A picture...

wildgenewildgene Senior MemberPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
...is worth a thousand words...

374119_2404820152692_1016781721_2784461_1537624758_n.jpg

Replies

• beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    That would be a mighty long walk to those mountains unless you were on horse back
  • jwv2001jwv2001 Member Posts: 125 Member
    Is there a reason?
    .....if evil men were not now and then slain it would not be a good world for weaponless dreamers. --Kipling
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    No vehicle roads usually have gates in these parts.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Somebody's been ignoring that sign a lot.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    I think it has to do with access so there are less people and less hunters. Seem like the U.S. forestry department is slowly getting control of public land and finding ways to make it hard for we the tax payers to have access to the very things we pay for. I could be wrong but that is what the picture looks like to me.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    I think it has to do with access so there are less people and less hunters. Seem like the U.S. forestry department is slowly getting control of public land and finding ways to make it hard for we the tax payers to have access to the very things we pay for. I could be wrong but that is what the picture looks like to me.

Yeah. I'd bet that 2 track was there long, long before the sign. Sure go hunt those mountains, lots of elk up there. But you gotta walk, from HERE!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    And all this time I was thinkin it was just two parallel horse paths.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • deadeyedeadeye Member Posts: 73 Member
    I know when i lived in Montana, we had to hunt by foot or horse. If we got game down, we had to contact the authorities so we could get permission to drive back to pick up the game only.
    No Need To Run, You Will Only Die Tired
    Well look what the cat drug in? Hey Deadeye, take your teeth out and sit a spell, LOL!!! Just wondering what you been up to.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,046 Senior Member
    I like those signs...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    *high fives Ernie*

Love those sings myself. I keeps idiot non-res and lazy hunters from just driving around the woods thinking they'll see elk, and ruining that area for the rest of us who actually put foot to dirt and go hunt. The Rockies are some of last wild places we have left, and they're getting less wild each year, these signs make me happy.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I like those signs...

:that:
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    *high fives Ernie*

Love those sings myself. I keeps idiot non-res and lazy hunters from just driving around the woods thinking they'll see elk, and ruining that area for the rest of us who actually put foot to dirt and go hunt. The Rockies are some of last wild places we have left, and they're getting less wild each year, these signs make me happy.

...just remember you said that 10yrs. from now when there is no public access to public lands. You might want to check w/ your local Ranger Districts & ask 'em how many easements they have abandoned, how many rds. they closed in the past 20yrs., or maybe look up HR1997/ S109...
    I like those signs...

????????? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq-jffdmDIU

Is that your vehicle between you and the antelope?
    .....if evil men were not now and then slain it would not be a good world for weaponless dreamers. --Kipling
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,046 Senior Member
    Yes.
    It is a 2-track on private land.
    jwv2001 wrote: »
    ????????? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq-jffdmDIU

Is that your vehicle between you and the antelope?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    *high fives Ernie*

Me too as long as they're about limiting access to a pristine hunting area so you don't make game skiddish and not about the tree and bunny huggers trying to stop us from hunting.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I don't mind those signs. We have em all over the place in MT. Most of the ones I've seen the tracks only go another couple hundred yards before driving would be the most **** thing you could do back there. If ya down something huge just use a sled or cart.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...just remember you said that 10yrs. from now when there is no public access to public lands. You might want to check w/ your local Ranger Districts & ask 'em how many easements they have abandoned, how many rds. they closed in the past 20yrs., or maybe look up HR1997/ S109...

In PA, the MTU's (motorized trespassing units, AKA 4 wheelers) would have all the ground around that sign tore up and likely the sign would be on the ground.

Putting a little effort into the hunt or to go to the wild places is worth it. The sign doesnt say you cant go, it just says that if you want to go, you can't be a lazy pah-toot.

Sorry, but in the last few years the PAGC has caved to every lazy individual's whim and have dang near taken the effort out of the sport. Next thing they will do is try to get the modern component rifles into the flintlock season, but that still might be to hard and they will probably have to legalize road hunting with spotlights after doing away with vehicular trespass laws to satisfy the whiners.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...so what do you consider "lazy", how far are you willing to pack a quarter or drag a deer??? Maybe a little "scale" is in order, like my backyard, call it Carter Mt. Units 58/59/60...

...there's about 85mi. of Forest Boundary enclosing around 500,000ac. surrounded by private lands, w/ 5 access points. these small 2-tracks tend to disperse the hunters a little, it gets damncrowded when every one has to park & hunt from the same place. I know I'm not the sharpest knife, I was @ the 6mi. marker up Graham Cr. when my brother shot a cow @ the 5mi. marker, I went out, got the packboards, then packed out a quarter. Don't know how many quarters I packed out in N.ID., but I've shot ten elk here in WY that I've quartered & packed out by myself, avg. about 1.5mi. That's 8 trips there & back, not counting getting there to shoot 'em in the first place. There's quite a bit of difference between places where you're never more than a mi. from a rd., & where the nearest access is miles away...

Love those sings myself. I keeps idiot non-res and lazy hunters from just driving around the woods thinking they'll see elk.....

So roadhunting is the problem? Yeah, I feel that way myself. I don't care for roadhunting.
    But it is public land, bought and paid for by the public.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    jwv2001 wrote: »
    So roadhunting is the problem? Yeah, I feel that way myself. I don't care for roadhunting.
    But it is public land, bought and paid for by the public.

True, true. But I paid for it too, and I paid for my tag as well, do I deserve to have my hunts ruined by someone who wants to drive around trying to spook some elk out? The bigger problem in my area is/was (those signs are going up in 551) those trails turned into 4 wheeler trails, and slowly turned into jeep trails, and then turned into roads basically, and never were supposed to be. Thankfully, they're closing most of them, and its the Div of Wildlife doing it to keep pressure lower on the animals then it is bunny huggers closing off public land.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.