Home Main Category Hunting

How far do "your" deer run?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 20,979 Senior Member
Last night's tracking adventure here has me wondering what's "normal" when it comes to how far you have to track a well hit deer you've shot with a rifle.

I know there are too many variables involved for a direct animal to animal comparison, but I'm just looking for a general idea "If I make a good hit on a deer with my rifle, I normally find them on the ground within _____ of where I shot them" kind of thing

My experience has been they normally run out of oxygen and or blood and are on the ground within 50-60 yards from where they were standing when shot. I've had more fall WELL inside that, to even DRT, than I have had ones like last night's that run 4x that far.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happened last night :uhm:

SO, on a "good hit" to the chest, with your preferred rifle, how far do your deer normally go before piling up?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Of the 50-something deer I've taken from my property with several rifles, the vast majority of them traveled less than 30 yards after a boiler room hit. Most were bang/flop kills. A rifle/load combo that launches bullets at 3K+ FPS seems to work best for a no-tracking kill, no matter what the bore size or bullet weight happens to be, as long as there's enough integrity of the bullet jacket to assure a pass-through hit.
    Jerry
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I've tried to think about this before answering. My first deer was with a 12 ga. At 25 paces it knocked him down but he got up and ran a little ways.other than that I'm trying to remember one that went any where at all. Except heart shots. They always run like crazy for 30 yards or so. I prefer a thin skinned bullet pushed fast for the grenade effect on boiler room hits. I still can't remember ever having to track one hit with a high powered rifle. If I think of one I'll post about it.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Typically, with a firearm and a straight, well-placed, double lung hit results in a 40-60 yard run. Like we have discussed, this is a summary that doesn't perfectly reflect the DRT shots and other in-betweens that happen.

With archery tackle, the average dash I see is about 100 - 120 yards, though this season, the exception to the rule has been the rule in this regard. Only the one (probably the best hit deer) that I scored with a crossbow went that 120 yard max typical distance. The other two arrow-struck deer killed with a standard compound bow went 60 yards and all but nowhere, respectively.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,979 Senior Member
    Six, that's similar to my "normal" experience.
    That was the reason for this thread, seeing if my previous experience was pretty much the norm, or if I'd just been lucky.. a LOT.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

That's quite the track record RB :worthy:

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    With a good frangible bullet I expect them to be DRT. With my .270 and my old 6mm Remington what weren't DRT kills ran at most 10-20 yards. I've had some run as far as 60 yards but found them pretty easy. One evening back in the late 80s I killed two does that were trotting along at almost 400 yards with that 6mm with a 100 grain Sierra Game king at about 3100 FPS out of the Muzzle. I hit one of them right behind the shoulder and one low in the shoulder that almost took the leg off, but went in and destroyed the heart and lungs. It went inside and PUFF blew some of the innards out the other side. I call that Good Bullet Performance. I just love it when that happens.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,484 Senior Member
    DRT to 50 yds if shot properly.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,200 Senior Member
    All three of them that I've witnessed?

First one - maybe 100-115 pounds on the hoof. He was calmly walking along and I gave him a broadside shot through the back of the heart at 140 yards when he paused in his step. He made it a staggering five yards on fairly level ground.

Second one - about 20 pounds heavier than the first. He was bedded down against a cold sleety morning when I spotted him. We stared at each other for a couple minutes in the dim light, both trying to figure out exactly what the other was, and he had just stood up to boogie when I fired. Quartering shot from his 4:00 just behind the ribs, exiting behind his left shoulder from 70 yards. Missed the heart, but wiped out a lot of lung. About ten yards slightly uphill for him.

Both with a 168 grain Barnes TTSX from a .30-06.

Third one - My dad's deer from last fall - slightly lighter than my second deer. Starting a run up a rocky, 30 degree slope at about 50 yards distance. From what I was observing, I can only guess that he would have staggered about ten yards from where he got nailed by a 405 grain flat nosed .45-70 . . .except that my dad misinterpreted the deer's reaction as a gut shot and so hammered him again. That resulted in DRT. The shots entered from opposite sides of the body within about three inches of each other, one of them hitting the heart, the other slightly behind. Which shot was which wasn't possible to interpret in the autopsy, but after watching the reactions of my two deer, I tend to think the first one was the heart shot and the second merely pushed him to the ground a few seconds before he would have folded anyway. Rough, steep ground on that one, so he couldn't really have bolted very well even if he had been able.

All these wound channels were probably about .50 cent piece to silver dollar diameter - maybe a little bigger on my second deer since it had more time on the diagonal to open up and do its thing. All had a deer down in what I would guess to be ten seconds or less. One totally unaware; one aware, but probably cold and stiff; one startled but probably not up to full RPMs when shot.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,328 Senior Member
    Depends on the deer, but on average, under 30 yards, or about 2 bounds.

I have had some DRT on a double lung, I have had a 8 pt that I separated the heart from the plumbing with both lungs damaged go about 60 after taking a bound then standing for a second or two. The last Fl doe I got went about a hundred with a double lung though the last 40 was likely almost falling down the hill.

And that is with any rifle that that has been used out of my house. 30-06, 243, 25-06, 50 and 54 caliber roundball and 30-30 all drop them about the same with decent shot placement and thin skinned med game bullets.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    So by and large my normal seems to be fairly normal for most of us.

Thanks guys :beer:

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,943 Senior Member
    Most of the deer with a lung/heart shot I would guess anywhere between 25 & 50yds, though I never measured it. I did shoot one with a .270 that ran into the next county, my buddy also a .270 shooter said to wait and sho nuf that deer came right back and dropped dead right in front of me.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Most of the deer with a lung/heart shot I would guess anywhere between 25 & 50yds, though I never measured it. I did shoot one with a .270 that ran into the next county, my buddy also a .270 shooter said to wait and sho nuf that deer came right back and dropped dead right in front of me.

JAY

That's a secret weapon with a .270. They have a homing device in the bullet that in case the deer does run it directs him back to the point of impact.

:rotflmao:....................:rotflmao:....................:rotflmao:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,866 Senior Member
    The deer I've taken with the .300 W.M./165 gr. SST combo have all gone down in their tracks at ranges from 100 to near 400 yards. Same story with the .308/165 gr. SST combo...

I've had different results with the 6.8 SPC/110 BTHP combo....most have been DRT. The furthest I've had to track was about 30 yards on a quartering shot...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,943 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    That's a secret weapon with a .270. They have a homing device in the bullet that in case the deer does run it directs him back to the point of impact.

:rotflmao:....................:rotflmao:....................:rotflmao:

Snake , how many times do I have to tell you, that's not for public release.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    When I was a kid using 45 round balls I had a few go a few hundred yards when I spooked them in my excitement. If not spooked they will run to first cover and usually bleed out. My stand is in front of a ravine crossing so now I get clean through the spine/heart shots and they are always DRT.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,073 Senior Member
    My last two seasons have been mostly headshot, so those were all bang/flop.

For chest/ heart shots- its been anywhere from 10-100 yards. Most in the 50 yard range
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,667 Senior Member
    10 feet
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,068 Senior Member
    Furthest was about 50yds, (Quartering to the rear body shot on a doe during a cull)...........because I prefer neck/headshots nearly all the others have dropped on the spot. Shot a doe last year in the shoulder with the 7mm08..........it managed to disappear over a rise in the ground but found it on the other side.....about 30yds away.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    My last ones have been 2 or 3 strides except for one I drilled and she dropped where she stood.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Snake , how many times do I have to tell you, that's not for public release.

JAY

Damn Jay I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me. Now these guys will be putting them in their 7mm-08 bullets and.... well..... there goes the neighborhood,
    :yikes:........................:fan:.........................:rotflmao:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,739 Senior Member
    Without a hit to the central nervous system, a deer has to experience enough hydrostatic shock to disrupt the system and "knock it unconscious" to succumb to it's wounds in unconsciousness, struggle to regain it's feet and die, or regain it's feet and run a short ways before dying.

Of the 7 "deer" I shot this season:

4 Dropped at the Shot (1 CNS Hit / 3 Hydrostatic Shock)
    1 Ran 25-30 yards
    1 Ran 40ish yards
    1 Ran 60ish yards

of the 9 Pigs I shot this season:

5 Dropped at the Shot (3 CNS / 2 Hydrostatic Shock)
    4 Ran less than 50 yards
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    The deer I've taken with the .300 W.M./165 gr. SST combo have all gone down in their tracks at ranges from 100 to near 400 yards. Same story with the .308/165 gr. SST combo...

I've had different results with the 6.8 SPC/110 BTHP combo....most have been DRT. The furthest I've had to track was about 30 yards on a quartering shot...

You and Deadeye Deaton. He loads his 300 Win Mag with those 165 grainers and kills deer out into the next Zip Code. I've been thinking about getting me some for my .300 WBY.
    The only stupid shot I made this season was when I shot that last Doe around Thanks Giving. I shot it in the ass with my .257 AI. The bullet never penetrated into the vitals but hit the ham bone and clipped a major artery. She bled to death. We found her in the same mott of trees she ran into when I shot her about 30-40 yards farther into it where she almost ran out of it on the north end. I was sitting about 40 yards to the south of the south end of the mott. That's where the deer ran into it. My wife found her in some real thick stuff about two yards from daylight on the north end.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Very seldom will my kills make it past their immediate shadow.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,792 Senior Member
    From DRT to 40 yards, so far. The DRT was a 9 pt. whitetail, from 50 yards (broadside) with 165 grain Nosler BT (.30-06). Same bullet for the others, in almost exactly the same location, but in a 90 to 120 yard range.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    For me, with mule deer it's from 0 to 30 yds. Concerning elk, usually from 0 to 100 yds. That's with a 30.06 using 165 gr. Barnes TTSX or Hornady GMX 165's. Shots usually under 300 yds. The only problems I've ever had with either of those bullets is recovering one, complete pass-throughs .
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,888 Senior Member
    As a kid, I shot two deer with a .30-30 Win. One was a very good hit (saw the bullet pucker and the deer dropped like a rock), one seemed good but maybe it wasn't. Both ran far enough (even the one that dropped like a rock at the shot) that neither were ever retrieved.

I switched to a .308 Win, and normal was "DRT" to "less than 200 yards". In the jungles of Louisiana, 200 yards isn't good. At all.

I switched to the .270 Win stuffed with 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and started shooting them a little farther back and a little higher up than is considered perfect. I don't know the exact number of whitetail I've shot with this combo and placement, but it's at least 30, and probably a handful more. One ran about 40 yards, the other possibly 60. The rest died within their own shadow.

In a nutshell, my experience closely mimics Razorbackers.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Thanks for the input guys :beer:
    From the looks of things my "normal" DRT to 50 yards is pretty much the norm for most of you as well.

I guess an abnormality like my 200 yard tracking job is just one of those things that's going to happen from time to time, even with a solid "boiler room" hit and decent bullet performance.

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Do you remember what you shot each with?

Yes.
    Zee wrote: »
    Without a hit to the central nervous system, a deer has to experience enough hydrostatic shock to disrupt the system and "knock it unconscious" to succumb to it's wounds in unconsciousness, struggle to regain it's feet and die, or regain it's feet and run a short ways before dying.

Of the 7 "deer" I shot this season:

4 Dropped at the Shot (1 CNS Hit / 3 Hydrostatic Shock)
    .460 S&W (250gr XTP) x2 / .44 Mag (240gr XTP) / 6.5-284 Win (140gr A-Max)
    1 Ran 25-30 yards
    .30-30 AI (125gr SST)
    1 Ran 40ish yards
    .454 Casull (300gr WFN-GC)
    1 Ran 60ish yards
    7mm Rem Mag (162gr A-Max)

of the 9 Pigs I shot this season:

6 Dropped at the Shot (3 CNS / 2 Hydrostatic Shock)
    6x45 (85gr HPBT-GK) x3 / .308 Win (125gr SST) x2) / .223 Remington (64gr GD)
    4 Ran less than 50 yards
    6x45 (85gr HPBT-GK) / .308 Win (125gr SST) / .223 Remington (64gr GD) x2

Added cartridge / bullet