Any new gear you tried this past hunting season?

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 10,727 Senior Member
Since hunting seasons are mostly over for the bulk of us, post up any new gear you tried this year, good or bad.

I picked up my first pair of Danner Pronghorns, apparently a newer design for this year, I am replacing a pair of Wolverines the are pretty tore up inside but still solid outside. The Danners wear great right out of the box, I had no break in in them and wore them right to and at the gym on the treadmill getting ready for elk season, was able to keep up with MHS in some pretty warm weather without any blisters, bought a pair for my oldest also and his experience was the same.

I also used muzzleloaders for the first time this year and was very happy with accuracy using Blackhorn 209 powder, Hornandy SST's, Hornady Great Plains lead bullets, and Powerbelts. My oldest took his first deer ever with the muzzleloader this year.

Any new stuff you tried?
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Just that new camo profile
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Cabelas whitetail extreme 1200 boots. Comfy and warm, light. Wear them to work, mostly.
    Also Cabelas, Outfitter Berber Fleece. Awesome. It's every bit as warm as my $$$$ hunting parka, with about half the bulk, and 0 noise.
    Probably the best coat for bow hunting I've ever tried.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Cabelas whitetail extreme 1200 boots. Comfy and warm, light. Wear them to work, mostly.
    Also Cabelas, Outfitter Berber Fleece. Awesome. It's every bit as warm as my $$$$ hunting parka, with about half the bulk, and 0 noise.
    Probably the best coat for bow hunting I've ever tried.

I keep hearing good stuff about this.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    NN wrote: »
    Just that new camo profile

Waterfowl gear?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Waterfowl gear?
    Naw, I was pulling your leg----it was that swamp episode I had and got muddy :rotflmao:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    Naw, I was pulling your leg----it was that swamp episode I had and got muddy :rotflmao:

Ahh, just foul gear:)
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    I have tried couple of new Primos predator calls that proved to be pretty damned effective: The Third Degree and the Coyote Bear Buster .

I bought a set of Danner Pronghorns on clearance (last year's design) and am extremely pleased with the weight and comfort.

Also, I re-tried a tool that I thought sucked the first time, but it turned out to be user error: the Butt-out rectum removal tool. As it turns out, they really do mean to only use a quarter turn before pulling it back out and guess what? It worked like magic when you actually follow the directions.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    Tried? No. Finally used? Yes!

Finally took a deer with the .454 SRH, and also whacked one with the .45Colt suppressed rifle. Both worked flawlessly
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    The only thing I can say that I'm doing different is using the Allen Ammo holders. They slip over the butt of your rifle and hold 9 rounds. That's all the ammo I take with me while hunting. They beauty of it is that I know how many rounds I have with me, and by looking at the holder on the butt of my rifle I know where my ammo is, or rather if I have any ammo in my rifle. It doesn't take the place of safe gun handling but like a mechanical safety it's one more thing I use to help keep things safe.

http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/cartridge-holder.html?ltype=wholesale&SearchText=cartridge+holder&d=y&origin=y&productId=1818263918&initiative_id=QRW_20150121203844&isViewCP=y
    They're convenient and cost about $5.00. I have them on all my hunting rifles now. Also, as I keep them full of ammo, I don't have to worry about leaving the ammo at home when I go hunting.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

Finally took a deer with the .454 SRH........

You go deciding you ever wanna get rid of that gun........you let me know.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    This field rest is absolutely AWESOME!!!!

http://www.lonestarfieldproducts.com/spec-rest/

I took 4 deer using it this year.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    You go deciding you ever wanna get rid of that gun........you let me know.

Only thing is want to do is get another to run sans scope
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    Only thing is want to do is get another to run sans scope

Great idea. I haven't scoped mine, yet. I want to, but like it with irons. Just get a second one!!
    jbohio wrote: »
    Great idea. I haven't scoped mine, yet. I want to, but like it with irons. Just get a second one!!

Do it.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I have tried couple of new Primos predator calls that proved to be pretty damned effective: The Third Degree and the Coyote Bear Buster .

I bought a set of Danner Pronghorns on clearance (last year's design) and am extremely pleased with the weight and comfort.

Also, I re-tried a tool that I thought sucked the first time, but it turned out to be user error: the Butt-out rectum removal tool. As it turns out, they really do mean to only use a quarter turn before pulling it back out and guess what? It worked like magic when you actually follow the directions.

One of my staff got her spouse an electronc caller, no range report yet other that it brought a bunch of crows into range.

Finally took a deer with the .454 SRH, and also whacked one with the .45Colt suppressed rifle. Both worked flawlessly

Did you post the post-mortem? I don't remember seeing it.
    I forgot, I also got a Mr. Heater Buddy for Christmas after I used them in 2 different stands and they were light, easy to light, and put out some nice heat in single digit temps, seemed to run clean so hopefully there is no smell for deer to wind.