Home Main Category Clubhouse

Well, I guess it's my turn to report a serious health issue.

2»

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,635 Senior Member
    If I can have it right away, there a good chance I can still make it to the shoot. It depends on what the recovery time is.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    3-4 days in the hospital, then 14-16 days on a catheter. Couple of weeks after the stiches/clips come out of 10 lbs limit on lifting.

Don't want to fall, the field for the shoot can be tricky at times.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN wrote: »
    3-4 days in the hospital, then 14-16 days on a catheter. Couple of weeks after the stiches/clips come out of 10 lbs limit on lifting.

Yeah, and this year I have chairs that won't collapse on me....LOL
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Hope it all turns if for the best. In couple yrs Jerry is going to have to build us all a wheelchair ramp to the firing line.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Hope it all turns if for the best. In couple yrs Jerry is going to have to build us all a wheelchair ramp to the firing line.
    Hell, I'll get one with knobby tires and a go-kart engine...LOL
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    NN wrote: »

I'm not sure what type of surgery you're talking about. I understand it will be done with robotics using a minimally invasive technique using small probes that go in there and take out the bad organ.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,634 Senior Member
    You are in our prayers!
  • Miss MaryMiss Mary Senior Member Posts: 728 Senior Member
    We want to see you at the shoot, that goes without saying BUT....your recovery comes first, do what the doctors say and know that this isn't our last rodeo, (barring Mr. Jerry doing anymore self destructive bike tricks), #9 this year and we are looking forward to #10 already. Prayers coming your way and just for good measure fingers crossed too! :angel2:
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,286 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I view testosterone as the the Hormone of Death !

Ummm ........ surprise???? :uhm:

MMD, dont mess around with it. If you and the doc agree on the course of action, do it ASAP. A coworker got it, they pulled the prostrate and he is back to work and getting along fine.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Prayers for a full recovery are on the way. I too have been there, done that, and got the tee shirt. Do what ever it takes and you will be fine.......Robin :angel:
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    I've been having prostate issues recently. About a year ago I started having to pee more often than usual at night, sometimes between 3 and 5 times nightly. A month ago I had some blood tests and when I got the results they showed I had a high PSA reading and it was about double what the reading had been previously. I told the doctor about my nightly peeing routine and he suggested I see a Urologist. 3 weeks ago I went for an appointment and we discussed some general information about the prostate and he said I should have an ultrasound test and biopsy of my prostate. The biopsy involves them putting a probe up my butt with the ultrasound device and the biopsy hole puncher too. This is done under anesthesia, so it's completely painless. The biopsy device puts puncture holes through the intestinal wall into the prostate. I'm not sure how many holes they make, but it's more than one. This of course made me have blood in my stool and urine. The bloody urine lasted about a week and the bloody stool was only once. To prevent an infection, they prescribe an an antibiotic. The ultrasound revealed a firm mass in my prostate, but the doctor said it didn't necessarily mean anything. I had to wait until the 30th to get the results of the biopsy at the Urologist's office.

I went to the doctor today and the biopsy confirmed I have prostate cancer. It's in the early stages yet, so I probably will make a complete recovery, but I will need to have my prostate removed. For various reasons I'm not real anxious to do that, but if that's what they have to do then I'm ready for it.

I'm hoping that there will not be a real urgency in having this surgery immediately, so as to mess up my plans for the SE Shoot and my trip to Maggie Valley, NC in late July. I'm going to try and schedule it for right after I return from the shoot the first week of June, or until after Maggie Valley in early August.

I know some people on this forum don't like to go to doctors. If you never take any of my other suggestions, please take this one: if you are over 55 and you don't regularly get check-ups, including blood work with a PSA test, please start doing it.....it could save your life. If not for my high PSA reading at my regular check-up, I might have ignored the excessive peeing until it was too late.

If he can get you scheduled for sometime in April you should be ready for the shoot. Just do it and don't screw around. A month might make a difference.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,394 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    A month might make a difference.

:agree::that:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I sure do want to go to the shoot, but I'm not taking any chances with this. I will take the first available slot for the surgery. I might as well get it over with right away and get on with my life. If I'm lucky maybe I can make it anyway.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Good!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Good on you for getting to the doc and not ignoring the signs. That proactive approach may have very well saved your life. God bless and may you have a speedy recovery!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,048 Senior Member
    Prayers out from down here MMD.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 511 Senior Member
    Wishing you the best through this ordeal and a speedy recovery. :angel2:
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    I pray for a quick and complete recovery.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I'm not sure what type of surgery you're talking about. I understand it will be done with robotics using a minimally invasive technique using small probes that go in there and take out the bad organ.

Most all surgery today, unless it's like a cardio bypass or similar, is done laporascopically, using little cameras and lenses w. very small incisions. Amazing -- my surgeon removed my gallbladder w. 3 teeny holes, and last fall he fixed my double hernia and implanted the mesh, all the same technique.

In both surgeries, they had me walking around the bed that evening and discharged me the next day. I had very little pain and normal painkillers and antibiotics were all I needed. I went back to the doc the next week for a brief exam and that was it.

Your upcoming surgery will probably also be laparoscopic, check w. the docs. You'll be walking around easy the next day. Being prostate you might wake up w. a Foley catheter that you wear (little urine bag stupidly belted to your thigh) for a couple days until the swelling decreases enough for you to urinate normally. An inconvenience but not too bad -- just wear old baggy jeans over it and smile a lot. At least you won't have to get up to go pee during a good TV movie.

Most essential is to not strain w. any lifting nor do any stretching or reaching too much for about a week. The incisions are small but you must allow them to heal. If they break, you go back into surgery and you don't want that. Walking is fine and in fact may be recommended, just not for long distances till you're 100%.

No sweat, dude. And you'll feel a LOT better when you're healed up. Go fer it!
    samzhere wrote: »
    Most all surgery today, unless it's like a cardio bypass or similar, is done laporascopically, using little cameras and lenses w. very small incisions. Amazing -- my surgeon removed my gallbladder w. 3 teeny holes, and last fall he fixed my double hernia and implanted the mesh, all the same technique..........
    That is the understanding I have about this surgery. Amazing what they have come up with in the last 5-10 years.

I appreciate all the feedback I have gotten over this issue. It helps me to cope with the apprehension I have had over it....Thank you all.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    samzhere wrote: »
    Most all surgery today, unless it's like a cardio bypass or similar, is done laporascopically, using little cameras and lenses w. very small incisions. Amazing -- my surgeon removed my gallbla... An inconvenience but not too bad -- just wear a full skirt over it...

FIFY :tooth: