Coyote Season has opened for us...Range Report

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 15,210 Senior Member
While there is no closed season for coyotes in KS, my hunting partner and I find shooting pregnant females distasteful and no challenge at all in shooting summer pups, so we usually wait until the tail end of October to start after them....

We made three stands yesterday, spending about 30 minutes on each stand...No joy....not a hair...

We found out later, from a deer hunter that was hunting 1/2 mile to the South, that on our last stand, 5 coyotes (a pair and three singles) came past his stand, heading for our call...
somehow, they all busted us prior to our seeing them...as I think about it, we might have been playing the wind a little close...

Coyotes 5, Us- 0
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    I hear their tough to hunt, never tried it. #1 son has shot them in Texas.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    It's painful when you find out that someone saw your quarry somewhere other than where you were. It's happened to the best of us. I did some summer pup shooting up around where we go duck hunting/quail to help the fall cause and we spent many days not seeing a thing as the summer wore ow. Now is the time to get it done. You'll have plenty of more chances.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,210 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I hear their tough to hunt, never tried it. #1 son has shot them in Texas.

Not all that difficult really....you just have to pay attention to..........Everything!...
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    It's painful when you find out that someone saw your quarry somewhere other than where you were. It's happened to the best of us. I did some summer pup shooting up around where we go duck hunting/quail to help the fall cause and we spent many days not seeing a thing as the summer wore ow. Now is the time to get it done. You'll have plenty of more chances.

Thanks Luis...we'll take a run at them again in the morning...
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,612 Senior Member
    What's your go to call? I have a quaker boy fawn distress that seems to work quite well.
    I use an old Sceery rabbit screamer , an even older Olt and a cowhorn howler, this time of year a hurt pup still tends to bring the adults running as well....However...my cousin is by far the better caller and he uses custom built calls..and takes care of the calling duties when we hunt together...the guy is phenomenal
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,708 Senior Member
    It's about time to get out and do some calling here in Az. as well.
    I'm going to try a Primos Power Dog electronic call this year.
    However I will take along my mouth calls just in case.
    Trying out a new rifle this year too,Savage Axis in .223
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    While there is no closed season for coyotes in KS, my hunting partner and I find shooting pregnant females distasteful and no challenge at all in shooting summer pups, so we usually wait until the tail end of October to start after them....

We made three stands yesterday, spending about 30 minutes on each stand...No joy....not a hair...

We found out later, from a deer hunter that was hunting 1/2 mile to the South, that on our last stand, 5 coyotes (a pair and three singles) came past his stand, heading for our call...
    somehow, they all busted us prior to our seeing them...as I think about it, we might have been playing the wind a little close...

Coyotes 5, Us- 0

I was gonna say, if Kansas put a season on coyotes, you must have bunny huggers in your fish and game department like we have in Austin. One clown wanted to put a season and bag limit on wild hogs one time. He almost got lynched by all the farmers and ranchers in the state.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,140 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    my hunting partner and I find shooting pregnant females distasteful

Use more butter.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jordan and I will be calling coyotes the third week of November. Should be fun but as Jayhawker said, you have just got to pay attention to everything.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,612 Senior Member
    I truly love bowhunting whitetails, but calling Coyotes is rapidly becoming my new favorite hunting passion. It is challenging & exciting and a lot easier to find a new place to hunt since all the $$$$ that is controlling deer hunting has not ruined it. The length of the season, nearly 6 months means you get a lot more out of any equipment necessary (Or that is simply irresistable.). Great way to get out in Jan./Feb. and do some hunting.
    Yep!....I like to get my deer hunting out of the way so I can get back to coyote hunting....I'm also guilty of shooting coyotes while on a deer stand. I keep my calls in my pocket while deer hunting in case things get slow...additionally, calling doesn't disturb the deer - as a matter of fact, I've had deer come to a call (I assume, just out of curiosity). Last year we killed 5 coyotes during the deer season while we were wearing blaze orange...
    Ya know what? I've got this beautiful Rem. 700 ADL Synthetic with a nice Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 sitting on top of it and I have a slew of good bullets to be loaded. I may just resign myself to hog and coyote hunting from now on. You have inspired me J, now tell me what's a good call?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    You want mouth calls or an electronic call?

There's a learning curve to mouth calls...not a really steep curve, but a curve nevertheless...
    The basic calls are a predator call and a howler...most come with an instructional DVD that will teach you the basics...
    Primos, Lohman, Olt, Johnny Stewart make descent basic calls....

Electronic calls can range from affordable to really stupid...I like FoxPro because we can set the call in a brush pile and then back off some distance before we start calling...
    Yeah I hadn't given much thought to a learning curve, but that electronic and backing off from it sounds good. I'll see what and when I'll get around to this.