Redfield bases

hawk18hawk18 Senior MemberPosts: 735 Senior Member
I just bought an older, Leupold VX-2, 2-7x33 from a guy whose father had passed. I paid a fair value for the scope, in excellent condition,and, it came with an older Redfield base and set of rings. The base is one piece with windage adjustment in the rear. (like modern Leupolds)

My question is, how do I go about finding out which action the base fits? The guy didn't know which rifle the base had been on and there is no one to ask. I can't find any numbers on the base other than the patent number.

Hawk

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    hawk18 wrote: »
    I just bought an older, Leupold VX-2, 2-7x33 from a guy whose father had passed. I paid a fair value for the scope, in excellent condition,and, it came with an older Redfield base and set of rings. The base is one piece with windage adjustment in the rear. (like modern Leupolds)

My question is, how do I go about finding out which action the base fits? The guy didn't know which rifle the base had been on and there is no one to ask. I can't find any numbers on the base other than the patent number.

Hawk
    Does the guy you got it from have a clue what guns his dad had?
    See if he knows and then you can go to a LGS and see if they can figure it out. There should be some number on it.

I have a bunch of those bases and rings. I've heard all the horror stories about the windage screws getting loose and it getting off zero, but I've never had an issue with mine, but I tighten hell out of them and use Blue Loctite thread locker.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    hawk18 wrote: »

Hawk

If you have a short action Rem 700 I will mail you the same base I took off my old 700 BDL.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    There is a number and/or letters on the base, tell me what they are and I'll tell you what It fits.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,161 Senior Member
    I assume there is no numbers stampted on the base?
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    41magnut wrote: »
    I assume there is no numbers stampted on the base?

All my Redfield bases have FN, 70, 700 etc. stamped on the bottom or side.

JAY
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 735 Senior Member
    Sorry to be so slow to get back to you all.

No, there is no one to ask about the rifle it came off. And, no, there are NO numbers anywhere on the base.

I went to a gun show this morning and talked to an "expert" there. Actually, he is very knowledgable and I've known him for years. He dated it as a "newer" model and I told him that my 70's versions had a different stamp. He then explained that "newer" meant 50's vintage. He had an identical base from the 30's that he took off an 03. It was his opinion that it would fit almost any rifle out there. I'm skeptical. I'll try to post some pictures

Hawk
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 735 Senior Member

Here are some pictures with some measurements. I forgot to measure the front and rear thichness. The front is a little thicker than the rear.

Hawk
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,420 Senior Member
    03's and 03A3's use a little different 1-piece base. The A3 had a peep sight dovetail on the rear bridge which changed the height slightly. On both rifles the rear is higher that the receiver ring because the bolt safety lug has to pass through it. Large ring Mauser mounts have a taller lug at the rear to make up the height difference front to rear from the larger-diameter receiver ring.
    Jerry

Edit: Just saw the pics- - - -if the underside of the rear is flat, you've got an 03-A3 mount. If it's slightly curved, it's probably an original 03.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Hawk, trying to jog my memory , as I recall the 0-3 base has 2 holes in the back , the 03-A3 only one hole and a notch on the underside forward of the rear hole.

JAY
    Hawk that base is identical to my 03-A3 base.

JAY