Home Main Category General Firearms

Had to have it.....Marlin Model 80

North ForestNorth Forest MemberPosts: 354 Member
I've been thinking for a while that I needed to add a .22 to the stable for plinking, small game, and teaching the kids to shoot, and three weeks ago I discovered this beauty on the far end of the rack at one of the LGS's I frequent. I checked it out and really liked it, but didn't buy it right away mainly because I've bought two other guns just in the last three months. Well, I kept seeing it there, just waiting for me, and, well......you know how it goes. The story on this one is it belonged to a fellow now in his 70's who has had it since he was 12, as a gift from his uncle. The rifle has been really well cared for, the bore is immaculate and the bolt and receiver clean and smooth. I got a good deal on it and some ammo to go with, and I can hardly wait to go give her a try.

Just brought it home 45 minutes ago......

Marlin%201.jpg

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I like it. Hard to go wrong with those older Marlins. And looks like you got a good one.
    Post up a range report.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I love it, looking for something like that myself.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Nicely done sir. I have a very strong addiction to old .22s.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,823 Senior Member
    Old .22's!! What's not to like!!??
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Excellent find.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Nice
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    I love bolt .22s. Does it have Miro-groove rifling, or is it before that?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I think the J.C. Higgins Model 103.229 I have is the tube magazine version of your Model 80. Mine is stupid accurate... Minute of Pop Can at 100 yards, first shot every shot.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I like it. Range report when you can. They just don't make'm like that no mo!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,854 Senior Member
    Love it! Will probably shoot well. And with .22 ammo being scarce, a bolt action makes the box last a little longer!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,147 Senior Member
    Great score. I would have picked that up as well
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Very nice......those old .22's get me all the time
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Nice find. Marlin .22's always seem to be tack-drivers, in my experience. I bought a new one, a few years back, with tubular magazine and composite stock. I would have gladly passed it by for an old one in great condition, even with the box magazine.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    You never have too many .22s.....very nice! You plan to scope it or keep the open sights?
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I still have the one my Pap Pap bought in the 20's for my Mom to kill pigs with.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 354 Member
    Glad to know this one meets your approval guys, given the excellent condition I anticipate some accurate shots. To Gene's question, I'm not familiar with the term mirro-groove, but when you look down the barrel its as shiny as a mirror and the rifling is very distinct and crisp. To Antonio's question, for now I'll shoot it with stock sights, and perhaps scope it down the road. The sights are quite small, we'll see how well my aging eyes work with that. I plan to give it a shoot this weekend. I'll have to start hunting ammo for it.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    Micro-Groove means it's got a bunch of shallow rifling grooves instead of the usual four. I think Marlin started doing this around 1960 or so with all their rifles, not just .22s. It should say it on the barrel if it's got Micro-Groove rifling.

Most .22 rifles have excellent bores, except for the very old corrosive ones. The wax on .22 bullets coats the bore and keep it from rusting.

Marlin .22s are very accurate rifles.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.