Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Essay on "The killing of Bin Laden" by Seymour Hersh.

coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior MemberPosts: 6,632 Senior Member
I'm not sure what to make of this...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEQQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lrb.co.uk%2Fv37%2Fn10%2Fseymour-m-hersh%2Fthe-killing-of-osama-bin-laden&ei=bOxPVeq0B4TeoASwoIHoBQ&usg=AFQjCNExNTAu9RyLo-ahpGr0XgImoRm0qw

It's a long read, but pretty interesting. The essay/article itself has no real citations, but reads like it's been researched. What say ye, oh learned forum brethren?
"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
George Carlin

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to make of this...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEQQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lrb.co.uk%2Fv37%2Fn10%2Fseymour-m-hersh%2Fthe-killing-of-osama-bin-laden&ei=bOxPVeq0B4TeoASwoIHoBQ&usg=AFQjCNExNTAu9RyLo-ahpGr0XgImoRm0qw

It's a long read, but pretty interesting. The essay/article itself has no real citations, but reads like it's been researched. What say ye, oh learned forum brethren?

Knowing this administration, it's anybodies guess what all happened. Seeing as there was no body shown to the public I often wounder if it even happened. Also, if it did, Obama had little to do with it because the operation was never started on Obama's watch. It was started on Ws watch 4 years before, That may be why he kept Robert Gates on for awhile. Not that he was trying to do good for the country, but it sure helped Obummer get re-elected. He was a real hero to the low info crowd thinks he's Super Man now.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Is the author British? You know how they are, can talk 10 hours on a 10 minute topic :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Is the author British? You know how they are, can talk 10 hours on a 10 minute topic :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :jester:

So can Democrats.......:tooth:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    My first thought, no Grassy Knoll, cannot be true.........but it's on the BBC. :yikes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32698016
    Rob O'neil who shot OBL is on TV and said it is BS.................................................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    Rob O'neil who shot OBL is on TV and said it is BS.................................................
    How do we know O'Neill really killed bin Laden? Maybe he's just a mouthpiece by the administration to further their narrative of what happened? (said with tinfoil hat snugly on my head.)
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member

(CNN)Seymour Hersh is one of the giants of investigative journalism. Early in his career he broke the story of the My Lai massacre during which hundreds of unarmed civilians were killed by U.S. soldiers in Vietnam in 1968.

Hersh was still going strong after 9/11, breaking (along with "60 Minutes") the story of the prisoner abuses by U.S. soldiers at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq for The New Yorker in 2004.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I read the whole thing. Honestly? So what?

The Pakistani's had to do what they had to do to protect their own interests, and we wanted Bin Laden dead. Obama lies and throws people under the bus. I always figured the "outrage" and denial of knowledge by the Pakistan military has always been an act to cover their butts from their citizens.

There has been and will always be things that we do not know the truth about, and sometimes, we are better off that way.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    May of had a past of being responsible, but this time he took the word of some Pakistanis (and others) and we know what that is worth.

The man said he shot OBL twice in the head and once in the face when he fell to the floor and it was absurd about the helicopter body parts being thrown out.

I'm sure there is a lot we will never know, nor should we. Good thing is the terrorist is long dead now.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    (CNN)Seymour Hersh is one of the giants of investigative journalism. Early in his career he broke the story of the My Lai massacre during which hundreds of unarmed civilians were killed by U.S. soldiers in Vietnam in 1968.

Hersh was still going strong after 9/11, breaking (along with "60 Minutes") the story of the prisoner abuses by U.S. soldiers at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq for The New Yorker in 2004.

Don't forget one thing. Seymour Hersh has routinely used anonymous sources for years in his stories. He generally is not recognized by the mainstream news media as a reporter per se. That is . . . a reporter with questionable credibility.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    . . . a reporter with questionable credibility.

Sort of like Dan Rather and Brian Williams, right?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Sort of like Dan Rather and Brian Williams, right?
    :uhm:
    Jerry

NA MAN I wouldn't put anybody in that bracket. He's probably a whole lot more ethical than those two clowns....

..........:nono:..........:buff2:..........:silly:..........:tissue:..........:tooth:
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    NA MAN I wouldn't put anybody in that bracket. He's probably a whole lot more ethical than those two clowns....

..........:nono:..........:buff2:..........:silly:..........:tissue:..........:tooth:

Oh, so more like Rolling Stone?
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Well, this is why I ask...with no citations, the article is suspect. Add his reputation, meh...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    The truth of the matter is we probably won't know what actually happened. Not 100%. And I'd suspect that if the Pakistani military head and intelligence head knew what was coming, the US would deny informing them because of the possible Pakistani civilian blowback on helping Americans. That country is a powder keg with a short fuse. So yeah, I do think the Obama administration probably "lied" to us on this, but some of it I can understand.

Not sure I really trust this article. Nevermind Hersh's use of anonymous sources - in an instance like this, who would own up to passing on this info? - if you look at a lot of the stuff Hersh has written over the years, it tries to discredit the US military and the Presidency regardless of who is in office. He seems biased and to write his stories in a certain direction. He might also be looking in that when he does his investigations. I'm not sure he's as unbiased as his job would necessitate.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    That would make a good book.... In the fiction section.
    Anyone that's knows anything about strategic level Intel and assets would tell you that article is just a really good yarn. SCI

But, I don't think for a second the administration Has told us everything about the raid, and nor should they.

The Pakistani's are as clean as a septic tank overflowing. Reference HQI.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."