Home Main Category General Firearms

Skeet shooting choke?

USUFBUSUFB Senior MemberPosts: 830 Senior Member
I may go skeet shooting with my friend next weekend. I'm sure I need to swap out the full choke that's in my 835 right now, but which do I use? Looking around on Midway, I see one called "skeet." Is it really that simple?

Also, is there any particular load that works best for this? As you might have guessed, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to shotguns.

I plan to take my Mossberg 835, and I might borrow my brother's 20 gauge Rem 870. Friend's gf might come with us and I want to bring something she'll be comfortable shooting.
Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
NRA Life Member

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    It's basically no choking at all, I think. I use Improved Cylinder for doves, which I think is a very slight choke.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    Yeah, it's pretty much that simple.... Actually there are 2 skeet chokes "Skeet 1" has slightly more constriction than Cylinder.."Skeet 2" has slightly more constriction that Improved Cylinder.....this might help....

http://www.trulockchokes.com/faqs.php
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I always just used improved cylinder, but I'm old and they didn't have those fancy skeet chokes when I was shooting. :tooth:

Like Jayhawker said, Skeet 1 or Skeet 2 would work, as would improved cylinder.
    For 12 ga. 1 oz. low brass field loads with #8 shot.
    For 20 ga. 3/4 oz. or 7/8 oz low brass field loads in #8 shot.
    Skeet specific shotshells are sold for both, but the above will let you get your feet wet.

Edit to add: both of those gauge loads are in 2 3/4" shotshells.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I use skeet #1 and #2, if your just starting, just use an imp. cyl. , You wont notice any difference between the 3. As Mike said above #8 shot, if the store doesn't have #8 get #7 1/2. Have fun, it can get addictive .

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Don't the skeet-dedicated Winchester AA shells use #9 shot?
    Jerry
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    I forgot to put my modified choke back in after I took out my full turkey choke, shot 2 rounds of clays before I noticed, my score did not change.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Yeah. Most of the skeet loads are #9 shot, but they tend to be a lot pricier than the low brass #8 shot rounds. If you reload them yourself it's same cost. If you buy them, it's a big difference.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Just checked some 12 and 20ga. AA skeet loads, Win. makes them in 7 1/2, 8, & 9s.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Mike is right. Those things are pricey, if you can even find them.i thought I had an old box of them but it's just some loose rounds in an ammo can.
    But people used to reload shot shells more than I'm aware of today. There was an LGS that had a big table with a press and bags of shot, they'd reload what ever you wanted. The store is still there but the table is long gone.
    Op if your friend wants to shoot and the 12 will fit her you might consider letting her use that. It won't kick any more than the 20 and throw a lot more pellets so she can actually hit something.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    When I shot Skeet in Italy while stationed there, my Beretta 686 had full and modified permanent chokes. I didn't know any better. 25s were easy to achieve with a little practice and the birds really smoked when you hit 'em.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    If your going to just try skeet, don't worry about the choke; just worry about shooting fundamentals and proper lead for the station you are on. Lead distances are posted as a reference at some ranges.

You can probably find that out online easy enough, too.

If you find skeet fun and are going to do it a lot get a sheet choke.

I used fixed full for years and had fun just the same, never shot 25 for 25; but, did well enough.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Thanks for the help gentlemen. I'll try a few rounds with the full choke in, then maybe switch to an improved cylinder to see if I notice a difference.
    Op if your friend wants to shoot and the 12 will fit her you might consider letting her use that. It won't kick any more than the 20 and throw a lot more pellets so she can actually hit something.

My buddy and I are both 6'2", so we can handle my 12 gauge no problem. His gf is only about 5'2", though, so I think it will be too much for her, especially with a 26" barrel. The 870 has a 20" bbl.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Winchester AA is good but don't buy the Winchester bulk pack from Wal-Mart and others. That stuff refuses to cycle and broke an extractor on my 835. The other bulk packs seem to work fine for me though.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct