Home Main Category General Firearms

Saving ammo

2»

Replies

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    I don't usually go through more than a 20-round box for my rifles; I want them sighted in and function-tested, and that's it. With handguns, I test for accuracy, precision, and function on the gun & ammo, and then form & function on myself.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    I shoot till I'm satisfied with my performance, or reach a point of diminishing returns. Some days I just don't 'have it' and burning ammo is not gonna change anything on that particular day. Then I come back early on another day, with the right eyeglasses and less caffeine in my system.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I can't make myself waste ammo, and by wasting it I mean shooting it without a purpose...just to make smoke. I will shoot for groups, but once I've determined me and the rifle (mostly me) are performing, I tend to put the gun back in the truck. Not a recreational ammo-waster.

A day at the range for me MAY be firing 10 rounds after sighting in. I think this is because I couldn't afford to "waste" ammo as a kid, and was taught one shot, one squirrel. I mostly taught this to myself, as I didn't have a strong role model as a kid, my father died when I was 12 and both brothers were in the military. So I got my self-education from books. One, "A Boy and His Gun" I particularly remember. It was in the high school library, which you won't see nowadays. Still a good read and I have a copy in my home.

My shooting bud likes to shoot, and will shoot up 100 rounds of .223 at a time. I don't think I've EVER shot that much ammo at a range session. I feel a barrel has only so many rounds for the life of the barrel and am reluctant to shorter than life. I remember reading that the SMLE in WW I began to deteriorate after 60 rounds or so. I know that isn't true today, but I guard my barrels. When I had an M 16, I wouldn't allow others to shoot it on shoot-fast. Not a popular stance.

I wonder how I can overcome this madness. I've got plenty of ammo, and like to shoot, but one or five rounds at a time. Any ideas?

Do like me, shoot your rifle in, shoot 10 more rounds, then let it fall out off the rests, hit the table, and fall down on the concrete shooting pad. Then, if nothing major appears broke, you get to sight it in again because you know the scope got knocked plum off the paper.

I did this to my 9.3 x 62 the first time I took it out and sighted it in. All it suffered was a few scratches and the scope was off about 6 inches. But that will sure make you have to shoot more, IF you brought enough Ammo with you.

Damn I hate it when that happens!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    And barrels and ammo? They make more!

Have you ever wore a barrel out? I never have. Maybe that should be a new goal of mine. Put it on my bucket list.

My luck all mine will wear out in the same month!

:fan:.....:yikes:.....:silly:.....:tissue:.....:bang:

.....:rotflmao:..........:roll2:..........:rotflmao:.....
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.