Home Main Category General Firearms

7.62x54R ammo and reloading and muzzle break

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,623 Senior Member
I have a bubba project going on right now on a Mosin platform. It is getting better and better group performance with heavier and heavier bullets.

The Wolf Gold 180 grain SP stuff is getting me about 2.5" groups. The monarch steel case 185 grain FMJ is sub 2" ( barely). This is going to be a beater hunting gun, so I need to use appropriate ammo for deer/ pigs.

I have 2 ways to go. Find a heavier factory load that works for hunting, or reload the wolf gold cases with a heavier slug. Anyone have suggestions on loads or ammo to try?

Also, as the load gets heavier, recoil is getting more and more obnoxious. Anyone have a suggestion on an inexpensive break that works?
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    You can get 203gr Silver Bear SP's and give them a try. My condolences in advance to your shoulder.

The Texas Precision and Witt Machine brakes got good reviews. They are $70 to $85. Worth researching.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Another one that looks like it might be what you are looking for, and they are easy to install. It's he MP 91 brake on their website.

http://shop.mosinplus.com/
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Ditto on the 203 grainers.............I purchased 500 rounds some years ago and still have 1/2 left, Barnaul brand. This was back when I was on a MN kick using my C&R. The recoil isn't that bad, not as I expected, especially if you stand up and shoot it. Actually, no worse than much lighter bullets/loads I've fired.

For my Russian Mosins I reload fer, I use .303 (.311/.3105) bullets and they are what 174 grains. For my Finnish rework I use .308 dia

Mine cane in red and green 20 round boxes. I dunno what name it sold under today.

Barnaul 203 grain data:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo019.htm
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,330 Senior Member
    Suck it up, panty-boy. A little recoil never hurt anyone.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Suck it up, panty-boy. A little recoil never hurt anyone.

LOL. This coming from the guy that only shoots 5 rounds per range session ;)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I have a bubba project going on right now on a Mosin platform. It is getting better and better group performance with heavier and heavier bullets.

The Wolf Gold 180 grain SP stuff is getting me about 2.5" groups. The monarch steel case 185 grain FMJ is sub 2" ( barely). This is going to be a beater hunting gun, so I need to use appropriate ammo for deer/ pigs.

I have 2 ways to go. Find a heavier factory load that works for hunting, or reload the wolf gold cases with a heavier slug. Anyone have suggestions on loads or ammo to try?

Also, as the load gets heavier, recoil is getting more and more obnoxious. Anyone have a suggestion on an inexpensive break that works?

Don't these Nagants bores vary in size? I have one I have never shot and would like to gear up to load for it also. But I think it would be a good Idea to insure what the barrel diameter is and get bullets to match. Are some of them like .311-.312? Or are they .308-.309 ish.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Don't these Nagants bores vary in size? I have one I have never shot and would like to gear up to load for it also. But I think it would be a good Idea to insure what the barrel diameter is and get bullets to match. Are some of them like .311-.312? Or are they .308-.309 ish.

I believe the Russian Mosins all have .311 bores. IIRC the Finnish guns are .308.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I believe the Russian Mosins all have .311 bores. IIRC the Finnish guns are .308.

OK Thanks. I knew there was some variance there but wasn't sure how much or which guns were what. My rifle is Russian and an octagonal Receiver. It's in excellent shape so no way I want to alter it at all, not even site wise. It will stay original. It is a thing of beauty. But I do want to shoot it. I would even like to see if I could blood it on a hog sometime. While the bore appears pristine, I realise looking up or down it is not a proper inspection. But it's not rusty or dark and I'm curious to see how well it shoots

I have had excellent results with Wolf Ammo, even though as said on here it's not made by Wolf, but rather Privy Partisan. Whoever makes it makes a good quality round. And the brass I've reloaded in 8x57 is excellent. If it's me and I want something to hunt with, I would find something in the 160-170 grain range. That will give you good velocity but plenty of weight and SD for penetration.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.