North Amarican Arms

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,491 Senior Member
As I said in the past I've been helping a friend after a devours by cleaning some of his guns. Just when I thought I was done I found another pistol case with 3 Glocks two Smiths and a North American Arms Guardian in 32 ACP. The Guardian appears to be a well made piece. I've never seen one nor read anthing about them. I'm also not familiar with the caliber. I was thinking the would be a nice little pd pistol. What can you tell about this pistol and caliber?
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,940 Senior Member
    About as good as a .22lr
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Super handy little popgun. Fine for squeamish opponents but that's about it.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,753 Senior Member
    two Smiths.....what and what
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Let me bust 8 Win Silvertips (or Ball/HP/Ball/HP) on you from my Walther PP in .32 ACP and tell me it is inadequate or a pipsqueak. Not the best choice, but a whole lot better than no gun and I think it would be more effective than a .22 or .25

It is not my go to SD/HD pistol, but I don't feel inadequately armed when I have it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,319 Senior Member
    I'm with BC - I have a Beretta Tomacat, also in .32ACP. I don't want to be shot with one...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    More stats on this links site. I'm not saying it will or should replace a larger caliber, but think smaller calibers can be more useful than some think. Of course, there are more variables than the article encompasses and many things were not considered. Like barrier/clothing penetration and the like.

And no I don't wanna see cops armed with .410 Snake Charmers instead of REM 870s............. just sayin or .32 ACPs take the place of 9mm/.40 S&W or .45s

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

[IMG][/img]Ellifritz_Incapacitation_zps069eb357.png
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Freezer, they were well made and I thunk they even had a Proprietary .32 cartridge for them as well?????

Tell him he should give it to you fer cleaning the lead from all the others!
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,491 Senior Member
    I just finished stripping and cleaning this piece. Simple reliable design. It hasn't been shot much. The size and weight would make it a great summer weather gun as it's easy to concel. I have a PA 63 and it not bad but still requires a loose shirt or jacket. This can fit in your pocket. I just might have to keep this one. I was also looking at a S&W 36 that hasn't seen much use or abuse. There are so many guns in this collection to look at and choose from. This guy owes my son and me big time!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I'm not familiar with the NAA .32, but Rimfire has (or had) one of their mini .22 revolvers and it was a very well made piece of kit.

And I also agree with the Chief: a hit with a .32ACP will definitely ruin your day and make you think twice about your course of action.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Super handy little popgun. Fine for squeamish opponents but that's about it.

So only good fer midgets and bad little petite criminals?

I hate to ask, but what do youi see as a minimum HvyMax?
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Funny you mention that caliber, I have been eye balling this auction....... but too high for me. (box and paper work fake)

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13276020/
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Let me bust 8 Win Silvertips (or Ball/HP/Ball/HP) on you from my Walther PP in .32 ACP and tell me it is inadequate or a pipsqueak. Not the best choice, but a whole lot better than no gun and I think it would be more effective than a .22 or .25

It is not my go to SD/HD pistol, but I don't feel inadequately armed when I have it.

:agree:

Mine is a small Mauser Pistol. It was a German Officer's pistol from WWII. My dad brought it back. I guarantee you pop somebody with it and they are going to know they've been shot. Like Chief says, it's not my first choice, but a whole lot better than no gun at all. I shoot 71 grain Full Metal Jackets. I wouldn't want to be shot by one. And also like Chief says, it's definitely tops a 22 or a 25 ACP. One thing, it's very concealable. I did carry it for awhile, but stopped because I didn't want to chance getting it confiscated should I need to use it. Its European designation is 7.65mm.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    twa wrote: »
    Funny you mention that caliber, I have been eye balling this auction....... but too high for me.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13276020/

Yep, takes its own cartridge...............................
    not a .32 ACP

Is this one Freezer is cleaning a regualr .32 ACP or .32 NAA caliber?

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/380guard/naa-32naa.html

"The 32NAA is a new cartridge/firearm 'system' designed and developed by the partnership of North American Arms and Cor-Bon Ammunition.

In essence, the cartridge is based on a 380 case, which is necked-down to hold a smaller 32 bullet. The benefit is a remarkable gain in ballistic performance (below).

The .32NAA Guardian pistol is designed around this cartridge. This gun is almost identical to .380 ACP Guardian, different only in the chamber and the size of the bore. The cartridge is manufactured by Cor-Bon, a well-recognized industry leader in the development of high-performance ammunition."
    It's the 32 ACP. This type of gun usually doesn't peak my interest but....

The last one was the PA 63. It's chambered in 9 Mak and isn't fun to shoot. I bought it for my little motor home as the wife and I have travel to some remote areas. I didn't like the idea of having my Smith or Ruger in the motor home while I was gone. The PA 63 cost me $150. If stollen they'll have all the trouble they deserve with this gun. They'll get one mag and then would try to load 9 Luger into it. I live in Ca and the area I live in forget about a CCW permit.

In a few months I'll be moving to Pa and that's a shall issue state.
    Any S&W revolver you can wheel and deal for would however be nicer!
    I is also is smart enough to know big rocks hurt worse than little ones and make bigger holes and velocity plays a role and what kinda rock it is : tooth: :tooth: :conehead::conehead:
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    So only good fer midgets and bad little petite criminals?

I hate to ask, but what do youi see as a minimum HvyMax?

My LCP is my go to CC. Any gun is better than none and people naturally don't like extra holes. Against a determined opponent a mouse gun is at best short of a Central Nervous System hit an irritant. Even if fatally wounded would probably finish many before succumbing to their wounds. Admittedly I am pretty big so it's different than someone who needs the gun to do the work. Of course 99% of the time it just needs to be there. Like I said it's a handy little thing that can go most anywhere and according to the chart as effective as any handgun on people who tend to be squeamish about being shot. I wouldn't count on it for a bear or determined attacker but would prefer it to a pointy stick. If I thought I would likely need a gun it would start with a 4 or end in ga.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    HvyMax wrote: »
    ........... If I thought I would likely need a gun it would start with a 4 or end in ga.

Oh a .410 ga huh? :yikes::rotflmao::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee::spittingcoffee:
    BC I want thenm both!
    :spittingcoffee:

All rise, the Judge has entered the room :worthy:

:popcorn:
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Proverbs 17:28. Some people just don't get it.:bang:
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    If I am not mistaken, and I often am, that was the round carried by the British Secret Service, in a Walther PPK.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,157 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    If I am not mistaken, and I often am, that was the round carried by the British Secret Service, in a Walther PPK.......Robin

It was carried by James Bond in a few of his books, starting after "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," I believe. Before that he carried a .25 ACP, a Beretta. I don't know if the Brits carried any weapon routinely. The Welrod assassination pistol was in .32 and 9mm, designed for a contact shooting.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »

from-russia-with-love-book-cover_ian-fleming.jpg

Mr.Geoffrey Boothroyd's very own Smith & Wesson, .38 here, I believe.

He also persuaded Fleming to swop out the .25 for a PPK.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    FIRST, the Caliber. I'm amused by the charts, graphs and anecdotes regarding stopping power, as they almost always focus on the results from firing just one shot. LOL, but who in a life and death crisis will fire just one shot at his opponent? Whether I'm holding a .22LR or a 12 Ga. shotgun, my 'target' is going to be shot with as many rounds as it takes for ME to cool down, regardless of the condition HE might be in after round one, two or three. Modern self defense ammunition is wonderful stuff. Yes it's grossly overpriced, expect to be skinned for about a dollar a round, but it works, and the cherry on top is much of it is designed to work extremely well out of extremely small platforms with very short barrels. Too many perps are killed with a single round of .22LR and too many survive multiple hits from .45ACP to worry a lot about caliber. Nowadays, with the right ammunition, and some attention paid to bullet placement, they're all good.

SECOND, the Gun. Unlike the case with many other manufacturers, no one ever asks if new NAA guns are better or worse than old ones. There are no good years/bad years to be concerned with. New or old, they're all good. No better, more ethical, more competent, more consistent, more consumer oriented firearms manufacturer exists. Everything they make is first class, of the highest quality materials, exhibiting fine workmanship, and all very reasonably priced. Their lifetime guarantee is taken as seriously by the company as it would be by you. The single instance, in owning their products for about 30 years, that I returned one for service after my repeated abuse, was very well handled. They sent me a pre-paid return label, they repaired the weapon, replacing many more parts than the single one I broke, and returned it to me not just repaired but fully restored and cleaned, all at no cost to me for anything. And in 10 days. The NAA Guardian is a keeper.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    Yep, takes its own cartridge...............................
    not a .32 ACP

Is this one Freezer is cleaning a regualr .32 ACP or .32 NAA caliber?

Guardians come in .25ACP, .32ACP, .32NAA, and .380ACP. His might very well be a .32ACP.
    horselips, thank you very much! I'll take this one and the Smith. Like I said before these little gun haven't been my cup of tea. I've handled a few Ravens and other like them just to go home and wash my contaminated hands, but this one looked different.

It's a 32 ACP

I always buy factory defense ammo for any gun I'll set up for defence purposes. Though I've hand loaded over 20 years I don't want to answer more questions to some liberal lawyer. "So you made these bullets (incorrect term intentional) because you plan to shoot someone."

If you pull the trigger on someone you'll have enough questions to answer without stepping into that trap.

There are some draw backs to this piece first being it's a six round mag. They have a ten round mag but that increases the size. I'll buy one just to check it out. Second I don't care for the mag release. It's not easy to operate in such a small frame and the mag doesn't just drop out, it takes a little coaxing. I think I can fix that and I saw an extended mag releace button on their website. At any rate this one is mine.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    EXCELLENT GUN!!! From personal hands on experience the NAA Guardian is an excellent little pistol. Basically a beefed up version of the highly desirable .32 Seecamp. Had one for a few years and regret selling it. A little heavier than you really want for a gun that size but it puts away +P ammo like Cor-Bon and others like no other .32 out there. I'll probably buy another one in the future if the right one crosses my path.

All part of the weeding out process right?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,319 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Yep! Hey everyone needs a going out to get the mail gun. :tooth:

attachment.php?attachmentid=6191&d=1424584972
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    .32 ACP with modern ammunition is nothing to sneeze at. They have enough power to get to the tootsie roll center and do fatal damage. The NAA pistol is a nice little gun. I'd not turn one down if I could find one at the right price.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.