Home Main Category General Firearms

.264LBC Upper is almost finished

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,563 Senior Member
Here is the mockup of the build thus far. The lower is the same lower for my SPR build. I do not plan to build a new lower for the .264LBC upper.

20150326_2036102.jpg

Parts list so far...
Upper: Aero Precision mil-spec forged
Barrel: Black Hole Weaponry 1-9T polygonal rifling, 20"
Handguard: Parallax Tactical 15"

20150326_2002562.jpg

The rifling is 3 "groove" polygonal. Some reports claim an added 100 to 150 fps compared to normal rifling. Seems to be a bold claim, but my chrono will lend some clues about those claims.

I will be getting the BCG and other whatnots in the near future. I'll likely shoot factory ammo to start (6.5 Grendel) as I gather components. It will eventually likely get topped with another Primary Arms 4-14x44FFP.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,018 Senior Member
    Parts look pretty good to me.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,015 Senior Member
    Looks fun, nice work.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,413 Senior Member
    Neat looking hand guard.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    The hell you won't build another lower. Changing lowers back and forth sucks.

I like it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    The hell you won't build another lower. Changing lowers back and forth sucks.

I like it.

It's not that inconvenient. Being it's a completely different caliber, I'd have no practical need to carry the 223 and 6.5 uppers at the same time.

I'm not saying another lower won't eventually be built, but I have other gun pursuits that take much precedent over a $400-450 lower build.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    You are going where I feared to trod. I am anxious for your range report.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    You are going where I feared to trod. I am anxious for your range report.

D

I'm apprehensive, but I'm optimistic.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,890 Senior Member
    I like it. A lot.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,374 Senior Member
    I hope it shoots for you as well as my "Grendel" shoots for me.

I've found H4895 to deliver the best accuracy in mine, be forewarned though, it delivers nowhere near the highest velocity. I use 26.0 behind a Hornday 123 A-Max or SST AA cases and Tula (wolf) SR primers in mine that combo gives me 2375fps from my conventionally rifled 24" tube (1540 FPE for BigDan)

edited to add: Hornady recommends 1800fps+ impact velocity, even at my leisurely MV, I'm over 1800 just past 350 yard according to QuickTarget (QL's ballistic program)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I'm not saying another lower won't eventually be built, but I have other gun pursuits that take much precedent over a $400-450 lower build.

I understand, I want to build another lower. Unfortunately I have the attention span of a
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I hope it shoots for you as well as my "Grendel" shoots for me.

I've found H4895 to deliver the best accuracy in mine, be forewarned though, it delivers nowhere near the highest velocity. I use 26.0 behind a Hornday 123 A-Max or SST AA cases and Tula (wolf) SR primers in mine that combo gives me 2375fps from my conventionally rifled 24" tube (1540 FPE for BigDan)

edited to add: Hornady recommends 1800fps+ impact velocity, even at my leisurely MV, I'm over 1800 just past 350 yard according to QuickTarget (QL's ballistic program)

That's why I went with a 20" barrel. I want to squeeze velocity out of it without making it too cumbersome. Ancillary to that, I'm trying the 3-groove polygonal rifling due to some advertising that it gets a tad more velocity per bullet/powder combo that traditional rifling.

I don't know how true that is, but I've read several reports that polygonal rifling does seem to yield about 100fps more (in some cases) than traditional rifling. We'll see. It is known to be easier to clean.

I am planning to use Berger AR Hybrid 130gr 6.5mm bullets as my "heavy" bullet...if I can find some.
    I understand, I want to build another lower. Unfortunately I have the attention span of a

Haha. :tooth:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    I really like that handguard.
    Hope it shoots well for you.
    jbohio wrote: »
    I really like that handguard.
    Hope it shoots well for you.

Thanks! I'm sold on this style of hand guard. Parallax Tactical makes the one in the picture and SLR Rifleworks makes the one on my SPR upper...

20150211_180309.jpg