Berger
    NBT's
    SGK's
    Lot of good bullets out there
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    What is the allure of dropping the deer right on the spot? All but two deer I have shot in my life have been one shot kills. Some ran, some didn't. I don't care if a deer runs. I can track them and they usually don't go far. A high shoulder (as pictured above) destroys, or severely damages the front of the backstrap, top of shoulder, and neck meat. That is not my preferred shot. I prefer low behind the shoulder to take out the top of the heart / bottom of lungs. Often, they run. But not far and bleed like crazy....................Either way, it makes no never mind to me. I just prefer more meat and a little tracking to DRT and bloodshot meat. I have been perfectly satisfied with lung and heart shots behind the shoulder or low behind the shoulder. When I did a bunch of culling, I used a .22-250 and made head shots or just below the head in the upper neck.

OK, good for you doing what pleases you and what you like. Glad it works for you.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    But my question was (to whomever), why the desire for DRT? Is it a fear of losing the deer on neighboring property? Hunting public land? Not wanting to track? What? Just curious.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member
    If I am in heavy cover, sometimes I want to put them down fast.
    Other times I will go for the lungs
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    Lots of reasons for the high shoulder shot. DRT is great because of what you said, no tracking, no chance to lose the animal. But also because of less (no) suffering for the critter plus instant gratification for the hunter--no doubts, job well done. I haven't encountered it yet, but have seen video of cases where if the animal wasn't pole-axed it could fall or slide into an area where recovery would be very dangerous, if not impossible, and could damage the trophy getting there.

But in addition to DRT, the high shoulder shot has a high margin of error, with almost no chance of wounding unless a simply horrendous shot. If you miss high (very rare-- most people underestimate range) it's a clean miss. If you miss right or left it still hits neck or spine, and low gets the heart and/or lungs. Yes it can waste a little meat, but I'm not a subsistance hunter. I'm a sport hunter who still utilizes all the meat I can, but it's not my primary purpose.

Yes, it's the high shoulder for me every time possible. If the animal is facing me, then right at the base of the neck.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,419 Senior Member
    BP, I'm with you- - - - -I prefer the heart/lung shot, with minimal meat waste. The funny thing is, the vast majority of deer I've hit that way didn't run. They just fell over, or made a couple of jumps at the most. I used a 130 grain .30 caliber bullet at 3100 FPS or slightly more from a .30-06 Mauser to kill 30+ deer from 25 yards to over 300, all with virtually no tracking involved. The same bullet from a .308 Browning BBR at 2900 didn't do as well, so I'm guessing there's something about the 3K FPS bullet speed that drops them in their tracks. My 6.5-06 with 125 grain Nosler Partitions at 31-3200 does basically the same thing- - - -a heart-lung shot makes 'em drop in place. A 50-yard run in some places on my farm makes for a very difficult tracking job, even with a good blood trail.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I thought those dots looked a little high... I generally go for the neck unless it's too far to be sure of that shot or if for some reason it's not an option (obstructed target)

BP I want it DRT because most of the areas I hunt is state/public/blm land with a bunch of jerk wads who own the property next to it. If it were to run on to their land I would not be able to claim it. The more open areas where a little running would be fine have some pretty nasty terrainif they ran too far I would have a VERY hard time getting them if I could even get to where ever it is they ran to.

I've hit plenty of critters, deer included, with a heart/lung and they never ran. Maybe stumbled a little bit, but no running.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,853 Senior Member
    If I am in heavy cover, sometimes I want to put them down fast.
    Other times I will go for the lungs

:that:

And also, I don't really mess with neck meat because I don't make much deer sausage. If you shoot high and a bit forward, it doesn't really get the back strap or the tenderloin. But it puts it down where there's no chance of it running off and me not finding it. Another thing that I really believe is that the meat is better if you kill it before it runs and pumps adrinilonall in the meat. And the animal will not suffer at all.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    It really has to do with shot placement as well as using the right constructed bullet for the task. Note the black dots on these different posses of whitetail deer. This is where I put my shots to get the results I have gotten for so many years and with the above mentioned bullets I posted that have made so many one shot kills. That is why I practice with my deer loads from 100yds to 600yds so when I range my deer I know I can put it in this spot.

3a123789-1.jpg

3728878e-1.jpg

I could make those shots on these deer too but I would have to pee my pants first!!!! We don't get them that nice where I hunt.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    timc, I am hoping in the first part of December to have a chance at one that might fall in the class of whitetails I posted pictures of and it will be an exciting time in two ways. I get to hunt a place like that and at the same time get to use my new Nosler M48 TGR 7mm-08 on the hunt.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    700 Rem.ADL with Seirra 150grSP
    timc wrote: »
    I could make those shots on these deer too but I would have to pee my pants first!!!! We don't get them that nice where I hunt.

I like to shoot it about that height and about 3-4 inches more forward. As for heart shots, I"ve seen deer that ran a long way and the heart was blown to pieces. But it all really depends on the terrain where I'm hunting. If its real brushy with thick cover, a deer can run as little as 40 yards and you may lose it.

But let's be realistic, there is no 100% of the time perfect shot. This is only an opinion question. I have just had better luck with a high shoulder shot than a lower heart-lung shot. Others have had the oposite results. There are prows and cons to both shots. Actually I was always told that a neck shot was bad about woundiing animals. However, my personal experience taught me different. Also, amen to peeing your pants. If I hunted there where the deer looked like that, I'd have to wear " Depends!"
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,532 Senior Member
    t-16939.jpg
    Hopefully this year their bigger brothers in .530 will work as well.

other than those..
    30-06 165gr Sierra GK btsp
    25-06 100 gr Hornady sp
    243 100 gr Sierra btsp
    30-30 125 gr Sierra Prohunter

Placed right here
    plumbing.jpg
    http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/whitetail2.htm
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,521 Senior Member
    For many years, for .270 & any .30 it was Rem. Bronze points, now Hornady Surer proformance
    For .358 Win 225 Sierra boattail

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Jay, I would say for where you hunt, those are two near perfect loads, especially that .358 Win. That will hit em like a freight train.