Squirrels

HAWKENHAWKEN Senior MemberPosts: 1,685 Senior Member
Anyone ever "bark" a squirrel ? I've just always shot them in the head. If you bark one, does it make it DRT ? I have visions of one coming back to life in the back of my vest, LOL Robin
I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    I have gotten DRT, wake up and run away, and come alive in the coat.
    Best thing is to see if they breathe, have a pulse by squeezing the chest to see if the heart is beating, or stick your knife in the neck and sever the spine.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Anyone ever "bark" a squirrel ? I've just always shot them in the head. If you bark one, does it make it DRT ? I have visions of one coming back to life in the back of my vest, LOL Robin

Hang on...I'll run down to the creek with my .54 and see how it goes.....

Nope...blew the tree limb in half , the falling branch hit me in the head and the last time I saw the fox squirrel he hadn't landed yet....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    If you mean kill one by hitting the bark of the tree and having them die incidentally.... no. Never done that.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I made a head shot on a grey squirrel 4,5 years ago, and it fell out of the tree close to a buddy who was going into the woods to hunt with us. He picked it up and was looking at where I had just creased its head with the round ball when the squirrel woke up! For a few seconds it was like holding on to a Singer sewing machine:nono:
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I made a head shot on a grey squirrel 4,5 years ago, and it fell out of the tree close to a buddy who was going into the woods to hunt with us. He picked it up and was looking at where I had just creased its head with the round ball when the squirrel woke up! For a few seconds it was like holding on to a Singer sewing machine:nono:

:spittingcoffee::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::guns:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,254 Senior Member
    I "barked" one with a .30-06 one day, and it worked as advertized- - - -the squirrel hit the ground limp as a dishrag, and looked like it was dead. Before I walked the 25 yards or so to pick it up, it revived and took off like a scalded cat! Glad it wasn't in my hand or in my pocket when that happened!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    I have a squirrel that barks...
    IMG_3447.JPG