's feet to the fire. But once you let it go full tilt bozo Dummycrap, we lose all control. Once it's past the primary it's all over for the protest crowd. You either do damage control or suffer in a sinking ship.

    I don't see where any of you think losing the general election to a dummycrap is doing us any good or making those in the middle ground vote more conservative. They are who they are and they are WHAT they are and your little protest vote ain't gonna change them. Do it in the primare where it will help. And just for the record, like i've already said, if there's a good conservative running in the primary he has my vote there before anyone.

    and thus you accord white hats to Republicans and black hats to Democrats, and vote for Republicans so a Democrat won't win and continue the cycle.

    And define good conservative? What are we conserving - this present mess?

    If the Repubs pick one of the usual suspects and the Dems somehow nominate Jim Webb, I would vote Webb over another Bush, Romney again, Corpulent Christie, Little Ricky Santorum, etc.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Something like 4 MILLION people who vote for McCain, stayed home and did not vote at all, with Romney on the ticket. I will be joining them if they cannot get the establishment Republicans to pull their collective heads out. I will be going all out in the primary elections to attempt to assist in the pulling. I will not vote for Christie, Romney, Jeb or any other milquetoast loser who pretends to be just conservative enough to try to sucker me in. Done. The only difference between Christie and Hillary is the equipment.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.