Yes, maybe Romney again.

2»

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If he is nominated/runs/wins they will have to build additions on to the WH when his family all comes to visit to accommodate them all or put them on cots in the hallways :tooth:

Do yáll thunk he has a lessor chance than Jeb in an election against Billery?

So if neither Jeb or Mitt.........then who is yer choices? I think there are about 20 Reps in the "Possibles" who may throw their hats in the ring, according to the yak yak shows on TV.

I like Huckabee, nice and smart man, but don't think he can win a presidential election because he will/is viewed as too religious.

Things should get interesting as the announcements/ process/ selections/drop outs move along. Probably see some pretty dirty pool being played by ALL SIDES before it is over.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I DID vote for the lesser crap sandwich (Romney) last time. Like I have ALWAYS DONE. I won't again, but that's NOT the point. The point is, which is obviously lost on you, is the conservative voters didnt get out and vote for him last time, and they won't do it if he runs again.

Then tell me again, what do you suggest?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 380 Member
    Originally Posted by cpj
    I DID vote for the lesser crap sandwich (Romney) last time. Like I have ALWAYS DONE. I won't again, but that's NOT the point. The point is, which is obviously lost on you, is the conservative voters didnt get out and vote for him last time, and they won't do it if he runs again.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Then tell me again, what do you suggest?

Withdrawing our consent to be governed.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    mohican wrote: »
    and thus you accord white hats to Republicans and black hats to Democrats, and vote for Republicans so a Democrat won't win and continue the cycle.

And define good conservative? What are we conserving - this present mess?

If the Repubs pick one of the usual suspects and the Dems somehow nominate Jim Webb, I would vote Webb over another Bush, Romney again, Corpulent Christie, Little Ricky Santorum, etc.

You say a lot here, but like a few more on here you offer no alternative except giving then General Election to the Democrats. And yes, I think Republicans wear whiter hats than Dummycraps. Because the Democratic party is so far left it's off the radar and if you can't see a difference in the two go read each platform. Any elected official of either party is influenced by the party platform. That's a fact jack. They don't always do what we want them to, but if they come out way mroe liberal than we want, we can hold them to the fire and stop their leftist progression.

I think I'm up against some radical conservatives here who would rather cut off their nose to spite their face. This is politics and in case you haven't seen it, politics is totally about compromise. Without it you have a dictator who might do things the way you see fit most of the time but not all the time and you're gonna hate the times they don't because a dictator doesn't really have to answer to the voters. When is the last time you saw a president that did things your way every time. I've never seen one. Now if I was a liberal I could probably find a few Dummycraps who have done things perfectly to a blind, yellow dog liberal's eye. But that's not what we, any of us here, are. Well let me retract that, there are a couple like that here, but not the majority.

Yeah, I'm going to try and help elect a conservative candidate that will do mostly what I want to see, but if that doesn't happen I'm not going to let the left handed commies win outright either.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,281 Senior Member
    Stupid is running (and voting for) someone who has already lost an election because the people didnt like him.
    I'm not sure what part of this you missed. As I said dyed in the wool Republican voters will pull the R lever, REGARDLESS. We don't give a rats ass about them. They are a lock. But they alone cant win an election. It's the people who don't want a RINO that will decide the next POTUS. And if Romney gets the nomination, you best break out the cigars for Hillary.

I think you are wrong in that not enough Rs showed up to pull the R handle because they didn't like him. If they had, it would have been a different result. This time around, more people then ever indentify themselves a I so while I think you are right about him losing again, the Is will make a bigger difference.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Martha McSally (R), retired Colonel, USAF, ran for Congress in 2012 against incumbent Ron Barber (D), and lost. She made the mistake of saying a few too conservative things in a deep blue district with a huge Democratic registration advantage. All Barber had to do was run ads of McSally saying conservative things. Well, she ran again in 2014, only this time she learned how to campaign without handing the opposition free ads, and she won. I now enjoy being served by a conservative Republican representative. Moral of the story: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. True that.

Romney is no dummy. He's smart and he learns from his mistakes. That's why he's a completely self-made gazillionaire. Like many politicians, his personal ideology has evolved. He's grown, and is now much more conservative than some people think, and politically more reliable than Mr. Common Core-Amnesty Bush. A Romney campaign in 2016 would look and sound nothing like 2012, and I would eagerly support him (again). Not at all the lesser of 2 evils, Romney is a brilliant administrator and I would wager real American money he'd make a fine President. I wouldn't bet a thing on Hillary being a fine one.

Nobody the GOP nominates will be acceptable to the Death-Wish Conservatives. They're happier staying home, or voting some asinine third party, feeling they are punishing the Republican Party (and, stupidly, their country, and, unwittingly, themselves) for not kissing their hand and soothing their petty little anger. They might just be angry enough to get Hillary elected. Thanks for nothing.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,148 Senior Member
    Isn't doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result the definition of insanity?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wasn't the general consensus why Mitt lost was he was not aggressive enough in debates and came off as just another rich white guy who didn't connect with a lot of voters?

Whomever they put forward better have something to sell the voters will buy.

Reps need a new angle of approach that is inclusive of Americans who feel they have left them out for decades. They come off as harsh, mean and uncaring to a lot of voters...........deserved or not. I don't see them/us that way, but it is a fact. Perception is everything in politics.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Isn't doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result the definition of insanity?

Yes, like beating a dead horse and expecting it to get up, yet people continue to do the same thing, electing politicians like Ted Kennedy and expecting different results each time.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,071 Senior Member
    Romney signed an AWB into law when he was Governor....this is the Mark of Cain as far as I'm concerned and should play a huge part of how you vote in the primaries.... Yeah, I've heard him try to explain why....and you know what? I don't buy it...he's a sell out ....and a left leaning Republican....There is no place for an appeaser....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    We are doomed, politics has destroyed this country.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »

To quote: "I have seen the enemy and he is us !!!!!

The ambiguous is replaced with a face, the collective "We have destroyed this Country" not politics, people build or destroy and are responsible for creating the politics of a nation.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    You say a lot here, but like a few more on here you offer no alternative except giving then General Election to the Democrats. And yes, I think Republicans wear whiter hats than Dummycraps. Because the Democratic party is so far left it's off the radar and if you can't see a difference in the two go read each platform. Any elected official of either party is influenced by the party platform. That's a fact jack. They don't always do what we want them to, but if they come out way mroe liberal than we want, we can hold them to the fire and stop their leftist progression.

I think I'm up against some radical conservatives here who would rather cut off their nose to spite their face. This is politics and in case you haven't seen it, politics is totally about compromise. Without it you have a dictator who might do things the way you see fit most of the time but not all the time and you're gonna hate the times they don't because a dictator doesn't really have to answer to the voters. When is the last time you saw a president that did things your way every time. I've never seen one. Now if I was a liberal I could probably find a few Dummycraps who have done things perfectly to a blind, yellow dog liberal's eye. But that's not what we, any of us here, are. Well let me retract that, there are a couple like that here, but not the majority.

Yeah, I'm going to try and help elect a conservative candidate that will do mostly what I want to see, but if that doesn't happen I'm not going to let the left handed commies win outright either.

What has compromise and voting for lesser of evils gained people who voted for Republicans because "dey conservative"? More government, more bad candidates, and even with R's in all three branches increase in the size and scope of Federal Government. And more overseas entanglements which should have been avoided.

If you step back and look at results, there is not much difference. Boehner is slightly preferable to Pelosi, but is he reversing course? Of course not.

There is no solution to our problems from voting for "the right group of Republicans".
    How about the next Republican Candidate embracing and borrowing one of Benjamin Harrison's slogans
    We Americans have no commission from God to police the world. ...
    by Benjamin Harrison
    Buford wrote: »

Are politics a reflection of the body politic? (I can make both arguments)
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,460 Senior Member
    Are politics a reflection of the body politic? (I can make both arguments)

Yes and no. The folks we put 'in charge' come from the ranks of the choosers, so yes. Since those we choose are not 'us', then no. We vote for those whom we think best represent our beliefs, mores, etc. But, since no representative is 'me', they can no sooner truly represent me than they could sprout wings and fly. Accordingly, I think we're constantly stuck voting for someone who is not only not the 'best' choice, but who is the 'least worst' choice.

Politics is said to be the art of compromise. Too often, compromise means learning to season the crap sandwich to make it easier to swallow.

Like Chris, I am well and truly tired of crap that tastes better. My problem is that I also know I don't have the answer...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    If 1/4 of the nation gets federal assistance ie food stamps, and 1/2 do not have to pay (except FICA) into the leviathan - how do you convince them to vote against a perceived short term loss in benefits? There is no altruism.
    Why sad? Explain yourself. cpj is going to come in here and rip me up one side and down the other, but he's gonna tell me why and in doing so I can't really in good faith complain. So if this is so sad, Tell me why you think it's sad!

Read the above post.

Personally, I believe Romney has shown time and again that he would likely do quite well as our CINC. He is an effective administrator. He negotiates better than most. He has actually run things most-if not all-of those things pretty well.

He is also (IMO) nationally unelectable. If you want Hillary (or whoever else they can trot out) as Pres., then Romney is definitely your guy.
    George Carlin
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    One major obstacle for conservative candidates early in the primary process is States that allow democrats
    to vote in Republican primaries.Democrats are voting for squishy republicans they can live with should they become President.Once early momentum is established the press basically becomes advocates for these
    Republicans. Establishment Republicans know this. Most folks I talk with are bewildered how these RYNO's
    keep winning the early primaries. Don't forget the donor class like it this way.
    If 1/4 of the nation gets federal assistance ie food stamps, and 1/2 do not have to pay (except FICA) into the leviathan - how do you convince them to vote against a perceived short term loss in benefits? There is no altruism.

Preaching to the choir, friend.

Not that we've tried, but we make too much for any sort of assistance. Unfortunately for us and many like us, we happen to be part of that 'no man's land' in the lower middle that would likely benefit greatly from assistance (even if like me, they wouldn't accept it) but not only can't get it, they also get to help pay for it. I look around and see folks who no longer care (if they ever did) to even try, while suckers like me continue try all the harder in order to stay afloat. I believe we are approaching that fabled 'tipping point' as a country.

Entire generations of americans (small 'a') have been raised to understand that this is just how things are. You don't have to look all that hard to find entire families that have never had any sort of meaningful self-support. If you talk to them, they'll tell you all about not having money to pay the light bill or rent, yet don't see the irony of having cable or satellite TV, or buying fastfood for meals, booze to party with, a $2000 stereo for the family Trans Am, or cigarettes to smoke.

How do you convince them? Good question.

In the meantime, the other guys are working overtime to provide even more folks with the stuff they want by considering 'free' junior college. To a father who is going to be sending his daughter off to school next year, I have to wonder is he talking to me, and those like me? Have they identified another demographic to be co-opted and are now casting the bait to see who bites?
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,657 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Unfortunately for us and many like us, we happen to be part of that 'no man's land' in the lower middle that would likely benefit greatly from assistance (even if like me, they wouldn't accept it) but not only can't get it, they also get to help pay for it. I look around and see folks who no longer care (if they ever did) to even try, while suckers like me continue try all the harder in order to stay afloat.

My older daughter wanted to attend a 4 year university so she could major in deaf education, but couldn't get any of the grants or scholarships being handed out to her friends. Between her mother and I, we made too much money, which flabbergasted me, since some of the kids that did qualify drove better cars and lived in nicer homes than we did. We worked it out with one small scholarship, a student loan, and all I could contribute, which was about 1/3 of the cost. She made it pay by graduating Summa **** Laude and was actually hired before graduation. None of her friends that got grants did as well, by a long shot.

It makes you wonder how many gifted talents are wasted by a government that is more interested in educating folks who end up selling cell phones, than encouraging dedicated students who sincerely want to help fill one of society's genuine needs.
    Ditto that.
    This year I've made more money than I have ever made. I'm afraid I may be screwed on my taxes. If I have to pay in, I will become a HUGE Richard when standing in line behind the food stamp folks buying junk food or beter steak than i can afford. I typically bite my tongue, but won't if I get hosed on taxes.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I have to bite my tongue, (corporate requirement) but I get to see it all day, every day. Hey, at least I get to fix the electric scooters that we have to provide for all those poor folks to ride around on while I'm buying their groceries...:roll:

As for taxes, I'm probably going to be hosed as well. I'll be making a lot less this year due to the job switch, but I know I'm going to take it in the shorts somehow, come tax time.
    George Carlin
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Prepare to be hosed. On paper, the wife and I (due mostly to her small business) just barely made 6 figures. HOWEVER, after health care expenses, insurance, business expenses and taxes, our NET is probably going to be closer to upper 50's. We are on pins and needles waiting to see how hard we get slammed on taxes this year.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    It doesn't matter any more. BLOOMBERG GOT HIS UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECK in OR and he'll get it in WA. And where ever else he wants it.I had feint hope when the Republican swept Congress but the quickly poured ice water on that. OBAMA WILL GET WHAT he wants for the next 2 years and that will be that. THAT BLACK Dr that everyone is so excited about says country people need guns but city people dont. Jeb Bush gave Hillary some kinda medal of freedom on the 1 year anniversary of Bengajzi. By the time the primary gets to my state the candidate is already decided. My vote is worthless. First they took my insurance away and now they're going to tax it. From SAL to NBC news, the media will do whatever they can to elect Hillary.
    The USA I thought my grand kids would grow up in and live in is almost over. And no one but cranky old men like me even cares.
    It's over. Last one out, turn out the lights.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs