Does with fawns

HAWKENHAWKEN Senior MemberPosts: 1,688 Senior Member
How long will a doe keep her last seasons fawns around her before she goes into estress? Since I have moved to Tennessee, I have two groups of does with fawns coming to the feeder in my back yard, and it's the end of October......Robin
I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    That's not unusual at all around here, Robin. Since the "rut" in Tennessee isn't as time-specific as other places, there can be a wide difference in the age of fawns. A late-bred doe from last season will sometimes have a fawn still in spots, or just barely getting its first solid-color coat when bow season opens, and often all the way into muzzleloader season. It's not uncommon to see a family group with an old doe with younger offspring running together for several seasons. As the bucks mature, they start breaking off into bachelor groups until the rut begins. Two weeks ago, I saw two yearling bucks with pretty good racks and an older doe about 50 yards from the back door. Probably Mama and twins, I believe.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    I'm not sure estress is always an issue, she may breed and link back up with the fawns as they grow further and stay in a group until near spring birthing time and maybe beyond as Jerry said.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    This morning two fawns hung out munching acorns for 45 mins until mom came up the creek bed and collected them like unruly teens to go bed down. Sometimes the tending buck will run off the young uns until he's finished his breeding. I suppose if you are a little fawn buck life could get rough if you try to hang around too long when its the rut.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    It's not uncommon to see a family group with an old doe with younger offspring running together for several seasons.

Same here.

Oddly enough, I have been seeing multiple mature bucks hanging out in groups with no does over the last few years. And that is in more than one location, so it's not just one group of more "metro" bucks ;)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov