My newly completed 6.5 Swede 98 Mauser

calebibcalebib Senior MemberPosts: 1,701 Senior Member
This has been a long term project of mine that I finally wrapped up today. It started life as a 1937 JP Sauer Mauser 98 built in 1937. I rebarreled it in 6.5 Swede after truing up the action a bit, lapping the lugs and the bolt ways. It now sports a modified Boyd's stock. I recontoured the entire thing; Bavarian style cheekpiece, stippled grip surfaces, dark walnut stain, glass bedded. It's been fitted with Williams sights and a Bold trigger. I can't wait to shoot it!

HsN03a1.jpg
htUYckb.jpg
Tuc2Krf.jpg

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Gorgeous rifle. You need to get an elk in front of it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with it. I just hope it shoots as good as it looks.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,588 Senior Member
    WOW its one beautiful rifle. :worthy:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    VERY NICE! Nothing not to like about it, it's a Mauser!!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,963 Senior Member
    Very nice...great departure from paint and plastic...I like it...a lot...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I failed to mention, it's got a brown Pachmayr recoil pad and I had the barrel engraved "Six Five Swede".
    And an extended, teardrop bolt knob.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,732 Senior Member
    One Sweet rifle! You are talented!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Oh wow! :love:
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Dang.

Thats the prettiest rifle I've seen in awhile.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,940 Senior Member
    Beautiful
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Damn nice work! Beautiful rifle.
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,797 Senior Member
    me like a lot!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I was going to mention the pad, I always liked the Old English.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,738 Senior Member
    Nicely done Caleb :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Big Al1 wrote: »
    I was going to mention the pad, I always liked the Old English.

I do think it's the appropriate style for this type of rifle. You get the look of the true Old English pads but a whole lot softer! When new, those things are rather hard. Vintage ones feel like they're made of oak.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,153 Senior Member
    Nice! A great caliber, too.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,381 Senior Member
    Good looking rifle, like the wood.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,427 Senior Member
    Very nice, I really like the color of the stock.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Very nice job you did.

I love the 6.5 Swede caliber. Mine are Carl Gustav circa 1900 and 1906 M-96s. One original and one with the bolt handle turned down/D&T fer a scope currently wearing MoJo peep sights.

Looking forward to a range report from you.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,507 Senior Member
    Beautiful. Love it. It's good to see you building guns again.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,275 Senior Member
    As usual, SUPERB work, Caleb. You need to get blood on that thing ASAP.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,256 Senior Member
    Absolutely gorgeous. A battue type rear sight would have complimented the package nicely.

Sako
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    Wow, I think I am in love again...............:love: :drool2:

Hurry up with the range report........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 823 Senior Member
    Calebib, That looks really really good.
    Bet it shoots very well
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    sakodude wrote: »
    Absolutely gorgeous. A battue type rear sight would have complimented the package nicely.

Sako
    Ive got an English commercial Mauser action Im going to build in .30-06 and a battue sight might be just the ticket for it. One of the inspirations for this gun is an informal competition I have with my dad and younger brother. We set a old flower pot out at around 500 yards and the first to break it wins. The catch is no rests and no optics but we do spot for each other.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,256 Senior Member
    calebib wrote: »
    Ive got an English commercial Mauser action Im going to build in .30-06 and a battue sight might be just the ticket for it. One of the inspirations for this gun is an informal competition I have with my dad and younger brother. We set a old flower pot out at around 500 yards and the first to break it wins. The catch is no rests and no optics but we do spot for each other.

Look forward to seeing that one when completed as well. I have lusted for a Sako battue model for years. They pop up now and then but unfortunatly well beyond my price point.

Sako
    I need to source a rear sight like they use. I think I will email a fellow smith in Norway and see if he can score me one.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    Very nice. 6.5 Swede is one of only two centerfire bolt gun calibers that interest me. The other is the .35 Whelen.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    calebib wrote: »

I never heard of a Battue sight, so after a little research: Brownells has a Sako front sight, and from looking at the rear sight, maybe you could use rear sight rib from a #1 and fab an express sight for it!!