New police radars can 'see' inside homes

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,982 Senior Member
Some versions have been around and talked about before. I thunk they should usually need a warrant as the SCOTUS ruled in 2001 unless it is a life and death situation.

Don't kid yersef, this and a lot more is being used by Big Brother in one form or another and we are mostly oblivious to it.

"Those concerns are especially thorny when it comes to technology that lets the police determine what's happening inside someone's home. The Supreme Court ruled in 2001 that the Constitution generally bars police from scanning the outside of a house with a thermal camera unless they have a warrant, and specifically noted that the rule would apply to radar-based systems that were then being developed."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/19/police-radar-see-through-walls/22007615/
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    Anyone know where I can buy some more 'stealth' wallpaper? Done the bedrooms, but the stuff in the bathroom keeps peeling off , probably due to the steam.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Some versions have been around and talked about before. I thunk they should usually need a warrant as the SCOTUS ruled in 2001 unless it is a life and death situation.

Don't kid yersef, this and a lot more is being used by Big Brother in one form or another and we are mostly oblivious to it.

"Those concerns are especially thorny when it comes to technology that lets the police determine what's happening inside someone's home. The Supreme Court ruled in 2001 that the Constitution generally bars police from scanning the outside of a house with a thermal camera unless they have a warrant, and specifically noted that the rule would apply to radar-based systems that were then being developed."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/19/police-radar-see-through-walls/22007615/

We are not allowed (and will not use) our NVGs or handheld FLIR at a residence unless:

1. Hostages barricaded with hostage-taker
    2. Missing & endangered child may be in home
    3. Pre-search warrant sweeps.
    4. Exigent matters (clearly articulated reason)

That's about it.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,260 Senior Member
    "Pre-search warrant sweeps."

Doesn't that include about everything? I mean, why get a search warrant if the Pre-search warrant sweep doesn't turn up anything?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    These machines, seemingly, can only detect people and animals, not see 'things.' If I were a LEO, and asked to clear a burgled building, I'd sure like to know if I could if anyone was still inside. The whole concept of surprise stems from the intent to strike from concealment, and if bad guys are deprived that, wonderful. Could save an officer's or a K-9's life.

I can even see civilian use of such a device. I live alone with my dog, the fetching and demure Juliet. Something goes bump in the night. A home invasion? We're alerted. I grab my weapon and my hand held radar and sweep my rooms before venturing forth. Might save my life. I'd like to see this radar configured to fit on a Picatinny rail on a shotgun or rifle. Along with a tactical light, it could give a homeowner a decisive tactical advantage in a HD situation. If nothing else, it could allow the homeowner, on the phone to the police, to inform them of their suspect's location and avoid an unfortunate accident. it seems pretty regular here that we see posts of homeowners and officers mistakenly shooting each other and their doggies.

How much do they cost?
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    ...How much do they cost?

5425781468_fcd05be89b_z.jpg

onry one dorra!

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    5425781468_fcd05be89b_z.jpg

onry one dorra!

Sold !!!
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy some more 'stealth' wallpaper? Done the bedrooms, but the stuff in the bathroom keeps peeling off , probably due to the steam.........

Just put up some copper screening or copper ringlets.....mess up their thermal imaging. Or keep a half dozen hot women around.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,774 Senior Member

Got an old microwave oven? I've got this circuit diagram...........................:tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Has this equipment been certified as safe in regards to exposing humans to this type of radiation from this device and its working parameters ?
    What are the health risks involved from exposure ? Short term, long term exposure, reproductive harm, potential for birth defects etc...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »

Doesn't that include about everything? I mean, why get a search warrant if the Pre-search warrant sweep doesn't turn up anything?

He means before executing a search warrant that has been issued, they are allowed to sweep the home from outside to determine what potential threats may be inside.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    Since the hat made me look fat, I wrapped my house in tinfoil before I hung the drywall. Cell phone reception sucks, but now they can't read my thoughts!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    This device needs testing and approval, type approval, since it is designed specifically for use on detecting people in various structures certified for dwelling or habitation by humans, and since humans are its intended target for exposure to radiation.

By the F.C.C. for type approval for radar devices and or the F.D.A. for radiation devices specifically designed for use on humans, or both...

"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    pjames777 wrote: »
    Just put up some copper screening or copper ringlets.....mess up their thermal imaging. Or keep a half dozen hot women around.....

Already got the hot women................temp in the orchidhouses climbs off the scale on the thermometer daily at the moment........my staff keep running away from their workstations when the overhead sprinkler kicks in and they stand next to a sprinkler head for a couple of minutes to cool off.

Trying to figure out where to get some Police with non regulation haircuts for the copper ringlets...................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Thermal imagers are defeated by plain old glass.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »

If you take it out of context.

Like we HAVE a search warrant and we use it to peer inside before execution of the warrant.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member

Yankovic has you covered (good, but even better from about the 1:30 mark) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk :rotflmao:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,260 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    If you take it out of context.

Like we HAVE a search warrant and we use it to peer inside before execution of the warrant.

My bad
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,774 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Yankovic has you covered (good, but even better from about the 1:30 mark) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk :rotflmao:

:spittingcoffee: Weird Al got the skinny on that, for sure! :up:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

Ground penetrating radar was first used in 1929! I'm amazed at the portability of the hand held unit. It does not provide usable images of the inside of a structure. It only detects movement. That is still very valuable information knowing if a building is occupied. I'm sure it will get better and better.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member

Dude... that ain't the steam making the wallpaper peel off the wall. :roll2: :tooth:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug