Home Main Category General Firearms

Question about "slide-fire" mechanisms for the AR

Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior MemberPosts: 7,911 Senior Member
When I was at the SE shoot last May, I didn't see who but one of the group had a slide-fire AR. I have since been wondering what that person or anyone thinks about having that for your AR. I looked them up on the internet, and they don't seem to be prohibitively expensive...somewhere between $350-$400. My question is do you think it's worth having just for the novelty of it, or in the event the unwashed masses invade your neighborhood looking for blood?
JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,043 Senior Member
    The Slide Fire(and it's clones- there is one that is $99, btw) exist for two reasons:
    1) Full auto is just insanely fun to shoot
    2) Full Auto is just insanely expensive to get into.

Last time I shopped for a Civilian legal full auto (7-8 years ago), the cheapest way to get in was a MAC-10. Those ran Three to four THOUSAND dollars for just the gun. Then you add on the tax stamp, magazines, ammo, etc.. and you are talking the price of a good used car just to giggle. If you want a better quality FA gun, things start getting into the "Upscale car", and can easily get into "new luxury car" range for some of the more desirable guns.

What the Slide Fire does, it give you a reasonable facsimile of a gun with a giggle-switch without selling a kidney.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    I didn't know they were that cheap. Last time I checked the one I looked at was about the price I quoted above. I guess you can select the rapid-fire or the single shot method....correct? Zinc-plated .223 rounds can be gotten fairly cheap, so I guess it wouldn't be awfully expensive to shoot up a few mags on full auto.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,043 Senior Member
    Here is the $99 clone:
    https://www.bumpfiresystems.com/
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Excellent, thank you. I've got that baby bookmarked. I notice it was marked down from $149 to $99. Maybe they're not as popular as one would think.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    I googled the bump-fire platform and found a few weapons retailers selling similar devices for $250 at the next lowest price to $495 for a trigger mechanism that does the same thing without the stock. Do you think the $99 special is similar in quality to the others that are more money?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,142 Senior Member
    Wasn't it Wambli`s son that had one?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    My main issue with a slide fire mechanism is that I don't have a place to go shoot it. No public ranges would allow them.
    I'm just here for snark.
    cpj wrote: »
    I never saw it. If he did, he's getting a swift nut kick for not showing it off!
    You going to bring a step stool so you can kick that high?
    I'm just here for snark.
    Oh, a leaping head butt?
    I'm just here for snark.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Oh, a leaping head butt?

LMAO
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Did they quit making belt loops?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
  • LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    The slide fire stock is a ton of fun but I do not view them as practical for say during the above mentioned zombie invasion.

The one thing I noticed on the one I that I used to burn a couple of mags on was that my trigger finger got tired and sorta cramped my hand up.

There is also another brand I think is called bumpski or something like that. They seem to be well made although I've never used one.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    My friend has one...showed up at my place for some 22 practice for the kids...then brought that out.
    Dang it was sweet...and in the back yard. My youngest, 9, even shot it (I was holding the barrel, and only gave him a 5 round mag).
    He's been begging me to get one ever since.
    I have just about as much fun with a 10-22, a thumb and a belt loop.

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
    cpj wrote: »
    You showing up to Jerrys next year?
    Hope to.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Hope to.

Bring a step stool and any other carny accessories you may have laying around
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    AR-15
    Shoestring
    Belt loop

Total cost less than $1.00

Rock and roll!
    :applause:
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    It's pretty easy to do with a standard stock from the shoulder. Just takes a sort of unnatural grip on the pistol grip and a fairly rigid push back into the shoulder with the support hand. Firing hand/arm are locked rigid, pull trigger, and the recoil will reset the trigger, and with the firing arm rigid the trigger will make contact again with the trigger finger coming out of recoil and fire again, and again, and again and.............empty magazine.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 623 Senior Member
    I have a Slidefire on my AK & its fun and expensive. I didn`t buy one for the AR yet because the AK`s cheaper to shoot
    I think I will buy the $99 special. When I was in basic training in 1970, they allowed us to fire a 20 round mag at full auto in 3-4 shot bursts. That was the funnest time I ever had with a rifle and have always wanted another chance to do that. Then some idiot got a hot round down his shirt, and he started hopping around like a jackrabbit while still firing on full auto. There were about a hundred of us trainees sitting on the bleachers behind this jerk. Needless to say the D.I. was watching this and grabbed him, the rifle and threw him to the ground before he rotated 180 degrees to shoot up the people in the bleachers. That was the end of that training exercise.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    OK, I ordered the thing, and it should arrive this week because the seller is in Florida. $99.99 plus $12.00 for tax and shipping. If I can find a range that will allow me to fire my AR with it, I'll make a range report on it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Grabagun has been running some pretty good deals on SlideFires recently. I grabbed one-just in time for the ATF to threaten to disrupt the ammo supply. Oh well, things haven't gone totally berserk yet, cheap ammo is still out there. Tried it out the other day, hella fun, gonna try a lighter weight upper next, see how that affects rate of fire and controlability.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    Well, the stock is mounted and just waiting for a place to shoot it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Think I might have goofed up a bit when I assembled my lightweight upper, had a muzzlebrake laying around so I tossed that on. Now it doesn't have the muzzle rise that the heavier upper had, but I can only reliably get doubles and triples out of it, no long strings. Next time, I'll bring along a thread protector, as well as an A1 birdcage, see how those perform. If that doesn't work, I'll try adding weight. Obviously, I could probably get it to perform as-is if I practiced some more, but I want to make it as easy to operate as possible, for when I'm shooting with friends and family.
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 623 Senior Member
    I put one on my AK and it worked great fired everything I ran through it then I put one on my AR and it works sometimes I tried different ammo and its still the same it will sometimes cycle fine then it will cycle 3-5 times it doesn't jam or anything it just wont cycle rounds the next trigger pull it will fire
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    AR's seem to do better with light triggers. Not enough recoil to cause it to work I guess.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    The Slide Fire brand comes with a pretty decent trigger (lighter). It was on sale recently for 167.00, people were buying the kit just for the trigger.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    I installed an RRA two-stage trigger last year, so maybe it will work better with the bump-fire stock I have. Anyway, Jerry gave me permission to fire it at the SE Shoot this year and I'm gonna' relive "basic training" LOL, except without getting a hot shell down my shirt and spinning around while firing, like one dumb-butt trainee did the day I was at the range there.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    My main issue with a slide fire mechanism is that I don't have a place to go shoot it. No public ranges would allow them.

That's what I have a back yard for. Anybody has anything too cool has to bring it to my house to cut firewood with.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    Got a little range time after swapping the muzzlebrake out, putting an A1 birdcage in its place. Put five rounds in the mag, it spit 'em out real smooth, in a single burst. Ten rounds, same deal. Nice. Then I figured I better let the barrel cool down, before I put the rifle back in the case and headed to work. Not a whole lot of range time, but I'm gonna call that a success. A rundown of parts, just for giggles:
    Stripped M4 upper receiver
    Govt. profile 20" barrel w/ M4 ramps in the extension
    Low profile gas block
    Rifle length gas tube
    Hogue carbine length ff tube/nut
    El Cheapo charging handle
    Standard BCG
    Cheap milspec lower
    CMMG LPK
    UTG 6-Position buffer tube kit
    And, of course, SlideFire stock kit.

edit: Got a little more range time today, using some 55grRussian steelcase ammo. Ran pretty good, had about one stoppage per magazine. Which, from what I've read on UziTalk, seems about in-line with most stock civilian market machineguns, before ya tune 'em up.
    Opened up the gas port to 7/64", 1/64" larger than it came with, then countersunk it at the surface with larger drill bits to reduce its sensitivity to gas block position (caused short-stroking during a previous outing.) Got several good mag dumps with the stock trigger, a cheap polymer mag, and SilverBear 55grain ammo. Going to have to try out more of my MagPul mags, they've proven themselves great for semi-auto, but I shouldn't just assume that they'll be flawless in simulated full-auto.