Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Just got a call from the NRA

ken55ken55 Senior MemberPosts: 782 Senior Member
Just got a live call from an NRA phone bank and a recorded message from LaPierre that the UN is closing in on a firearms treaty in cooperation with the BHO regime. LaPierre said the treaty would effectively eliminate 2A. Wanted contribution to help in the fight and the lady was pressing me pretty hard.

I've been hearing about this supposed treaty but thought it was hyped up - anybody know what's really happening?

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I don't think the treaty has come before the Senate yet (they need to ratify all treaties.) Nor has Secretary of State Clinton signed said treaty.

Also, according to Reid vs. Covert, the Constitution supersedes any and all international treaties. The only way to eliminate the Second Amendment is another amendment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reid_v._Covert
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ThatMattGuyThatMattGuy Senior Member Posts: 666 Senior Member
    Obama thinks he supersedes the constitution lol
    The poster formerly known as '69MercCougar
  • ken55ken55 Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    I have a hunch this was a scam call - I get lots of solicitations from the NRA-ILA but I've never gotten a phone call and there is nothing on the NRA website about this. Plus, the woman was too pushy for comfort. Somebody may be targeting NRA members to get credit card numbers.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Yeah, that sounds fishy to me.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    The UN hasn't even worked out a treaty yet.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Obama thinks he supersedes the constitution lol

Ain't that the truth!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    The UN hasn't even worked out a treaty yet.

I don't know where the U.N. is on this as far as working on the actual treaty. But I tell you, don't think they don't want it. They were pushing Clinton to do it and now Obama. I think Obama would have done it already except he knows it's political suicide. And Earl is right. That case he noted, Reid v. Covert set some precedence. It gives authority to the belief that no foreign treaty can over ride our rights under the Constitution. Of course like thatMattguy pointed out, Obama thinks he can supersede the Constitution. Don't laugh too loudly because the way he throws around those executive orders, I think he believes he is king, not president.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    But he would still need Congress to approve funding for the agency that oversees the arms production (no way around that from what I can remember) and the Supreme Court can strike down his actions as an overreaching move that is outside the scope of Presidential powers.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I don't think the treaty has come before the Senate yet (they need to ratify all treaties.) Nor has Secretary of State Clinton signed said treaty.

Also, according to Reid vs. Covert, the Constitution supersedes any and all international treaties. The only way to eliminate the Second Amendment is another amendment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reid_v._Covert

Well put, good stuff indeed.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    I think the NRA and other pro-gun organizations are using this issue to raise money.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I think the NRA and other pro-gun organizations are using this issue to raise money.
    :win:
    Overkill is underrated.
  • blueslide88blueslide88 Member Posts: 273 Member
    The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are the Law of the Land, and cannot be changed by a treaty of any kind, to the best of my knowledge. I'm going to search the NRA for some info, if there is any. NRA would report such events, but to use this for fund-raising would be dishonest, if it is true.
    In any event, I inform ALL solicitors by phone that I NEVER do business by phone, and politely hang up. I would never, ever, give a credit card number to anyone over the phone. I'm a long-time NRA member and supporter, and it has never solicited me by phone.
    Let me see what I can find out.
    The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are the Law of the Land, and cannot be changed by a treaty of any kind, to the best of my knowledge. I'm going to search the NRA for some info, if there is any. NRA would report such events, but to use this for fund-raising would be dishonest, if it is true.
    In any event, I inform ALL solicitors by phone that I NEVER do business by phone, and politely hang up. I would never, ever, give a credit card number to anyone over the phone. I'm a long-time NRA member and supporter, and it has never solicited me by phone.
    Let me see what I can find out.

Yeah, I'm with you, except I'm not very polite when I hang up on them. I don't think this had anything to do with the NRA - more I think about it, sounds like a phone scam. Hard rule with me, too - never buy anything from either phone solicitor or door knocker.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    I don't get these calls. I just get mail trying to get me to upgrade my Life membership.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    I don't get these calls. I just get mail trying to get me to upgrade my Life membership.

I get more mail from the NRA than anywhere else. Gets old.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    ken55 wrote: »
    I get more mail from the NRA than anywhere else. Gets old.

It's the way it it is. I get so much junk mail from everybody it drives me nuts sorting through it for something that is actually important. And there is no way to stop it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    The actual work on the treaty is scheduled for 2012.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I have never received calls from the NRA, but lots of emails and some P.O. mail.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!