Go away! An unwanted intrusion? Real incident today

124»

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Maybe he just wanted to give you a hug.

That was already suggested. Question is, what sort of a hug had he in mind?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    That was already suggested. Question is, what sort of a hug had he in mind?

Full body with rubbing.
    Dr. db wrote: »
    Full body with rubbing.

Thanks. Now I'll dream about that. Thanks.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,197 Senior Member
    I'm late to this thread, but sounds good to me.

His slow ambling could just be a ruse to get close enough and pounce. You did well.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I'm late to this thread, but sounds good to me.

His slow ambling could just be a ruse to get close enough and pounce. You did well.

He was skinny but well over 6ft and young, like 30, and I am simply not able to defend myself hand to hand from attack. If within reach I'm done, because he can then do anything he wants to me. I didn't eagerly or glibly display my gun but that's why I carry it in the first place -- protection. Won't protect me too much if it's still in my hip pocket.

Someone younger and more able than I am (I have severe degenerative arthritis and don't have much strength any more, and I use a walker mostly) could take the risk for hand to hand defense but I cannot.

I think I told the guy to "Go away" 3 times before I pulled the little snubby and showed it to him. He then swiveled and went away.

I'm no hero. I just wanted to not get mugged or stabbed or other stuff, just wanted to be let alone.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,197 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    He was skinny but well over 6ft and young, like 30, and I am simply not able to defend myself hand to hand from attack. If within reach I'm done, because he can then do anything he wants to me. I didn't eagerly or glibly display my gun but that's why I carry it in the first place -- protection. Won't protect me too much if it's still in my hip pocket.

Someone younger and more able than I am (I have severe degenerative arthritis and don't have much strength any more, and I use a walker mostly) could take the risk for hand to hand defense but I cannot.

I think I told the guy to "Go away" 3 times before I pulled the little snubby and showed it to him. He then swiveled and went away.

I'm no hero. I just wanted to not get mugged or stabbed or other stuff, just wanted to be let alone.

Protecting yourself is paramount and a decidedly birth-given right. And protected by the Constitution.

He was faking his ailments to get close...maybe to panhandle...or maybe to shove you on the ground and take your car, money...LIFE.

You did fine.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    A lot of shabby scruffy types have shanked and killed people because they were allowed to get way too close ! I for one am not going to let anyone get that close ! Close enough to kiss, is way too close for Me !
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Thanks Jason, Doc, and others.

I didn't post this to brag about how brave I am, nor that I did some sort of fancy SD action.

All I did was find this guy coming toward me and he refused to go away, until I showed him my revolver.

I posted this so that it could serve as a talking platform so that we could all discuss the situation and work on ways that we could react more smartly if such a similar thing occurs to another person here.

For example it was recommended that I shoulda stayed in my car w. the door locked, and of course maybe my gun in hand, and then called the cops.

This was likely the better solution to my having gotten out of the car, and due to my severe arthritis, not having mobility and therefore then needing to display my weapon to get the guy to leave. Whereas, staying in my car would have not required my display of firearm unless of course the guy tried to bust into the car or show a weapon himself.

Also understand that at no time did he show a weapon, knife or whatever. He just kept coming. If he'd shown maybe a knife and was as close to me as happened, I may have then feared for my life and done otherwise.

Recommendations that I should have maybe stayed in the car, and even maybe just backed out and driven away nearby, either case calling 911? Good suggestions.

Recommendations that I wait till he was closer and in arm's reach? Not a good idea. Once he can lay hands on me, I'm done for, because he can do anything he wants to me, he being a physically fit young guy over 6ft, and me being severely hampered. This would be equivalent to a normal size man being confronted by some 6-6, 240 lb muscle guy. Toast.

This has been a lively thread, as it should be. Some sarcasm, true. But plenty of good discussion, too.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,824 Senior Member
    Sam, just last night there was a piece on our local news. A man thought to be homeless, approached another guy who was pumping gas and asked for a dollar. His reply was something like sorry, I am using my last 5 bucks now. The homeless guys reply was to smack him in the head with a rock. The entire thing was caught on camera. You may have saved yourself from the same thing. You did ok in my book.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5