Going to try a Rock Island.....

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,231 Senior Member
A lot of guys here talking up the Rock Island 1911's so I decided I am going to give one a shot. I am on a 1911 kick and have been wanting one in 9mm. This one looks nice, looks to have some great features and was just down right cheap for a brand new gun. I hope I won't be disappointed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465990811

51623.jpg

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,732 Senior Member
    Can't go wrong with a 1911, of any flavor!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Congrats on your acquisition :guns::guns:

Range report when you can.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    I was hoping you were going to say .22 TCM. Something about that gun intrigues me. I don't yet have a 1911. But when I do, it might very well be in 9mm.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    I was hoping you were going to say .22 TCM. Something about that gun intrigues me. I don't yet have a 1911. But when I do, it might very well be in 9mm.

I took a gander at those, but just don't care for the looks of that gun. The cartridge intrigues me, but they need to doll it up a bit first.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    Excellent choice! IMO 9mm 1911's are vastly underrated, I'm glad to see them gaining popularity.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    I took a gander at those, but just don't care for the looks of that gun. The cartridge intrigues me, but they need to doll it up a bit first.

It would not surprise me if they come out with a barrel swap for that 9mm to go .22TCM in the future to try and keep the little cartridge growing.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    I'd be tempted to get one of those, ream the barrel from 9mm to .38 Super, and swap mags for .38 Super. From what I understand, that's what it takes to change it from 9mm to .38 Super.

Ooooooooooooooooooor..... fit a .38 Super barrel, get .38 Super mags, and have a convertible 9mm to .38 Super.

Nice score.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Excellent choice! IMO 9mm 1911's are vastly underrated, I'm glad to see them gaining popularity.

And under chambered in caliber :tooth:

Actually, they are kinda fun to shoot like yours. I kept expecting a recoil impulse like a .45, but it doesn't come. Folks in general should be able to control and shoot them better than a .45 theoretically, I reckon.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,507 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    It would not surprise me if they come out with a barrel swap for that 9mm to go .22TCM in the future to try and keep the little cartridge growing.

They do............. they even have a combo package

pix165724792.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I'd be tempted to get one of those, ream the barrel from 9mm to .38 Super, and swap mags for .38 Super. From what I understand, that's what it takes to change it from 9mm to .38 Super.

Ooooooooooooooooooor..... fit a .38 Super barrel, get .38 Super mags, and have a convertible 9mm to .38 Super.

Nice score.

You going MAJOR huh? Not a bad idy at all come to think of it with the versatility to shoot less expensive and usually available 9mm and .38 Super from the same gun. Cheaper than the good .22 conversion kits they used to make too. Having all three would be cool.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,507 Senior Member

Nice score.

They make a GI in .38 Super, don't know why they wouldn't have one in the other lines???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,833 Senior Member
    A lot of guys here talking up the Rock Island 1911's so I decided I am going to give one a shot. I am on a 1911 kick and have been wanting one in 9mm. This one looks nice, looks to have some great features and was just down right cheap for a brand new gun. I hope I won't be disappointed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465990811

51623.jpg
    Well I hope they don't arrest you. I mean for stealing the damn thing,

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

That sure is cheap for a 1911 for this day and time. I think they're made in the Philippines. If their QC is as good as I've heard you shouldn't have any problems and I bet it will shoot good. So the usual is in order here, Congrats, you suck and all that jazz.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,971 Senior Member

Nice score.

Uhhhhh...maybe I'm not getting it...but why not just buy one in .38 Super?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    You won't be disappointed...I have several Philippine-made 1911s...not a lemon in the bunch...
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Uhhhhh...maybe I'm not getting it...but why not just buy one in .38 Super?
    They only make the .38 Super in GI configuration. That means for me I'd need new sights, hammer, and a beavertail grip safety. That's why I'd just be tempted to have the barrel rechambered and get new mags.
    Overkill is underrated.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    They do............. they even have a combo package

pix165724792.jpg

I think that is the double stack TCM that has the 9mm barrel conversion. I mean they'll come out with a TCM that can drop it the single stack 9mm which shouldn't be hard.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    They only make the .38 Super in GI configuration. That means for me I'd need new sights, hammer, and a beavertail grip safety. That's why I'd just be tempted to have the barrel rechambered and get new mags.

I would think that the barrel reaming, etc, etc, etc would pretty much even out with buying the parts....
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I would think that the barrel reaming, etc, etc, etc would pretty much even out with buying the parts....
    Maybe, have to give it a look.
    Overkill is underrated.

Somehow I think my $429 price just went out the door :jester:
    NCFUBAR wrote: »

Hope your right, that would be the way to go, just a drop in barrel and run.
    The single stack combos say pre-order so they will have a barrel conversion before to long ... even better pickup!
    - George Orwell
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,744 Senior Member
    Hope your right, that would be the way to go, just a drop in barrel and recoil spring and run.
    FIFY :tooth:

My 10mm is a RIA and I have been thoroughly pleased with it after changing the grips and removing the mag funnel (sold them). I find those VZ grips TOO aggressive for my tastes.

Mine's accurate, reliable and has a great trigger & sights
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    If you buy a 9mm, and ream out the barrel to .38 super, you can't use 9mm in it, because they headspace on the case rim and the 9mm will fall too far into the chamber. You'd need to have two barrels. So, why would you ream out a barrel? RIA makes .38 Supers, so you should be able to get a .38 Super barrel and skip the gunsmithing, with the exception of any fitting that needed to be done. I'm sure you knew that, but the post didn't indicate it.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    Get a Range Officer whatever the price difference.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,839 Senior Member
    CDNN had the 9mm Rock Island for $399 not that long ago, kicking myself for not grabbing one then.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm really liking RIAs lineup! I think my next 1911 will be one of their 10mm guns.

Whoa there Hoss................you sure gotta funny way of thinning the herd :tooth:

Reverse psychology........can't see the forest fer the trees? :roll2::roll2:
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    I wouldn't mind if one of their 10mm's showed up in my safe.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    knitepoet wrote: »
    FIFY :tooth:

My 10mm is a RIA and I have been thoroughly pleased with it after changing the grips and removing the mag funnel (sold them). I find those VZ grips TOO aggressive for my tastes.

Mine's accurate, reliable and has a great trigger & sights

Those grips do look a little aggressive but may not be bad for a 9mm. I remember you saying you really like yours, you are one of the enablers that made this happen! :beer:
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    CDNN had the 9mm Rock Island for $399 not that long ago, kicking myself for not grabbing one then.

You can still get a bare bones RIA 9mm for under $400.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465417442