Home Main Category General Firearms

Berger AR Hybrid bullets and new IMR 4166

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
I contacted some super nice folks at EuroOptic.com and they have some Berger 6.5mm 130gr "AR Hybrid" bullets arriving in mid-May. They're scarce as hens teeth. I was glad to be able to purchase them on backorder only a month or so out. I'm hoping the .264LBC dispenses these into bug holes.

I'll be fishing around for some lighter bullets as well for varmints.

In a tangential topic, I loaded up some 60gr and 55gr VMAX .223 for the SPR. I am using IMR Enduron 4166. It's more abundant than Varget 'round here and is alleged to perform almost identically and have the same or better temperature stability. We'll see. Range report soon.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,240 Senior Member
    I'll be interested to hear how the powder performs :popcorn:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Little update pre-range on the IMR Enduron 4166:

IF it performs comparably to Varget and IF it still shoots sub-MOA, I'm switching to 4166. For 77gr SMK loads 4166 "maxes" out at 22.7gr compressed while Varget is about 24gr, maybe compressed. So it saves on powder in the long run and doesn't cost me anymore than Varget would.

However, 4166 does not meter as well in my Lyman powder hopper as Varget. This is sort of moot considering how crappy Varget already meters in it--but it's managed to be worse. +/- 0.7gr seemed to be nominal. I had to throw -1.0gr and trickle up. Normally I throw -0.5gr and trickle up.

4166 fills cases better than Varget, but until I get to shoot the loads that characteristic is moot. If it shoots well though, I'll know it to give good case fill densities AND be a performer. I'll try it out in my 150gr 308 loads for my Ruger Gunsite Scout next.

Here's the test batch...

20150405_1017452.jpg

The 60gr VMAX are on the left (10 w/4166 and 5 w/varget), 77gr Nosler CC with 4166 and Varget then 55gr VMAX with 4166.

A word about anything 60gr and under with 4166...max loads are SUPER compressed. Like with 55gr the max is almost 26gr per Hodgdon. That's case fill up into about 75% of the neck. I used my 6" powder funnel drop tube and only managed to get it down to about 50% neck fill. Is this a safe compressed load? It's in the manual, but...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Something meters WORSE than Varget?

Amazingly, yes.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Something meters WORSE than Varget?

1680 is very bad
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: