Home Main Category General Firearms

Problem with my Cheap 870

13»

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    FWIW, I have 5 870's. Including the one I got when I was 15, my first gun. To say that one has been rode hard, would be an understatement.
    Also, I have 2 used police magnums. Everybody I know has at least one 870, and I've owned at least 10 other ones over the years.
    Slug barrel swaps happen every deer season, turkey barrels, etc.

I've never seen a broken ejector, till you posted it here.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    The only other problem you will most likely run into is the shell latches coming loose....long flat peices that run the length of the reciever that have tabs in front of the magazine. 870s are fairly easy to diagnose a problem...
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    The only other problem you will most likely run into is the shell latches coming loose....long flat peices that run the length of the reciever that have tabs in front of the magazine. 870s are fairly easy to diagnose a problem...

You talking about the pieces that releases the shell from the magazine? If so, are they a big deal to repair?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    jbohio wrote: »
    FWIW, I have 5 870's. Including the one I got when I was 15, my first gun. To say that one has been rode hard, would be an understatement.
    Also, I have 2 used police magnums. Everybody I know has at least one 870, and I've owned at least 10 other ones over the years.
    Slug barrel swaps happen every deer season, turkey barrels, etc.

I've never seen a broken ejector, till you posted it here.

Thanks, makes me feel better, because neither had I.
    The net can be the voice of Doom!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    You talking about the pieces that releases the shell from the magazine? If so, are they a big deal to repair?
    Yep those are the ones....any gunsmith or Remington armour can restake them in....no big deal. My brother had a 20 ga that needed it done. Pops was thrilled it was the onlythe second time in 20 years he encountered it as a police dpt shot gun armour.
    Yep those are the ones....any gunsmith or Remington armour can restake them in....no big deal. My brother had a 20 ga that needed it done. Pops was thrilled it was the onlythe second time in 20 years he encountered it as a police dpt shot gun armour.

Well, so far it's good. What seems to go wrong with them?
    They can come loose...
    They can come loose...

What holds them in, a spring keeper?

Or are they held on with rivets too?
    Nope they are peened into place on the reciever.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    What holds them in, a spring keeper?

Or are they held on with rivets too?
    Peened in place for disassembly otherwise held in place by the trigger housing group [thg] and the pins that hold that in place.

In my 1100 and 11-87, after they pop the peening out or had to be replaced; I just hold them in place with the tip of the pins and slide in the thg and their good to go until next disacembly.
    NN wrote: »
    Peened in place for disassembly otherwise held in place by the trigger housing group [thg] and the pins that hold that in place.

In my 1100 and L11-87, after they pop the peening out or had to be replaced; I just hold them in place with the tip of the pins and slide in the thg and their good to go until next disacembly.

Thanks Ned. Now it's getting clearer. I'm not taking them out. I do have it pretty clean now. I think I'll take a post cleaning picture of the inside of the receiver and show you how much crap came out. I think what y'all were thinking was rust was a patina that had built up with the gunk. I didn't scrub it but flooded it with Brake Cleaner. Then just rubbed what I could reach with a rag. It looks pretty clean inside. The trigger group is very clean and the bolt assembly and the action bars and all that. I use Liquid Wrench Lubricating oil spray with Cerflon, another name for Teflon It's cheaper than Rem-Oil but does as good in my opinion. Now it's slick as Owl Poop.

All this thing needs now is an ejector and spring and it will be good as new.
    OK, today, Tuesday, 03/31/15, I ordered from Brownells, an 870 rivet stake on set,an 870 12 ga. ejector, an ejector spring, and a front and a rear rivet, total with rounding off for NRA donation was $70. I didn't get the rivet cutting tool. I'll grind the rivets off with my Dremel as Bigslug suggested. Should be here in about a week.

Once I get it repaired I'll use it as is. Then when my gun fund gets well I'll take it to Dwight and get him to bead blast and blue it. I'm thinking to wipe it down with Ospho to kill the rust though. that will remove what blue is left on it, but will stop any rust in progress. The outside of the barrel is pitted and rusty out near the end.
    Finally, got the parts in, removed the old broken extractor and spring and put the new parts in. I watched about four videos I think but none showed or told which tool to use on which. I finally did another search and found that I was using the wrong tool on the front rivet that holds the spring. Then when I got it right, I split the riveting tool length wise up almost all the way to the other end. I'm sending that back. Must have been made in china. I ended up peening the front rivet on with an old punch I found in one of my tool boxes that looked like it came over on the Mayflower. But it worked. It now ejects shells smoothly. Once I figured out what I was doing it was a piece of cake. Pics to come later. I'm going to bed now. Later!
    Didn't think it would be too rough on you;-) Good work.
    Didn't think it would be too rough on you;-) Good work.

Thanks Elk. Several people here made me want to try the fix, but your gentle hand pushed me over the cliff. Thanks everybody for advice and patience with my late in life learning experience. If there ever is a next time at this particular fix it should be a piece of cake, RIGHT?

:hug:

:tooth:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,700 Senior Member
    Good Job. If that was me I would probably still be waiting for the gunsmith to finish the job
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Thanks snake, here to help:tooth:
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    It is so much more satisfying to do things for yourself. Many have to run to a gunsmith to clean their guns nowadays.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Good for you! Home basic gunsmithing is fun and you learn quite a bit!

OH YES! I haven't learned so much since I was 16 years old and tried to overhaul a 57 Ford with a socket set and a pair of channel Locks. My dad was no mechanic either so he told me, "Boy, when you put something together you be sure it's good n tight! I did. When I got through the starter wouldn't turn the engine over, so we tried pulling it. Had it up to 60 MPH and pulled it into drive. Slowed the Pontiac that was pulling me down to about 40. Finally gave up and I took it to a Mechanic we knew. He had to retorque the rod AND main bearings. It was a wonder it didn't wipe all the brand new bearings out.

Edited to Add: Probably a good thing it didn't start.