XS Sights Ruger Gunsite Scout rail/peep sight.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,102 Senior Member
My Gunsite Scout got back-burnered a bit due to my Remington 700 .280Rem and my AR15 SPR projects going on. Then my rekindled reloading adventure with the Lyman T-MAG, yada yada yada. I got back out to the range this afternoon with my SPR to try the new Geissele SSA trigger I installed and it is superb, by the way.

I took my Gunsite Scout on a whim, thinking I would shoot it if I didn't run out of daylight. I am sure glad I didn't run out of sunlight. I had purchased and installed a XS Sights full length rail for the Scout rifle so my scope mounting options were not limited.

It has a rear peep sight that is adjustable for windage and elevation. I thought it would be a backup sight at best, but XS Sights had this rifle very much in mind when they designed this rail!

20150222_2101512.jpg

You can see the windage adjustment screw and the peep sight in the photos here. Windage screws are located on both sides. Loosening only one windage screw is required to allow the peep sight to be screwed up or down. Note the fine threads. Each half turn was about 1/2" at 100 yards, give or take; very useful.

20150222_2100542.jpg

20150222_2101052.jpg

I am no aficionado of open sight shooting. Honestly I don't do it very often--not as often as I should. But printing a 2" 3-shot group at 100 yards put a grin on my face. I'll tighten it up a bit more with some additional trigger time.

20150222_18211022.jpg

I was using some 15 year old Winchester Super-X 150gr SP's. I will be attempting to reload a similar round. It chronographed at 2600 fps from the Scout's 16.5" barrel. That'll do!

And the brand-less 180gr SP IMI ammo that did this scoped...

20140418_15391_edit_1424659581832.jpg

...I will be disassembling a round to try and determine a similar American powder&bullet to start a load development with.

I can't sing the praises of this rifle enough. Truly a great all-around gun.

Playing around with my phone picture editor...

20150222_1831272.jpg
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Very nice. I've resisted the urge to get one due to price. But, I want one.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Very nice. I've resisted the urge to get one due to price. But, I want one.

Look for one used. One was on Gunbroker a while back for around $600. There is a stainless 18" model, too. But I'm partial to this one.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    It one of those rifles that fit the thread awhile back. I want it, but not bad enough to pay for it.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    It one of those rifles that fit the thread awhile back. I want it, but not bad enough to pay for it.

I hear ya. Couple like that on my list right now. I ended up trading a Remington 700 .22-250 and $400 for mine. $700 total value. But the .22-250 was sacrificial by comparison.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Glad you re-discovered the peep sight----they are a natural sight for the eye and accurate as you found.

Nice shooting, try it off hand; it will work well that way, too.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I really wish someone made one of those for the Mossberg MVP. That would make a neat, affordable little Scout Lite.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    I really wish someone made one of those for the Mossberg MVP. That would make a neat, affordable little Scout Lite.

This. Mossberg almost knocked it out of the park, instead they settled for a double.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I have one on my Marlin 1895 but my complaint is you cannot mount a normal scope with quick release mounts because the peep gets in the way of the bell. If you use a long eye relief scope you are good to go.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Anyone ever use MoJo sights?

Some are on one of my M-96 Swedish Mausers, but they make them for different guns too.

http://www.mojosights.com/

Nice shootin Jason and it looks like Ruger has a winner in their Scout Rifle albeit the $$$$ seems high.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I have been making my own for years. I take a piece of threaded rod, hammer one end flat and dress to M1a aperature specs but you can choose whatever you want. I just drill and tap a hole for it and use a jambnut and sheetmetal shroud to finish it out. Another thing I have done is drill and tap the back of the rail and make an aperature blade to screw to the back of the rail wich will usually clear a scope.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    HvyMax wrote: »
    I have been making my own for years. I take a piece of threaded rod, hammer one end flat and dress to M1a aperature specs but you can choose whatever you want. I just drill and tap a hole for it and use a jambnut and sheetmetal shroud to finish it out. Another thing I have done is drill and tap the back of the rail and make an aperature blade to screw to the back of the rail wich will usually clear a scope.

Thread size?
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Thread size?

Whatever is easier to work with. I usually go 10-32 but #8 of even 1/4" would work. I think I use #6 when tapping the back of the rail for a blade.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct